Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 AM

13 posts, read 38,666 times

Advertisements

we will be relocating to Nashville soon for my husbands job and need some info on where to look for a safe home.
We have two toddlers 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. We want to be in the suburbs within a 30 min drive to Nashville. Good schools, activities, parks etc. I will be staying home with the kids and my husband will travel a few days a week out of town so a safe neighborhood is a must. our price range is around 250k. Can anyone give me areas or neighborhoods to look at. I have done some research but any input would be helpful. We originally considered Murfreesboro but not sure if that will be to far from Nashville. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I'd look in Franklin . . . You can get to downtown Nashville in around 30 minutes (maybe more if it's peak rush hour but there are a few alternatives to the highway) and to the airport in less than that (again barring an accident, road construction, etc). Great schools. Downtown Franklin is very cute. Very close to Cool Springs which is basically a area with a mall and heaps of stores and restaurants.

Here are a few houses in Fieldstone Farms - a very large development with houses up to $500,000. They have a community pool, playgrounds, walking trails. Publix and Walgreens very close by.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Franklin Green is a smaller development, houses all in similar price range. This is at the top of your range. I live in Fieldstone Farms and like that location better but you might want to look here as well!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
I second Franklin Green.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Woops, my Franklin Green link didn't work. Let's try this???

Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Thank you for the help! We are moving from NOVA and I have heard that other than housing being cheaper, the cost of living is pretty similar? do you find this to be true? we have lived in a few different places in the south, Charleston, myrtle beach and savannah and have found that the cost of living was cheaper but have heard differently about the Nashville area.

We are looking for a 4 bd rm w/ a bonus. The housing is more affordable which is appealing to us but we will be 10 hrs from family instead of 2 so we want to make sure we have plenty of room for guests when they visit.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
When you say your husband will be traveling during the week, do you mean by plane? If that's the case, then I highly recommend you check out Mt Juliet. It's much closer to the Nashville airport which could make your husband's commute more tolerable. Mt Juliet also has outstanding schools, lots of parks, is very family friendly, and you can definitely find homes in your price range there.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-07-2013, 12:52 PM

For a house that size, in your price range, JMT is right. You should check out Mt. Juliet. You can input your price point and how many bedrooms you want into RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder and see how far your money will go there. In Williamson County you cook look at Spring Hill but I think the commute would be too much.

We moved from Connecticut and found property taxes and electricity to be cheaper. Everything else was about the same. It really depends on where you are coming from, and your lifestyle. How hot you keep the house. If you don't mind shopping at WalMart instead of Whole Foods. Housing was actually about the same for us although we went from a condo to a single family house. So housing might be cheaper for you coming from Northern Virginia.

You asked about house insurance and we pay about $600 for a 1600 sq ft house. Not sure if that's good or bad? Also, if you really don't think you'll be here longer than two years, you may want to consider renting.

PS. If your family is only going to visit twice a year since it's 10 hours each way, maybe you can buy a smaller house and put them up in a hotel!

Old 11-07-2013, 03:51 PM

99 posts, read 230,032 times
I think you would love Hendersonville. Some of the best schools in Tennessee and lots of parks. We've lived here two years and it's the most family oriented place we have ever lived. 250k will get you an awesome house in good area. Also about 30 minutes from Nashville, maybe even a lite closer if you chose a neighborhood like Mansker Farms.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Thank you everyone! My husband will be traveling to the airport atleast once a week so knowing MJ is a good commute and in our price range helps! I will do some more research now that I know the areas to look.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM

627 posts, read 1,845,718 times
I also vote for Mt. Juliet. You can get much more house for the money in your price range, and the airport is very close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville