Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 AM

15 posts, read 21,827 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So...I'm moving from Los Angeles to Nashville for work...and have no idea about, well...anything. Most importantly I need to find a good place to live.

I'll be working at Nordstrom, so somewhere relatively close to there would be nice.
I am gay, but don't need to be right around the corner from the "gay area".

I mainly need a place that is a nice area, decent rent for a 1 bedroom, I don't want to have to drive 10 mins to get something to eat or a soda, I don't want to be scared ill get jumped for being gay (or anything else). Something in an area that's close enough to stuff to do but not right in it to pay a ton.

Does that make sense? Lol

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Nordstrom in in Green Hills, one of the nicer sections of town (with really bad traffic on the mains streets, but nothing compared to LA).

Do you have a certain amount in mind for rent? That would make a lot of difference on what anyone here could recommend.

Some parts of Green Hills and the surrounding areas are some of the most expensive in Nashville (Belle Meade, Oak Hill, Forest Hills, Brentwood). If the Green Hills area itself is out of your price range, then probably the second best area to look would be southeast of Green Hills over along Edmondson Pike and that area. You might look at Bellevue, but I suspect you would find it a bit dull (and not just because I live there).

If I were you I would first do an online search starting with Green Hills. I don't keep up with apartment rents so I have no idea whether you could find a small 1 BR in your price range or not (I somewhat doubt it, but maybe), then widen your search out from there. Once you find a few possible places or areas, then you could come back here and see if anyone has any knowledge of the places.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Do you have a certain amount in mind for rent? That would make a lot of difference on what anyone here could recommend.
As far as rent...thats another tricky part. Because the cost of living is so much different than it is here in LA, I'm still not 100% sure what exactly I'll be making. I've done some research and THINK I should be spending around $700/month (give or take $100 or so)...but still...all very up in the air.

Thanks again!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
I am gay, but don't need to be right around the corner from the "gay area".
You mean the two gay bars? Don't worry they're right next to each other and owned bt the same people. You will pretty much meet everyone gay in town because that's where they all end up going. And you'll unfortunately see all of the closeted married men who really are gay but cannot admit it. The closest area to live would be the Gulch. But that is well beyond your budget because one-bedrooms there will run near $1500 a month.

Have you ever visited here? I ask because I have gay coworkers who moved here from SF and it's been a tremendous tremendous culture shock. Both of them and their partners would move back in a heartbeat. In fact one of the partners is moving back in two weeks.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:36 AM

$700 would be a bit on the low end, even for here, I think. You might have to settle for something in one of the decent but less expensive areas such as north of Charlotte Pike in West Nashville. The Edmondson Pike area would still be possible, I think, but I'm not sure. Others here may be able to point you in a better direction than I can.

By the way, outside of outright redneck bars, the places you would mostly find trouble are areas that you would want to stay out of anyway (there are places I stay out of and I'm a big, straight guy). Someone might gets jumped in those areas, but not necessarily because they were gay. Nashville isn't LA, of course, but it's still big enough to have nice areas and bad areas.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 AM

ha...two whole gay bars huh? sweet. loll

Honestly it's not THAT big a deal to me. I've lived here in LA, in NYC, in Orlando and grew up in Minnesota. So I'm very used to adapting to new cultures. I did my party every night days, I did the loaner "I'm just going to stay in all the time" days...and now I'm moving to this store to further my career (shocker huh?). I'm more concerned about being in an area that won't get me constant death threats or harassment...some is fine, I'm a big boy. Ha

(yes I know...slightly exaggerated, but you get the idea...ha)

Old 08-27-2013, 04:42 AM

Hmm ok...like I said, I'm kind of just piecing all these numbers together from different websites that are trying to convert my pay/rent here to a Nashville one. It's driving me a little crazy. But thank you for all the advice! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
$700 would be a bit on the low end, even for here, I think. You might have to settle for something in one of the decent but less expensive areas such as north of Charlotte Pike in West Nashville. The Edmondson Pike area would still be possible, I think, but I'm not sure. Others here may be able to point you in a better direction than I can.

By the way, outside of outright redneck bars, the places you would mostly find trouble are areas that you would want to stay out of anyway (there are places I stay out of and I'm a big, straight guy). Someone might gets jumped in those areas, but not necessarily because they were guy. Nashville isn't LA, of course, but it's still big enough to have nice areas and bad areas.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 AM

If you're that flexible, then you could at least look in Bellevue. You could possibly find a 1 BR for $800 here. It's a very safe area and reasonably close to Green Hills (especially once you learn your way around and learn where the shortcuts are).

You can find all your basic needs in Bellevue (groceries, fast food, cleaners, etc.), but limited nightlife. Our big excitement is watching fireworks on the Fourth of July and walking in the park.

I would still look closer to Green Hills if I were you, but you can keep it in mind.

There could be something off of White Bridge nearer to Charlotte Pike, but I'm not sure.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:09 AM

473 posts, read 521,153 times
If you can stretch your budget a bit, I would look in 12South and the surrounding areas, if you want a truly walkable, neighborhood feel. Speaking as another city person, places like Bellevue are going to feel isolated in that "drive 10 minutes to get a soda" way (even if the drive is technically 5-7 minutes.)

You could also live in Green Hills itself; there are plenty of apartments and townhomes. I would also look around Berry Hill or West Nashville/West End. The closer you get to Vanderbilt, the younger the crowd (pro or con, depending on your perspective), and the more progressive or "hip" the vibe (i.e. the closest you'll get to "urban" living here.)

Old 08-27-2013, 06:11 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You mean the two gay bars? Don't worry they're right next to each other and owned bt the same people. You will pretty much meet everyone gay in town because that's where they all end up going. And you'll unfortunately see all of the closeted married men who really are gay but cannot admit it. The closest area to live would be the Gulch. But that is well beyond your budget because one-bedrooms there will run near $1500 a month.

Have you ever visited here? I ask because I have gay coworkers who moved here from SF and it's been a tremendous tremendous culture shock. Both of them and their partners would move back in a heartbeat. In fact one of the partners is moving back in two weeks.
I must say N Cal....your experience as a gay man has been totally different from my experience. I've lived here for 19 years...I've seen gay bars come and go...there are more than 2. The people who go to Tribe and Play are different from the people who go to the Stirrup are different than the people who go to Canvas...etc. I'm sorry that you and your friends dislike it here so much. I can't say that I know every gay person in Nashville. Most of my friends (who are gay) don't really go out anymore. Going to the "gay bar" is kind of passe' these days. People just go to bars. I know...I mostly frequent the bars around my house.

To the OP. I've never once....not once...in 19 years had anyone make any kind of remark or give me a strange look...so as far as that, I think you will be fine. $700 is kind of on the low end....mostly because Nashville has recently become a little more popular and we have a shortage of rentals. I doubt you could find anything in Green Hills....maybe an older smaller unit? I second Alleycat re: Bellevue. There are some apartments on Franklin Rd at Thompson Lane...I think Greenbriar? I've known a couple people that have lived there. But not sure of the price. I would start looking at older complexes in Green Hills and just work your way out from there. If you find something and you need an opinion....just ask.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville