Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:23 AM

108 posts, read 165,621 times

Advertisements

Hi- My family is looking to relocate to the Nashville area from Las Vegas. Originally from Indiana, I am looking to get a bit closer to home. We considered Dallas (yeah, wasn't thinking of home at that time), and visited, but wasn't to our liking.

I am hoping you nice folks can help me narrow down some areas. Here is our wishlist (in no particular order):

-.5 acre minimum lot, private if possible
-max 300k
-rural, family-oriented; commute is not an issue since I work from home
-good schools
-hills would be a plus, a view of some sort a real big plus
-2k-3k sq. ft home size with basement
-age of home is not a factor; we like character, but can also add it ourselves

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,526,114 times
Leipers Fork maybe or Fairview

Parts of Rutherford County might be worth looking at too but I don't know that area very well.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:10 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,063,692 times
Your best bet is to do some searches on Realtracs.com which is the best website for Middle Tennessee real estate. I started with Williamson County as the schools are well thought of. I asked for properties under 300k, with at least .5 acres, and minimum of 2000 sq feet. Here are the results:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

If you want more rural then try some surrounding counties as your money will go further there (you just click on the county on the map).

Hills, we got. Basements, not so much. Very rare to find a REAL basement, though you might find a house built into the side of a hill which gives you a basement that usually opens up to the outside on the non hill side.

So I would check a few surrounding counties and see what your money can get - then you have to decide house vs location. Even though a commute is not a consideration, access to health care, ballet schools, concerts, shopping, and/or airport MIGHT be?

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 09-13-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Thanks Septimus... just looked at Fairview area and it looks promising!

Old 09-13-2013, 03:25 PM

Thanks to you too CountryGirl-- checking it out now! I guess a basement is not a requirement... just need quiet from the youngin's while working.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:37 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,526,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossTXTransplant View Post
Thanks to you too CountryGirl-- checking it out now! I guess a basement is not a requirement... just need quiet from the youngin's while working.
Bonus rooms over the garage are much more common here than basements.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Bonus rooms over the garage are much more common here than basements.
Good info, that could work. My only concern would be cooling (which may only be because I am working in an upstairs office in Las Vegas).

Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,063,692 times
The woman who had my (tiny) house built, insisted that the bonus room be included with the central heat and air and I have had no problems. Two vents up here - the coolest upstairs room. Ceiling fan helps a lot, too. I did see some bonus rooms with window ACs or 'after market' things like some motel rooms have . . certainly something to look out for but it is often much less 'rustic' than you are probably imagining.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:24 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,771,386 times
To the OP: I'm curious why you picked the Nashville area. Not that I blame you, I LOVE Nashville. But if you don't have a job in Nashville, are you open to exploring other areas a little farther out? I ask only because there are very few homes with basements in Nashville because of the layer of solid rock just under the topsoil. If you go about an hour east of Nashville you'll find basements galore as well as the views you were wanting.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-13-2013, 04:40 PM

An hour east is an option. I need to use the airport, but only once every couple months. My wife has a need to have a Target within 20-30 min., even closer if possible. We also like some of the city amenities like fine dining or Costco on occasion. (Odd combo, I know). If it were just up to me, I'd be all about becoming Grizzly Adams.

So while being close to a major city is somewhat important, I am also very keen to get more for my money.

The bonus room over the garage sounds like it could work. I also have a work colleague that built a standalone office in his backyard for around 15k. That is an option too. Where I live now, I chose the furthest room away on the second floor and it is still not as quiet as I would like with a 1 and 2-yr-old. I am on the phone a lot in conference calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville