Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 PM

24 posts, read 31,946 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 50's and have a transfer in for Nashville. Have visited the Knoxville- Pigeon Forge area many times. Husband travels alot so commuting from the airport is important. We're looking for a great location, shopping and restaurants. Also we have 2 kids (in their early 20's) which MAY move with us . One is living away at college and comes home regularly. So is there alot of entertainment for them as they are always out and about. Thanks for replying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,297,634 times
Pigeon Forge is quite different from anywhere in the state...it's essentially a big tourist playground. There's not much that translates there to anywhere else.

Nashville would be more similar to Knoxville, though a good bit larger. The landscape is somewhat different as well. Knoxville has long linear ridges and mountains in the distance. Nashville has smaller rolling hills with a few sharp ridges. It's not flat, but not near the mountains, either.

Aside from 'location', shopping, and restaurants, what are you looking for in a home or neighborhood?

There are a lot of suggestions I could make, but I would like to know a little more about any other preferences or considerations you might have.

The airport is on the east side of Nashville, near the Donelson area. How close would you/your husband like to be to the airport? Within 15 minutes? 30 minutes? 45 minutes? Obviously that will make a big difference with the locations you should be looking.

What type of budget do you have for housing? Are you looking for a small lot (less than 1/4 acre) or a larger lot (1/2 acre+)? Newer house? Older house? Cul-de-sac or on the city streets? Individual lot or part of a development? HOA?

Initially, I would start the search in Donelson and Mount Juliet. Both have advantages and disadvantages. It will really depend on your preferences.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Thanks, Nashvols I'll look into your suggestions.

Yes we understand the differences Knoxville and Pigeon Forge offer comparing to Nashville. We do love the rolling hills. So that will work for us. Anything more is a plus ... besides we can just jump in the car for a drive. Which is something we love doing.

Traveling to an airport within 30 minutes really would work. I think our price range would be 300 and less. Moderate size home...maybe 2400 sq ft. Looking at maybe 1/4 acre and less. As we get older we don't want alot of outside maintenance. Love the idea of living in a great neighborhood. Newer homes I think will be ideal. Last spring we visited Farragat, Tn, And loved their homes. Brick fronts they had. Not sure of the style but they were 2 story. School district should be decent. Especially for resale value.

We really are open to almost anything. Of course the biggest thing is lower taxes. That I think will be at the top of our list. Want property tax to be under 3 thousand per year. I'm willing to pay more for the house provided the taxes stay low.

Here on long Island... taxes are high, no matter where you go. My house is listed for sale at 359 and my taxes are 9700. We're looking for a change of pace all around. Different weather, shorter winters,longer spring and fall. Love the country... we have to drive 2hrs to see that. We just want to be able to stop and smell the flowers type of pace.

Last edited by susie0808; 12-29-2013 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: adding more

Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 PM

722 posts, read 2,097,675 times
Mt Juliet sounds like a fit. I hope you spend a little time or at least understand the cultural and scale of city differences. You might struggle to find public transportation, a cannoli, or pizza to your standards and everyone is going to be a lot more religious than back on LI but if you can enjoy the differences, its a great place to live.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:10 AM

362 posts, read 644,340 times
OMG, you sound exactly like me.
Me and my husband are in our 50s, have two boys (19 and 23). We live in Suffolk County. We were very lucky. We sold our home in 11 days. Right now tentative closing is Feb 1.

We looked in both Knoxville and Nashville. We decided on Nashville. I think it's prettier and you get more for your money, although houses are selling quick and prices have increased since September. It's really amazing.

We will be going down in mid Feb to rent (looking for rental now). Our boys will be staying on Long Island with my parents and our two pugs.
Not sure yet if we are going to drive down with pugs and settle into apartment/rental. If we can find a rental before closing we will go that route. Then my husband will fly back up and drive down with my youngest.

Once we find a home, and close, move in, my oldest will come down.

So nervous but I can tell you who we used for moving, cheapest moving/packing supplies, best places to stay. I also have a great real estate agent down there. he is so awesome.

I know the areas I have narrowed down (my budget is $350-$450K) are Franklin, Hendersonville (Somerset Downs), Mount Juliet, Gallatin, and Lebanon. We really like Gallatin (Fairview Plantation) My realtor said I should maybe take a look in Thompson Station, Spring Hill and Nolensville.

Mount Juliet does sound like a good fit for your price point but I know you can find great deals. you just have to be ready to buy. This house came up and I wrote my realtor. It sold in four days. Wish I was there.

Any questions, ask away as I am in the thick of it and Freaking out!!!!!

Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,272,959 times
So happy to see another LI'er coming down to TN. You'll love it here from what you're describing.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 AM

362 posts, read 644,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
So happy to see another LI'er coming down to TN. You'll love it here from what you're describing.
Hi Barb, I'm coming

Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM

126 posts, read 331,626 times
Hi - if you could pls PM who u used for packing /moving etc, I would greatly appreciate it. We are in Nassau prob heading to Nashville in < 1 yr.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM

Mi shots----OMG, you sound exactly like me.
Me and my husband are in our 50s, have two boys (19 and 23). We live in Suffolk County. We were very lucky. We sold our home in 11 days. Right now tentative closing is Feb 1.

Funny huh!!!!!! Lol!!! Wow things really did move fast! 11 days would be great! Realistically in my neighborhood I've never seen that happen! Would love it though. I'm Suffolk County too. Bayshore -Islip area. And you.... how close are you to us?

Read your post to my husband and he was surprised at the resemblences to our families....Our kids, son 19 soon to be 20 and daughter just 24. Daughter says she's coming and son just shakes his shoulders...not sure yet. He just goes with the flow. But this will be a change for them. Daughter says her BF will follow. We'll see. I've been ready to move out of here since son was in 11th grade.

Husband is getting excited too. We have alot of looking around to do. So we'll see. It's funny though how this media thing brings us all together right!! I just might take you up on that offer for information with movers and realtors. Thanks, Sue

Side note!!!!! Just read one of your other posts!!!! Wrapping your sewing machines!!!! I have 6 of them!!! Are you a quilter by chance?

Last edited by susie0808; 12-30-2013 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: added on

Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 AM

78 posts, read 137,040 times
I am curious to know why you all are leaving NY? I am from Rochester NY myself, and expecting an offer letter after the new year to finally make a move to TN. I am only 26 and recently engaged so very different from you folks, but our goals seem similar.

There are absolutely NO jobs where I am from. Only fields that are growing is healthcare because of our older/declining population. Everything else here is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville