Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times

Advertisements

I mean, Germantown is far from ghetto as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Its really not even ghetto anymore. They literally rebuilt everything East of Rosa Parks blvd. And as far the the West side, Cheatham place is a lot more tame than some other housing projects in the city.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Maybe not, but no one in their right mind would call Germantown ghetto. The proposed site for the ballpark is sandwiched between one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city and downtown. Ballpark or not, that area is going to develop. One of the main reasons it has been slow to do so is because 1) the state owns a lot of the land, and uses it for parking and 2) some of the area is in a flood plain.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 PM

201 posts, read 320,034 times
Will Greer Stadium then be taken over by Belmont for the Bruins to play there?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:12 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times
The thermal site would have been great and very reminiscent of the ballpark in downtown Chattanooga. Very close to the river and easily accessible from all areas of downtown.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids78 View Post
Will Greer Stadium then be taken over by Belmont for the Bruins to play there?
I'm not sure what the future plans are. I have my own vision of what could go on the site. I think it could make for an awesome museum campus. But who knows what Metro wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
The thermal site would have been great and very reminiscent of the ballpark in downtown Chattanooga. Very close to the river and easily accessible from all areas of downtown.
I would've been very happy with the thermal site being chosen for baseball. I think that would've made a nice triangle between the current pro venues, and the added benefit (aside from the downtown and river views) would be the shared parking for the new ballpark...essentially, they would only need to account for the boxes and personnel. Fan parking could be easily absorbed in that area.

I suppose they thought that a non-downtown site would boost development...and it might...but to be honest, nowhere around downtown (aside from the scrapyard on the east bank) *needs* any help with attracting development.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
They said the exact same thing when they built a new arena for the Spurs in San Antonio - 'if you build the arena, economic development will follow and the whole area will blow up.' Just a few miles from downtown San Antonio, the new stadium still sits all alone in the heart of the ghetto more than a decade later.
On the other side of the coin is San Francisco. They built AT&T Park in a depressed area and now it's the home of million-dollar condos, restaurants, shops, all kinds of media and internet companies, hotels, etc. It's now one of the more wanted areas of the city.

I have friends who bought a building and opened an Irish pub well before the ballpark was a guaranteed thing. People told them they were going to lose their shirts but today they have a thriving business and building that has probably tripled in value.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
On the other side of the coin is San Francisco. They built AT&T Park in a depressed area and now it's the home of million-dollar condos, restaurants, shops, all kinds of media and internet companies, hotels, etc. It's now one of the more wanted areas of the city.

I have friends who bought a building and opened an Irish pub well before the ballpark was a guaranteed thing. People told them they were going to lose their shirts but today they have a thriving business and building that has probably tripled in value.
I have heard Hunter's Point called many things. But one of the most wanted areas of San Francisco?

Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
I have heard Hunter's Point called many things. But one of the most wanted areas of San Francisco?
We are talking about the Giants baseball stadium not Candlestick Park. It is nowhere near Hunters Point. Under 2,000 sq ft for $1,698,000 and walking distance to the ballpark (and many restaurants, bars, shops and Whole Foods), plus easy freeway access is slumming it I guess.

The location they've picked is great IMO. Won't hurt me either when property values go up more than they have already.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
But was the area around the stadium headed for success anyway? I mean, even without the ballpark, Germantown/Salemtown will do fine, and eventually the areas around the neighborhoods. A stadium might help that success along, but I don't know if it's a all/nothing scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville