Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Also, we don't require gay people to stay in the "gay area" or to go only to gay bars. It doesn't sound like the OP wants that anyway.

Josh, Nashville is of course different from LA. But its core is creativity.

I would suggest coming here for a long weekend and getting a feel for it yourself. You will be able to view properties you like and see if the rent range will actually work for your budget.

I think it will feel like getting in on the ground floor as a city is experiencing an exciting culture shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Nordstrom's was a long time in coming to Nashville. It was all planned and then the economy tanked and the lot sat empty for a few years. Very high end mall with lots of high end stores. I feel it's a bit on the small size in terms of retail space (Nordstrom's) but I could be wrong. The restaurant for SURE is smaller than I am used to. They have a nice coffee cafe that spreads out into the atrium - nice airy place to sit and it's right near the Apple store .

Here is the website for the mall if you haven't checked it out already:
Green Hills

Green Hills is also home to a Whole Foods and the only Trader Joe's in town. There's also a big movieplex. And our one remaining independent book store, Parnassus (Parnassus Books) is there. The area is also home to the infamous Bluebird Cafe (The Bluebird Cafe | Nashville, TN) and the Donut Den (Fox's Donut Den Home Page).

Just pointing out that it's a hugely vibrant and busy few blocks, and perhaps at the end of the day you might be happy living quietly in the burbs - as everything you might need would be available during your work day.

I know NOTHING about this apartment complex but Berry Hill is a cool area and, as mentioned, might be in your price range (Bransford House Apartments - Nashville, TN 37204 | Apartments for Rent).

There's no personal income tax in TN which might give you a little more take home pay. Southwest has direct flights from LAX to Nashville (maybe some other carriers do too) but flying out of Burbank (with a change in Vegas or Austin) is a bit cheaper. Gas is probably cheaper but since it can get cooler here you probably won't save much on electricity.

I agree it is an exciting time for Nashville. Not sure if it means anything but quite a few of the actors on ABC's "Nashville" (required watching if you move here . . . ) are really enamored with the city.

Hayden Panettiere was recently interviewed in Nashville magazine and said "I love LA, but Nashville is truly special. The southern hospitality and community support for struggling artists is the real difference. You don't have to be wary of people here." Yeah, I know, it's Hayden Panettiere . but really, for a couple of years to further your career? It's a good place right now . . best of luck!

PS. This can be a helpful website . . some of the listings are out of date but it gives you a feel for rents in certain areas . and if you find something, run it by us for opinions on the area:

https://www.padmapper.com/

You can even type in Green Hills TN and it will kinda show up in the middle. Berry Hill is over to the East where 65 intersects with 440, it's in the Southeast quadrant of that big intersection.

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 08-27-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
I must say N Cal....your experience as a gay man has been totally different from my experience. I've lived here for 19 years...I've seen gay bars come and go...there are more than 2. The people who go to Tribe and Play are different from the people who go to the Stirrup are different than the people who go to Canvas...etc. I'm sorry that you and your friends dislike it here so much. I can't say that I know every gay person in Nashville. Most of my friends (who are gay) don't really go out anymore. Going to the "gay bar" is kind of passe' these days. People just go to bars. I know...I mostly frequent the bars around my house.
Considering I'm a hetero female, that's not surprising. I'm just giving my coworkers' (and their partners') opinions. WHere is this Stirrup place? I'll have to pass that along. I'm to the point where I don't hate it here (bought a house for christ sakes), but not loving it yet. My coworkers feel differently (I hear it daily). Two (married) coworkers and their kids live in the 'burbs. The other two are young and like to go out. And, they get asked "what are you" [nationality] often.

The OPer might look into a share situation to start with only a $700 budget. Especially if he wants to be around a more urban area.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:43 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,435 times
I know you aren't gay...I was just being sarcastic (sorry). Anyway...the Stirrup is down on 4th near the fairgrounds. It's smoking...so I've never been. I hear it's fun...I think it's generally an older crowd. I mostly go to Holland House, 308 or Tenn 16 or places in my neighborhood that are non smoking. I have several straight friends that love Showtune Sundays at Tribe....so that's pretty much the only time I go to a gay bar. Most of the gay people in my neighborhood tend to do the same. I know that no place is utopia and I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to love Nashville. There are things that I would like to change as well. BUT, having lived here for a while...things have changed. I think it's exciting to watch things evolve. I appreciate where I live...and I think there are lots of great people here. I hope that your coworkers make it back to CA if that will make them happy. Life is too short. Where are they going out that people will ask them in that way so often? I'm not saying someone couldn't ask that question...but I find it hard to believe that it would only happen in Nashville.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
If you are able to afford more, I second looking in Green Hills and 12 South. Both great areas of town and close to your work. Generally people avoid Green Hills because of the traffic, but you will be driving in it every day to get to work, so might as well consider living there. My husband and I lived in Green Hills when we first moved to Nashville and really enjoyed it.

12 South was not an option when we moved here, but it has gentrified and is a really great part of town. You could also get to work easily from there as you could take mostly back streets to the mall.

The other place I would consider would be looking west of Green Hills Mall- towards the intersection of Woodmont and Harding. That is also a nice area and there are quite a few condo complexes where you might be able to rent from an owner. I would not go west of the Target on Woodmont (which is actually called White Bridge at that point, street names often change here).

I think you will be fine here. One thing I've noticed from reading this board is that most people who are miserable here are people who decided they would be miserable before ever moving here. No place is right for everyone, but the vast majority of people who move here with an open mind tend to be happy.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:52 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You mean the two gay bars? Don't worry they're right next to each other and owned bt the same people. You will pretty much meet everyone gay in town because that's where they all end up going. And you'll unfortunately see all of the closeted married men who really are gay but cannot admit it. The closest area to live would be the Gulch. But that is well beyond your budget because one-bedrooms there will run near $1500 a month.

Have you ever visited here? I ask because I have gay coworkers who moved here from SF and it's been a tremendous tremendous culture shock. Both of them and their partners would move back in a heartbeat. In fact one of the partners is moving back in two weeks.
There are actually five LGBT bars and clubs on Church Street in addition to the OutCentral Community Center: Play, Tribe, Canvas Lounge, Vibe (tends to be more popular with LGBT people of color who enjoy hip hop & urban music), and Blue Genes (sort of a neighborhood gay dive bar feel w/ karaoke). There are about a handful of others scattered throughout the metro including Lipstick Lounge, Purple Heys and The Stirrup. There's even one in Smyrna. There's also QDP which is hosted monthly at the 5 Spot I believe.

While Nashville's LGBT scene is small and quite the adjustment for someone coming from SF, I do think you're being a tad hyperbolic. For the life of me, I don't understand how your gay friends keep running into these closet cases ( I feel like we talked about this before ), but I can only assume they're doing something wrong. I've admittedly been partnered for 8 years now, so I may be out of the loop some, but I don't even recall having that issue when I was single here before leaving a decade ago. Then again, I know how to navigate being gay in Middle America and would probably be fine in most cities around this size. I do agree that a visit is absolutely in order to see if it would work. I also think that Edgefield D is 100% correct about the decrease in interest in gay establishments corresponding with the rise of LGBT acceptance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The other place I would consider would be looking west of Green Hills Mall- towards the intersection of Woodmont and Harding. That is also a nice area and there are quite a few condo complexes where you might be able to rent from an owner. I would not go west of the Target on Woodmont (which is actually called White Bridge at that point, street names often change here).
Given the OP's budget and place of employment, I actually think White Bridge would be an excellent option. Any particular reason why you're against it?

Last edited by ariesjow; 08-27-2013 at 02:29 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Given the OP's budget and place of employment, I actually think White Bridge would be an excellent option. Any particular reason why you're against it?
I'm actually not against it, just not exactly sure where the safe vs. not safe areas are once you past that Target. But I know you are much more familiar with that area. Is it safe all the way to the interstate and beyond?

Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,435 times
Josh...one more thing I wanted to add. If it were me...and this is just what I would do in your position. Don't limit yourself too much on location, etc. Try to find something close to work that fits within your budget and try to get a shorter term lease...6 months or so. That will give you a little time to explore and figure out what what areas you like. 6 months goes by quick. We really don't know how important it is to you to live in a "hip" area or a "walkable" area. I know you said that you don't want to drive 10 mins to get to stores/restaurants....but that really doesn't narrow it down all that much. But, by all means...when you start researching feel free to ask questions about specific places.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Here's a suggestion.... look for renting part of a house in the 12South/Belmont area. It's an eclectic area (walkable in most parts) and close to Green Hills. Of course you won't have all the apartment complex amenities by doing that... but it's a great area to mingle with people at the universities and close to the music industry.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
(Parnassus Books) is there. The area is also home to the infamous Bluebird Cafe (The Bluebird Cafe | Nashville, TN) and the Donut Den (Fox's Donut Den Home Page).
Sorry to veer off topic, but......infamous Bluebird? Wha?? It might not be the Opry, but it's sacred ground to writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville