Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:53 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I feel the same way.

We're thinking about moving to your previous state in a few years. My wife teachers and hopefully I will next year as well. The cost of living is a little cheaper there, or at worst, the same; yet, our pay will be about ~20% more. Electricity and property taxes will be worse, but I think it might be a better decision in the long run.
You can't go wrong there. We'll eventually end up back in that state too!
I just hope that the city leaders of Murfreesboro will begin to assess the amount of expansion they've allowed here over the past few years, and SLOW it down.. Crime is rising, and it's really shocking with a city this size how much crime occurs here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:01 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Crime is rising, and it's really shocking with a city this size how much crime occurs here
Good thing you didn't move to Jackson!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM

25 posts, read 50,349 times
What's up Mike? Doesn't sound like you are happy in Mboro. Are people looking to get out? I don't want to go see the area if it's taking a turn for the worst. What's the "other" state you are talking about?

Quote:
I feel the same way.

We're thinking about moving to your previous state in a few years. My wife teachers and hopefully I will next year as well. The cost of living is a little cheaper there, or at worst, the same; yet, our pay will be about ~20% more. Electricity and property taxes will be worse, but I think it might be a better decision in the long run.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grappler View Post
What's up Mike? Doesn't sound like you are happy in Mboro.
It's not that I'm unhappy in M'boro, it's just that I don't think it's anything special.
Quote:
Are people looking to get out?
Not really; The city and county continue to grow, year after year. I think I'm in the minority on this one.

Quote:
I don't want to go see the area if it's taking a turn for the worst.
I honestly think it has reached its peak and will only go downhill from now on, but that's my opinion. For TN it has good schools and isn't too expensive. It's got about all the restaurants and generic shopping one could ever want. Other than that, I can't think of too many great things to say about it. It has a very confusing street design and traffic is much worse than it should be for its population. It's growing like crazy, without any real plan to it. Grow at all cost isn't really a good plan if you ask me.

Quote:
What's the "other" state you are talking about?
That would be the great state of Texas.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It's not that I'm unhappy in M'boro, it's just that I don't think it's anything special.

Not really; The city and county continue to grow, year after year. I think I'm in the minority on this one.

I honestly think it has reached its peak and will only go downhill from now on, but that's my opinion. For TN it has good schools and isn't too expensive. It's got about all the restaurants and generic shopping one could ever want. Other than that, I can't think of too many great things to say about it. It has a very confusing street design and traffic is much worse than it should be for its population. It's growing like crazy, without any real plan to it. Grow at all cost isn't really a good plan if you ask me.

That would be the great state of Texas.

Texas, y'all! Born and bred.. Sorry, I don't want to turn this into a Texas thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM

63 posts, read 327,164 times
My family is considering M'Boro for relocation and many of the things that people have written here make it sound like it is a fantastic place for many of the things we're looking for. Does anyone have any knowledge about:
-homeschooling communities or groups
-the availability of historic homes
-we love to walk on shaded sidewalks. does m'boro have these?
thanks so much!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wainwrights View Post
My family is considering M'Boro for relocation and many of the things that people have written here make it sound like it is a fantastic place for many of the things we're looking for. Does anyone have any knowledge about:
-homeschooling communities or groups
-we love to walk on shaded sidewalks. does m'boro have these?
thanks so much!
Homeschooling groups - I'm not familiar with homeschooling here since my wife and I don't have kids, but I'm sure you can find them here.

Historic homes - There are several in Murfreesboro around the downtown area; some are really nice with plenty of trees, sidewalks, etc. Some are available..

Shaded sidewalks - Unfortunately, there aren't many sidewalks here for some reason.. You will find trees and nice hills in the distance..

Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wainwrights View Post

How historic are we talking? You can probably find some near the square, but the ones that are cheaper are going to be a little closer to some shadier areas.

Quote:
we love to walk on shaded sidewalks. does m'boro have these?
thanks so much!
Some neighborhoods do, but they are definitely not what I would call common. E Main is a historic street that has shaded sidewalks (at least I believe they are shaded).

Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,031 times
Talking Living in the Boro

Murfreesboro is a great place to live, I myself was born and raised here and continue to raise my own family here. There is no way I would move to another state. I work a lot in Nashville, since I am self employed, but can't see myself living there. Murfreesboro used to be a small town and yes we have grown a lot over the years, but it is still a place to call home. There is a lot of history to Murfreesboro, but you would have to do your research...like did you know the geographical center of TN is here. Just thought that was interesting. We have tons of building going on here as far as businesses, homes, talking of schools. I myself, hate all the "new", because I like my small town. I have no reason to shop in the Avenue....it is pointless stores. If I need something I will go to Wal-Mart or wherever.
As far as our crime, yes we had like 10 shootings in one month - but please keep in mind that it is linked with NASHVILLE. Murfreesboro like any town has crime, there is nowhere that doesn't. And, have you watched the news? I mean in one week you hear about 10 or more shootings in NASHVILLE. There crime rate has to be through the roof. I know people who have moved from there due to shootings alone. But only you can chose where you live, I myself prefer the Boro and will stay here the rest of my life.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 32,853 times
Default Homeschoolers and Historic Homes

I've had several sets of families as clients that were home schoolers and have found themselves right at home in Murfreesboro. A couple of them were already established here and some of them were new to the area. Home schooling is actually very popular here and there's a network of parents that all get together that also home school. I'd be more than happy to refer you to some folks to visit about their home school experience here.

And as far as historic homes, yes we have plenty. As Mike referred to above, the majority are located around our historic square, but there are also a good amount scattered throughout the area. If you like to walk and enjoy these homes, a nice walk is to park on the city square and walk the loop down one side of East Main and up the other side. The majority of the homes have been impeccably maintained, whether they're 1,220sqft or 6,000sqft.

Welcome to Murfreesboro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville