Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:03 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
People in urban areas of Chicago will tell you they have a major crime problem in some areas of Chicago, it has even been featured in the media. Most of the schools here are pretty much safe, a lot of wanna be thugs and gangs, some real, but it does not compare to Chicago and some other cities where senseless, random, murders are occuring just because... That is not going on here. Yea we have our share, but it is not a daily thing, not even a weekly thing. You can walk in almost all areas of Nashville with any color on, you can not do that in some cities.
Obviously your anecdotes are just that, anecdotes. I'm from Chicago and I can assure you I have worn every single color in the book all over town. Of course, even that is just an anecdote.

If you don't want to look at any of the facts, please don't through out random names thinking Nashville shouldn't be category __ with "those dangerous cities". If anything Nashville and Chicago are on the same level, whereas Detroit and Memphis are on another, based on statistics.

Chicago crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
Nashville TN crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 12:49 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Obviously your anecdotes are just that, anecdotes. I'm from Chicago and I can assure you I have worn every single color in the book all over town. Of course, even that is just an anecdote.

If you don't want to look at any of the facts, please don't through out random names thinking Nashville shouldn't be category __ with "those dangerous cities". If anything Nashville and Chicago are on the same level, whereas Detroit and Memphis are on another, based on statistics.

Chicago crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
Nashville TN crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
Well what do you know about Memphis?... Not going to argue my point with you...

Old 12-12-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Well what do you know about Memphis?... Not going to argue my point with you...
I only know what the statistics show, and based on what I see, Memphis has a tad bit more crime than Nashville and Chicago. But I'm not sure why Memphis matters?

Your point, as it was stated by you is that Memphis, Detroit, and Chicago are on one level of crime, and Nashville is another level, where they don't have a crime problem. I don't find Nashville dangerous, and I don't find Chicago dangerous, but to say Nashville doesn't have a crime problem is sweeping it under the rug.

If you want to compare it to Memphis as a safer city in Tennessee, I'd agree with that.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:06 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,646 times
I don't think some people get the concept of a crime rate. Saying Chicago has a lot of crime based on anecdotes or even total murders yearly is the equivalent of saying, "I'm running 5." Five what? Miles per day? Miles per hour? Meters per second? Feet per minute? It's meaningless without applying a rate to it.

Chicago does have crime, but it is vastly better now than it was 20 years ago. Chicago is a massive city in comparison to Nashville (and most other American cities). Chicago can have 4.3 crimes for every one in Nashville and they will have the same rate.

As for murder rate, it does appear that Chicago has about twice the number of murders as Nashville. Of course, that risk is not spread around evenly. If you aren't selling drugs, aren't in a street gang, and aren't a prostitute then the chances of being murdered outside your house are near zero. In fact, i would venture to say you would be more likely to be killed by in your home by your spouse or significant other than to be shot on the street or in a public space by an unknown assailant. Truly random murders are nearly unheard of.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:12 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,076 times
Quote:
I only know what the statistics show, and based on what I see, Memphis has a tad bit more crime than Nashville and Chicago. But I'm not sure why Memphis matters?

Your point, as it was stated by you is that Memphis, Detroit, and Chicago are on one level of crime, and Nashville is another level, where they don't have a crime problem. I don't find Nashville dangerous, and I don't find Chicago dangerous, but to say Nashville doesn't have a crime problem is sweeping it under the rug.

If you want to compare it to Memphis as a safer city in Tennessee, I'd agree with that.
I never said Nashville didn't have a crime problem, every city in America has its share of crime... however, its the types of crime I am talking about. I know that Chicago is much larger, but percentage wise, the amount of violent, random crimes, or drug/gang related crimes is higher than Nashville. Same goes for Memphis and Detroit, and some other cities. People living in those cities will tell you that it is much different than here, but again, not saying Nashville is any way near perfect.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I never said Nashville didn't have a crime problem, every city in America has its share of crime... however, its the types of crime I am talking about. I know that Chicago is much larger, but percentage wise, the amount of violent, random crimes, or drug/gang related crimes is higher than Nashville. Same goes for Memphis and Detroit, and some other cities. People living in those cities will tell you that it is much different than here, but again, not saying Nashville is any way near perfect.
I would agree drug and gang related murders/crimes in Chicago are higher. And Chicago's murder rate is higher because of this. Looking at the last 10 or so years, all other crimes, such as rape, assault, robberies, burglaries, property crime, like I said are about the same more or less depending on year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post

As for murder rate, it does appear that Chicago has about twice the number of murders as Nashville. Of course, that risk is not spread around evenly. If you aren't selling drugs, aren't in a street gang, and aren't a prostitute then the chances of being murdered outside your house are near zero. In fact, i would venture to say you would be more likely to be killed by in your home by your spouse or significant other than to be shot on the street or in a public space by an unknown assailant. Truly random murders are nearly unheard of.
Agreed and good points. I've never felt in danger of my life, and my whole family takes the bus/train or walks everywhere they go.

I think we're maybe getting off topic, so to go back to the original point Antioch, after looking at OP's profile, I'd gather the reason OP chose Nashville to study, and not Chicago, Memphis, or Detroit was that he's considered moving to Nashville or maybe he lives in Nashville now.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:38 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
I would agree drug and gang related murders/crimes in Chicago are higher. And Chicago's murder rate is higher because of this. Looking at the last 10 or so years, all other crimes, such as rape, assault, robberies, burglaries, property crime, like I said are about the same more or less depending on year.

Agreed and good points. I've never felt in danger of my life, and my whole family takes the bus/train or walks everywhere they go.

I think we're maybe getting off topic, so to go back to the original point Antioch, after looking at OP's profile, I'd gather the reason OP chose Nashville to study, and not Chicago, Memphis, or Detroit was that he's considered moving to Nashville or maybe he lives in Nashville now.

Or maybe neither.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
[/b]

Or maybe neither.
Actually he lives in Nashville now, according to his own words in another thread "I moved here from Oakland"

Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Here as in Nashville, or here as in Tennessee?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Here as in Nashville, or here as in Tennessee?
I live off bell road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville