Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 AM

64 posts, read 90,815 times

Advertisements

My husband's company is relocating us to TN and we are considering Franklin or Brentwood. His work office is located in La Vergne, TN.

We have 3 kids: ages 8,5, and 3, so school is my first concern. I hear Williamson County is the best in the area. Any particular elementary schools that are better or ones to stay away from? Do they use buses or do most kids walk/drive to school?

Any better part of town to consider? We are looking at abt $450-$600k and would really like a neighborhood w/ amenities, lots of kids, larger lots.

If we live in Nolensville, how far it is to "stuff" and shopping?

Also, I hear the YMCA is big in Nashville. What is the normal mthly price for a family? Can you use all of the Y's (w/ the waterparks, etc). Are there any other popular "gyms" to join?

Also, we have a boat and are looking at a marina abt 10 min from La Vergne. How are the lakes in the summer? I hear it's a party lake. Just curious!

Any info/recommendations would be great!

Thanks a bunch for your help

Tracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:26 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Priest Lake is nice--you will enjoy it. Parts of it are "party areas" but other parts of it are more sedate. There are state parks and other things around the shore (I'm not sure what the length of the shore is, but it's such an irregular shape that there is a lot of shoreline).

Y membership is based on a number of factors (including income level). I suspect you would have to pay full price which for two adults and three kids would be something like $100 to $150 (I think, I'm not sure). There are other gyms and recreation centers, but with three young children it's probably a good idea to join the Y even if you decide to join another gym just for working out.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:32 AM

64 posts, read 90,815 times
Thanks alleycat! Good to know abt Priest Lake. That's where the marina is we are looking at.

So the Y is $100/$150/mth? Is it really worth it if they are in sports, school and boating on weekends? That just seems like a lot of money. I pay $35/mth for my gym membership w/ childcare and really that's all I will be using it for. I just don't know if I'd use all of the stuff. Maybe I just don't know enough abt it.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:42 AM

I don't know about the Y in Brentwood/Franklin. The one in my area (Bellevue) is a fair large facility.

I think you will just have to look around and decide once you get here. The Y might not be worth it to you if you're going to be at the lake a lot. A lot of people enjoy Nashville Shores at the lake. In any event, you can find a gym and stuff for the kids in the area; that shouldn't be a problem. This is a very "kid friendly" area.

It would be worth joining the Adventure Science Center for the family.

I could sort of answer your other questions, but it would be better if someone who lives in Brentwood/Franklin answers them. They would be more familiar with specifics. One thing, most of the lots in Brentwood are large; it used to be that the minimum lot size was one acre (I think it still is).

Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 AM

I just looked at the Corps of Engineers website. Based on a certain pool elevation Priest Lake has a shoreline of 213 miles. It seems like it's even more than that. They may be counting part of what is still mostly lake as being part of the river.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,723,343 times
The Google is amazing.....

Membership Options and Rates

Not over $100 for a family membership to all locations. And the gym option here isn't the best (coming from the West Coast).

Old 12-29-2013, 01:09 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
If the OP makes enough to afford that price range for a home and they have three kids, the Y will cost them at least $100-$125/month. Their membership rates are scaled based on each family's ability to pay.

You only get your money's worth out of the Y if your kids participate in the sports teams there, because you get about a 50% discount on the sign-up. They also have pools, which personally are too small and crowded for my taste. The OP mentioned that they want a neighborhood with "amenities," which I assumed included a pool.

If you only want a gym for working out, I would look into Prairie Life in Cool Springs.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:17 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
Odd they still have Cool Springs Y as an option as it's permanently closed. Green Hills has a nice Y!

Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Odd they still have Cool Springs Y as an option as it's permanently closed. Green Hills has a nice Y!
With valet parking! LOL

In terms of housing, I would look at the Ivy Glen subdivision or the Chardonnay subdivision. Both have neighborhood pools and very active parent and neighborhood groups.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 12-29-2013 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: remove broken link

Old 12-29-2013, 07:12 PM

265 posts, read 488,271 times
We moved to Brentwood about 3.5 yrs. ago. It's been a pretty good move for us. Our kids love the schools--I cannot say enough positive things about Brentwood Middle and Brentwood High. I wish that when we moved initially (we rented at first) that we had moved into the BHS zone. While our experience at Ravenwood was positive, we have been so much happier at BHS. Unlike what we were warned about the snobby people over at BHS, we actually found the students and staff to be incredibly welcoming and inclusive.

WCS has free bus service, so our children ride the bus. I know there are a lot of kids who are also car-riders, and in high school at both RHS and BHS, many of the kids drive themselves. We didn't join the Y when we moved, though there is one on Concord, right by the library, and another in Maryland Farms. There are several independent gyms, likely you will find something that works for your family.

Best of luck in your move! We have enjoyed our time in Brentwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville