Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:04 PM

362 posts, read 645,435 times

Advertisements

Is it cold enough in the winter to wear fur coats there? Do people wear fur coats there?

I just put two of my coats up for sale on Ebay. I'm reluctant to put my third as I really love that one but if I won't need it there is no need to pack it.

Also, I have a bit of a thing with purchasing gloves, hats and scarfs. I saw a cute pair in Eddie Bauer but my girlfriend said "don't buy it, you won't need it". Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:17 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
Yes, you might need gloves and a scarf. Sometimes it can get very cold here. The other night it got down to 17!

Fur coats . . . I'd save one, just in case. You can always cuddle up in it if your power goes out, or you might one day take a trip to Iceland in January, which I actually did not too long ago. There's no harm in keeping a favorite thing - unless you'll get big bucks for it on eBay and you need the money.

Low tomorrow night will be 22, and 19 on Wednesday. Oh, yeah, it's snowing now and 37 degrees . . . .

Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
It does get cold here, but not for MONTHS at a time. We wear hats and scarves if we're going to a Titans game or a walk around the neighborhood. But usually I'm just running from my car to whatever building I'm heading to.

As for fur coats, I see a couple of elderly women wear them to church during Christmastime, but that is literally the only time.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Agreed, don't completely rid yourself of deep freeze winter clothing. It is not totally uncommon for us to have several days in a row of sub 20 temps for the high. It's not normal, but it's not uncommon either. Gloves are essential for the winter if you're going to be outside much.

People do own furs here and if its something you would wear fashion-wise, then by all means keep one. I can't say I see them in the circles I run in, but I had an aunt who was a Belle Meade type who wore hers every chance she got.

You'll find it to be much milder than you're used to, but you definitely won't mistake our winters for southern Florida's either. Keep some of the winter gear.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
I'd be wearing a fur coat if I had one. It's freezing (and snowing). But freezing is anything under 75F to me.

Keep a jacket for the summer. Every place has the A/C down to about 59F. I run a heater in my office all year round.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
You're not moving to Florida. We still have winter here. It's not as persistently cold, but it can get damn cold. Take your outdoor pets in the house at night cold.

FYI, our all time record low is -16.

You won't need heavy winter wear as often...but you'll regret it if you give it all away.

I don't wear scarves (I'm a guy -- some guys do here, most don't)...but gloves are necessary at times.

Fur coats aren't super common here, but you do see them (as Wmsn mentioned, especially with older women -- but I've seen a number of middle aged women wear them out, especially to 'dress up' events, such as the symphony, play, or at a nice restaurant -- not so much for shopping at the mall or running errands).

But back to the gloves, hats, and scarves...you might not purchase as many...but they do sell them here.

You won't look out of place wearing them for much of December-February (and some of November and March -- like...right now).

Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
You can always get another fur coat:

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Bear Seasons

Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Titans play till the end o December, regular season + playoffs in January. You may want a fur coat for that. Winter cold may be for 3 months Dec-Jan-Feb till it gets warmer in March.

A lot depends how you spend your time, walking to bus to work (snow/ice days), walking at the Zoo, enjoy holiday lights in the park & other outdoor activities.

Gloves/hats/scarves may be needed to stay dry (scrape ice from car?)

Could always use 1 winter coat in case power goes out & you have to wait for NES to get hooked up. Power does seem more reliable since NES trimmed back so many trees, but you never know about an ice storm.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Power does seem more reliable since NES trimmed back so many trees, but you never know about an ice storm.
Trimmed? More like butchered!

Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 AM

362 posts, read 645,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Titans play till the end o December, regular season + playoffs in January. You may want a fur coat for that. Winter cold may be for 3 months Dec-Jan-Feb till it gets warmer in March.

A lot depends how you spend your time, walking to bus to work (snow/ice days), walking at the Zoo, enjoy holiday lights in the park & other outdoor activities.

Gloves/hats/scarves may be needed to stay dry (scrape ice from car?)

Could always use 1 winter coat in case power goes out & you have to wait for NES to get hooked up. Power does seem more reliable since NES trimmed back so many trees, but you never know about an ice storm.
How common are ice storm and hail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville