Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times

Advertisements

Does anyone from here ever vacation in Pensacola or Panama City? Southwest has a good sale on today and I can FLY there for a little over $100! But when I am there, I might need a car so how is the drive from Nashville? Maybe it makes better sense to drive from here? Or once I am there can I pretty much just stay at one hotel for a few days and get around on foot? SW flies to both airports, is one area better than the other??? This will be for January . . . . thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
It's about an 8 hour drive, depending on stops. I travel to the 30A area between Destin and PCB once a year usually and it takes us about 8-9 hours with pit stops and a stop at the Cracker Barrel north of Montgomery, AL.

Pensacola is probably a little closer, but you're talking a difference of maybe 30 minutes drive time.

Personally, I like the drive. It's broken up pretty well: about 2 hours to Huntsville, another 90 minutes to Birmingham, another 90 minutes to Montgomery and then another 2.5 to the beach along some scenic (sometimes boring) roads.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:37 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
You can make Pensacola in under 7 hours if your gas tank permits. About 6 hours of highway/interstate driving, then a little more on the back roads.

If you go to Pensacola, get off at exit 69 and go towards Flomation, then catch US 29 to Pensacola. Do NOT continue on towards Mobile, unless you would rather go to Gulf Shores, instead.

The route to Panama City requires more non-interstate time, but can be made in under 8 hours with little traffic. You get off in Montgomery, and take 231 to Dothan and then on to Panama City.

Personally, I despise Panama City. Pensacola is OK, but not as tourist oriented. With that portion of the Gulf Coast, my suggestions would be Gulf Shores, AL, or Destin, FL. To get to Destin, get off at exit 151 (a little south of Montgomery, and head south on AL 97 to US 331, then continue through Opp, then to Florala. Then take FL 85 through Eglin AFB down to Fort Walton Beach, then east on US 98 to Destin.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 AM

222 posts, read 638,844 times
I should preface this with the fact that I tend to prefer driving when it's possible. We drove to Denver last Christmas, and I loved it! With that said, I'd say drive!
I've stayed in various areas on the Alabama/Florida coast. My favorite for that area is Navarre Beach, but you'd definitely want a car if you stay there.

I know you didn't ask, but...if you're interested in even warmer weather, you might consider doubling your drive time (or flying instead) to the Anna Maria Island area. It's just south of Tampa and north of Sarasota. LOVE it there. The sunsets are to die for, and there aren't any high rise condos.

Have a great time whatever you decide to do!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Sidenote: driving through Southern Alabama can be pretty boring, IMO. It's not a terrible drive, but it's pretty flat, with almost nothing to see. Same goes for Florida away from the coast.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:45 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I like Pensacola Beach. MUCH more Laid back than Destin. Pensacola itself is a Navy base town with plenty of retirees and the incredible practice site for the Blue Angels.

Panama City is the capital of the Redneck Riviera. Never again.

If you go to Pensacola Beach, eat at Peg Leg Pete's.

Orange Beach is kind of in-between, while Perdido Key is like Destin 30 years ago.

We ALWAYS drive, BUT If you're going for less than a week, might as well fly. Just pick lodging in walking distance of restaurants, or rent a car.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I like Pensacola Beach. MUCH more Laid back than Destin. Pensacola itself is a Navy base town with plenty of retirees and the incredible practice site for the Blue Angels.

Panama City is the capital of the Redneck Riviera. Never again.
My only experience with Pensacola Beach was a few months after a hurricane hit (my friend was from the Pensacola area -- we just drove down there for the fun of it). It was pretty dead, and they were still cleaning up. It seemed like it would be nice (under better circumstances)...a lot less...traveled...than Destin or PCB. But I didn't get an honest look at the area.

Destin has obviously been a vacation destination for quite a while. It's definitely more built up...but the beach is very nice. PCB...I agree. I hate that place. That's not a vacation.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Personally, I'm not a fan of Destin or PCB either. If forced to choose, I'd take Destin, but I like the laid back vibe of the 30A communities. No high rises, no tourist traps (well, not many), local restaurants. They do a great job of preserving the area from over-commercialization. And if you want putt-putt, go carts, and Alvin's Island type stores, Destin's just a 15 minute drive away.

I also really like Perdido Key as well. While it has high-rises, it is very laid back.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
In January, I would fly further south.

But if you are going to the panhandle, I agree it's an easy drive. And you'll most likely want a car when you get there. I like the little towns on 30A. Seagrove is nice and not as expensive as some of the other towns on that strip.

The beaches are beautiful, and you should be able to get a great deal on a place to rent in Jan. We know several retired families who spend a month or two down there during the winter.

Also agree on avoiding Panama City.

If you decide to fly further south, I would look at one of the islands around Tampa or Fort Myers, you may not need a car at some of them. Sanibel would be a great place to go. But the prices down there will be much higher in Jan. than the prices on the panhandle.

Update with where you decide to go, and maybe we can all send you suggestions with restaurants and things to do.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I totally read over the January part.

The panhandle will not be warm in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville