Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,480 times

Advertisements

So my wife has been offered a relocation to work in Brentwood TN. After much consideration we decided it would be better for our family. We currently live in Hamilton NJ and would have to relocate by the 15th of Feb.

I have no job to speak of when we arrive although I will actively look for work while I'm completing school. I have a few question concerning areas and general information about that move. Now like I said currently we live in Hamilton township with basically is an extension to Trenton which some of you might or might not know is a bad area and is the main reason for wanted to relocate in the first place.

We are looking for no more then a 30-40 minute commute(max but preferably less) to her work daily. What areas can we look at with a 900-1200 budget and a decent area with good schools? checking around on craigslist there are just so many options and I'm trying to research a decent area but I'm getting very mixed information. We are going to rent for a year or so before deciding where to buy a house. The area doesn't have to be perfect but I don't want to be afraid to let my kids outside or take a walk with the family at night.

I want to be sure we know what areas to steer clear of and definitely don't want to be renting in an area that's unsafe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 07:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
How old are your kids?

Where will you be attending school?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,480 times
Kids are 7 and 5. I will be attending online classes.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
I'm a Jersey girl moved to west TN and the only thing I can tell you is to forget everything you know about NJ's traffic. There is no rush-hour in TN. It is "rush-minute" - just get 5 miles out of Nashville and the traffic as we know it is gone.

Know that things are different here; the pace of life is slower, more relaxed. People are less direct and I'm still finding that people consider me blunt and a tad too direct after 16 teriffic months. I cannot comment on the schools from personal experience but I have not yet met any single person who is happy with the quality of education here. About half those I've met homeschool.

The drive here from Trenton area (take 76 to 81 to 40) will take you 2 days unless you don't mind sharing the drive and going overnight. It's around 18 hours for me, but I'm south of Jackson. My friend in Brentwood takes about 14-15 hours straight driving to Newark area. Keep that in mind when planning trips to visit family in Jersey.

Oh, finding Jersey staples here isn't easy. Pizza is our biggie. What passes for pizza here isn't even close. Cannoli, stromboli, and Taylor Ham are unheard of. And just try finding some good "hard rolls".

But it's good and we're glad we're retired here. There's really great BBQ and I'm sure you'll latch onto some other regional favorites as time goes on.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
You might look in either Bellevue (strong public elementary schools) or Spring Hill (stay on the Williamson County side).

Old 01-15-2014, 06:24 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

The drive here from Trenton area (take 76 to 81 to 40) will take you 2 days unless you don't mind sharing the drive and going overnight. It's around 18 hours for me, but I'm south of Jackson. My friend in Brentwood takes about 14-15 hours straight driving to Newark area. Keep that in mind when planning trips to visit family in Jersey.
I can do Franklin to Jersey City in about 16 hours with 3 kids in the car. It isn't fun but it is doable in a day. (we leave at 4am).

Old 01-15-2014, 01:05 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Add 3 hours and make the primary (only) driver mid-60s and you'll understand why we split the drive into 2 days. I just can't sit in the driver's seat for more than 9-10 hours. Thank goodness hotels have spas with the pool.

Last edited by NY Annie; 01-15-2014 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: PS. Septimus - I am a Kearny girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville