Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,455 times

Advertisements

We will soon be making the move to the Murfreesboro area and have been painstakingly looking for the "right" house for us. While our daughter is not of school-age yet, she will be soon enough. We were told to look in the Blackman or Siegel school districts. Then my husband and I overheard a couple of real estate agents laughing about how often the schools are redistricted! We we flabbergasted! Is this a big "problem?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:33 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
With high population growth, redistricting is a reality in a lot of school districts. If it wasn't necessary, it wouldn't be done.

It's not foolproof, but the closer you live to a school, the more likely you are to stay zoned for said school.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:50 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,217 times
rezoning is a fact of life here. I'm in Williamson County. We had a big rezoning about 3 years ago which stopped a lot of the yearly rezonings but we will have another big rezoning in 2 years when the new high school is built in Nolensville. There was a small rezoning this year to relieve overcrowding at one elementary school.

Buy a house you like and don't worry too much about rezoning. From my experience the thing that matters most is an involved parent. We were rezoned from what was considered one of the "best" middle schools to one that had some of the worst test scores and high poverty (high for WCS). 3 years later that middle school is a gem. Involved parents raised money, etc.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,608 times
Rutherford County's population has been booming for the past several years and every new school opening triggers a rezoning. Word of warning - a new M'boro City elementary school will be opening next fall that will likely affect Blackman to a degree. I would look for homes currently zoned to the 3 Ruth. Co. clustered school complexes in this order:

1. Siegel
2. Stewarts Creek (technically Smyrna, but many M'boro homes zoned here, myself included)
3. Blackman.

Siegel schools are a bit convoluted as the Murfreesboro School District runs the elementary while Rutherford County runs the middle and high schools but it is the more 'upscale' of the three and probably has the best test scores if you live & breathe by that stuff. Stewarts Creek schools are all located on the same large parcel of land only separated by the main road in and out of the school area, unlike Siegel and Blackman, but there is a lot of growth happening in this area and I can see the schools getting crowded within a few years. Blackman schools have been overcrowded for quite a while and more likely to be rezoned in the future.

I can't speak for Siegel but there is a HUGE amount of parent involvement at Stewarts Creek Elementary which is greatly encouraged by our principal. I've heard rumor from several sources that the principal at Blackman doesn't like parent volunteers or respect the PTO, but that's been a couple of years ago and things might (hopefully!) be different there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville