Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:20 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you mentioned her lack of a traffic ticket. Why bring that up????

There's actually something called "downward mobility" and a LOT of Baby Boomers do not live as well as their parents did. So it stands to reason that there's a trickle down to yet another generation.

Plus, where is it written that generation after generation get to live in the same town they grew up? Really?

(And in truth, I wouldn't want to . . . travel! See the world! Strike out on your own!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:08 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
What she is really saying, but not actually saying is, she wants a taxpayer subsidized, trendy, cute little apartment in some of the most expensive areas of town. As though that wasn't enough, she also wants it rent controlled because she is a college graduate, that grew up in the county and she never got a traffic ticket. She also doesn't want to consider alternatives that most young people accept as reality, like roommates.

No entitlement issues there...
If there ever was a straw man argument, this takes the cake.

I didn't get a sense of entitlement from reading what the author wrote. There are perhaps some sections that she could have left out, or fleshed out the thoughts a little bit more to make the overall point more clear, but I see several comments in this thread that illustrate exactly why this is an issue.

No, no one is 'entitled' to live in a nice, safe area with a good school district. And yes, those factors are certainly one of the main reasons why Williamson County property tends to be more expensive.

Perhaps her biggest mistake in writing this article, though, is how softly she touches on the issue at the heart of it:

Quote:
I am a 24-year-old lifelong Williamson County resident with a bachelor’s degree in journalism. I’m working full time, but I can’t afford to live in my own hometown.

When I began working for Brentwood Home Page, the City of Brentwood was in the middle of a heated election and a major component of that election was density and housing.

In forum after forum I sat in the audience taking notes listening to adults argue why high-density projects – such as apartments and condominiums – weren’t what the city wanted.

Many ran on the platform of “preserving” Brentwood for future generations.

I am the future of Brentwood. I am the future of Franklin. I am the future of Williamson County.

While I understand high-density housing projects generate traffic, which generates frustration, if I can’t live where I work, how do you expect me to continue to invest money into your county or city?

I am frustrated. But I am not alone.

I am a single, degree-holding female with not even a traffic ticket to my name. I am the face of affordable housing.

The majority of Williamson County’s recent college graduates are the faces of affordable housing.

Several months ago in the City of Franklin, a development was proposed that would have 35 one-bedroom apartments located on West Main Street, in an area where development has been stagnant for years.

As I sat in a Franklin Planning Commission meeting I heard the public beat around the bush attempting to ask, “What kind of people would be living in the development?”

I would.
The forum she is referring to in Brentwood had to do with the proposed Hill Development, which would have included a decent number of rental units. What she did not include was that a lot of the resistance came from a group looking to "preserve" Brentwood's 1 acre 1 house zoning, because basically, that's what keeps out the riff raff.

A lot of reasons were given for opposing this development, which was labeled as "high density" (really more medium density, but high for Brentwood standards)...but a lot of the rhetoric used by the group was fear based. Higher density = higher crime. Renters don't have a 'stake' in the game. One individual even said that he grew up in Antioch, and saw first hand what higher density did to that area, and he didn't want to see the same thing happen to Brentwood (as if Brentwood was about to unload a bunch of section 8 housing on them or something).

There were a lot of flawed comparisons and thinly veiled arguments when basically what most of them were fearing is that it would bring in a bunch of low income hooligans that would destroy their perfect little haven. I believe what the author of the article is trying to get at is that these are the exact type of developments that young professionals like her are looking for and need if they are to live anywhere near their jobs. By saying she is the 'face' of affordable housing, I think she means to tear down the stereotype that affordable housing is only for the poor, which seems to be the feeling that most people in WC get when that debate arises.

Everyone was young once, but I think some of you forget what that was like, or you don't recognize the differences in today's world compared to when you were in her shoes. Housing values in Williamson County have skyrocketed since I was a kid. Brentwood was nice when I was growing up. Upper middle class (with some plain middle class mixed in). Franklin was just plain middle class. Now both places have moved up a notch.

On the other side of the equation, being a young professional isn't what it used to be. The job market is tighter. More people go to college. The value of a bachelor's degree isn't what it used to be. Housing, even renting is more expensive than it used to be. I can certainly understand her frustration at seeing county residents bicker over 'affordable housing' thinking they are talking about keeping out others, when in reality, they are keeping out well-educated, hard-working, follow-all-the-rules folks as well.

So while some people may think she is displaying an attitude of entitlement, I think too many people in WC display that attitude themselves, that their community is 'too good' for those that can't afford it, and that somehow simply allowing higher density housing is going to debase their paradise. I can remember when Cal Turner submitted a proposal to transform his farm (you know, the big one...650 acres, right in the middle of Brentwood) into a mixed use development with offices, and a variety of housing options, including smaller houses on smaller lots targeted at people who worked for the city -- police, fire, teachers, etc -- who couldn't afford the average Brentwood house. That idea was balked at as well.

I don't believe Williamson County needs to subsidize housing to allow young professionals to live there...and I don't think that is what is being advocated in the article. It is more about the resistance of area residents to allowing any development that would give many young professionals a chance to live where they work (or in this case, where they grew up).

There are a lot of great things about Williamson County, but there is certainly an attitude of exclusivity that is pretty prevalent...and that attitude is what keeps some of you from seeing this article for what it is.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:01 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
The article writer should just be happy she doesn't work and want to live in somewhere like Northern VA where $600/month wouldn't even get her a shack in the slums.

There are quite a few apartments around Cool Springs....yes, competition is fierce, but that is true with any desirable area. Also, $600/month is pretty cheap in most areas. She would be hard pressed to find rent that cheap in a lot of areas where she would probably feel comfortable living around Nashville, Atlanta, Huntsville, Raleigh, etc...

Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

I didn't get a sense of entitlement from reading what the author wrote. There are perhaps some sections that she could have left out, or fleshed out the thoughts a little bit more to make the overall point more clear, but I see several comments in this thread that illustrate exactly why this is an issue.

No, no one is 'entitled' to live in a nice, safe area with a good school district. And yes, those factors are certainly one of the main reasons why Williamson County property tends to be more expensive.

Perhaps her biggest mistake in writing this article, though, is how softly she touches on the issue at the heart of it:

The forum she is referring to in Brentwood had to do with the proposed Hill Development, which would have included a decent number of rental units. What she did not include was that a lot of the resistance came from a group looking to "preserve" Brentwood's 1 acre 1 house zoning, because basically, that's what keeps out the riff raff.

A lot of reasons were given for opposing this development, which was labeled as "high density" (really more medium density, but high for Brentwood standards)...but a lot of the rhetoric used by the group was fear based. Higher density = higher crime. Renters don't have a 'stake' in the game. One individual even said that he grew up in Antioch, and saw first hand what higher density did to that area, and he didn't want to see the same thing happen to Brentwood (as if Brentwood was about to unload a bunch of section 8 housing on them or something).

There were a lot of flawed comparisons and thinly veiled arguments when basically what most of them were fearing is that it would bring in a bunch of low income hooligans that would destroy their perfect little haven. I believe what the author of the article is trying to get at is that these are the exact type of developments that young professionals like her are looking for and need if they are to live anywhere near their jobs. By saying she is the 'face' of affordable housing, I think she means to tear down the stereotype that affordable housing is only for the poor, which seems to be the feeling that most people in WC get when that debate arises.

Everyone was young once, but I think some of you forget what that was like, or you don't recognize the differences in today's world compared to when you were in her shoes. Housing values in Williamson County have skyrocketed since I was a kid. Brentwood was nice when I was growing up. Upper middle class (with some plain middle class mixed in). Franklin was just plain middle class. Now both places have moved up a notch.

On the other side of the equation, being a young professional isn't what it used to be. The job market is tighter. More people go to college. The value of a bachelor's degree isn't what it used to be. Housing, even renting is more expensive than it used to be. I can certainly understand her frustration at seeing county residents bicker over 'affordable housing' thinking they are talking about keeping out others, when in reality, they are keeping out well-educated, hard-working, follow-all-the-rules folks as well.

So while some people may think she is displaying an attitude of entitlement, I think too many people in WC display that attitude themselves, that their community is 'too good' for those that can't afford it, and that somehow simply allowing higher density housing is going to debase their paradise. I can remember when Cal Turner submitted a proposal to transform his farm (you know, the big one...650 acres, right in the middle of Brentwood) into a mixed use development with offices, and a variety of housing options, including smaller houses on smaller lots targeted at people who worked for the city -- police, fire, teachers, etc -- who couldn't afford the average Brentwood house. That idea was balked at as well.

I don't believe Williamson County needs to subsidize housing to allow young professionals to live there...and I don't think that is what is being advocated in the article. It is more about the resistance of area residents to allowing any development that would give many young professionals a chance to live where they work (or in this case, where they grew up).

There are a lot of great things about Williamson County, but there is certainly an attitude of exclusivity that is pretty prevalent...and that attitude is what keeps some of you from seeing this article for what it is.
This.

Exactly.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
I would like to rate positively your post Nashvol but it says I need to spread the love...

Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 PM

46 posts, read 91,766 times
Richel mentions that she and many young professionals who grew up in Williamson county want to come back and raise their children there. I get it, I think it is wonderful that many young people want to come back and continue to deepen their roots. That is a good thing. BUT, someone needs to talk to these young professions BEFORE they head off to college and give them a lesson in economics. What type of job/career are you planning, how much money do you expect to earn, will you have debt, what does debt look like and what are the monthly payments on a $40K student loan? Then the discussion goes to what does it cost to live in Williamson county, can you afford to live here if you get a job or are you willing to rent something in Columbia or get a few roommates, how long will it take to save for a down payment on a simple condo? It seems to me the responsibility lies with her not the county. I don't get an entitlement vibe from her I get an immature vibe. She never really sat down and looked at the books so to speak. Being on your own is eye opening for everyone and she just recently sat down and realized what the real world looks like. She would make a far bigger impact if she turned that article on its head and directed it at college students. Told her story and advised students to thoroughly research and plan for their future because things aren't as you expect when you just show up.

Of note: entitlement is not reserved for the affluent. There are folks with nothing that feel entitled and folks with nothing that feel grateful, the same goes for every level of financial security.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna22 View Post
Richel mentions that she and many young professionals who grew up in Williamson county want to come back and raise their children there. I get it, I think it is wonderful that many young people want to come back and continue to deepen their roots. That is a good thing. BUT, someone needs to talk to these young professions BEFORE they head off to college and give them a lesson in economics. What type of job/career are you planning, how much money do you expect to earn, will you have debt, what does debt look like and what are the monthly payments on a $40K student loan? Then the discussion goes to what does it cost to live in Williamson county, can you afford to live here if you get a job or are you willing to rent something in Columbia or get a few roommates, how long will it take to save for a down payment on a simple condo? It seems to me the responsibility lies with her not the county. I don't get an entitlement vibe from her I get an immature vibe. She never really sat down and looked at the books so to speak. Being on your own is eye opening for everyone and she just recently sat down and realized what the real world looks like. She would make a far bigger impact if she turned that article on its head and directed it at college students. Told her story and advised students to thoroughly research and plan for their future because things aren't as you expect when you just show up.

Of note: entitlement is not reserved for the affluent. There are folks with nothing that feel entitled and folks with nothing that feel grateful, the same goes for every level of financial security.
Well said...

Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:

The point of her article is not actually about the money.

It's about the various onnotations of "affordable housing" and the FEAR that many people who have invested a LOT of money to live here have of what kind of people could afford "affordable housing."

She's trying to say, "It's not gang bangers. It's your sons and daughters and grandsons and granddaughters."

Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

It's not a strawman argument in any way, shape or form. She is basically saying that she can't afford to live in Franklin or Brentwood. That is patently false. There are plenty of apartments in Frankilin, there are plenty of starter homes in Franklin and Spring Hill, there are certainly plenty of areas that a renter looking for lower rent accommodations could afford to live in. She never mentions those options once, in fact, she flat out neglects to mention them.

You are welcome to interpret her article as you have. I am interpreting it to say that in spite of the fact that there are plenty of opportunities she could afford in Franklin, or Spring Hill, or Nippers Corner, those are either areas she never became aware of in her 24 years living in Williamson County or she just doesn't want to live in those areas. Suggesting for a second that she has a right to live in Brentwood when she can't afford to is flat out ridiculous.

Even if a developer were to come in and build high density living options in Brentwood, it certainly wouldn't be in the $600 a month range UNLESS it was government subsidized which she alludes to in her commentary. I am sorry you don't agree with my assessment but it isn't a strawman argument just because you read it differently.

I also completely disagree with your statement that 'No, no one is 'entitled' to live in a nice, safe area with a good school district'. The people that own land, own homes and pay taxes in the nice, safe area ABSOLUTELY are entitled to live in those conditions. That is what we pay for and that is what we are entitled to, as is anyone else that wants to come in a pay a premium to live in those conditions. I don't interpret the attitudes in Brentwood to be anywhere near your assertion 'that their community is 'too good' for those that can't afford it'. What I have found the attitudes to be is more along the lines of 'we've worked hard to achieve what we've achieved and it isn't fair to let someone else come in and pay a fraction of what we had to pay to get the same living conditions - consequently ruining those living conditions in the process'.

One thing that is certain, higher density absolutely equates to higher crime and lower property values.

You can empathize with her all you want. What I read in both her commentary and your defense of it is disdain for people that want to maintain what they've worked hard to achieve.

I do see her commentary for exactly what it is, a flat out misrepresentation of the facts in an effort to gain public support for her position.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
BUT, someone needs to talk to these young professions BEFORE they head off to college and give them a lesson in economics. What type of job/career are you planning, how much money do you expect to earn, will you have debt, what does debt look like and what are the monthly payments on a $40K student loan?
I agree that more needs to go into the post high school/pre college "discussion"...what direction people want to go, and realistic expectations for what they will see. That is something lacking in this country...high schools prep kids for college, but usually little else. But I think sometimes parents don't always have a good grasp about what their kids can expect, or if they realize how much (or little) their kids can or will make coming out of school these days. Heck, a good friend of mine is a lawyer, and is very, very smart...not lazy at all...but he still lives at home because he doesn't make a lot of money.

Even if you get a full scholarship, or your parents are generous enough to provide your college tuition, and you leave with a diploma and debt free, that doesn't mean you will earn enough money to live in a decent place.

The job market is such that a college education barely gets you ahead of the pack. Part of what ails my generation is that when the housing bubble burst and unemployment spiked, all of a sudden we were competing for entry level professional positions with seasoned veterans that were desperate for work. While that has improved somewhat since the economy tanked, it is still a situation we have to deal with. It's though enough coming out of college green. It's even worse when the deck is stacked against your resume.

I don't know what the author's situation was, but journalism specifically is a very tough field these days. Media in general is struggling with the advent of internet journalism and the ability for everyone with a computer being able to spout their opinions everywhere, through word or even video. I'm not sure that even in college they taught her how tough it is out there -- and her parents may have not known well enough to advise her whether or not she wanted to follow that career. It seems like a respectable career, after all. They may have encouraged it. Of course...this may be her dream career...who knows?

The point is, as a recent college grad, I can tell you that there is very little certainty about what career you choose these days. It's not as simple as saying "I'm going to pick this career because it pays more"...great. You and everyone else are going to school for that. The school has their money. They aren't being paid to tell you what is or isn't a good career choice, or what the odds of you actually succeeding are because of how crowded the field is.

Quote:
Then the discussion goes to what does it cost to live in Williamson county, can you afford to live here if you get a job or are you willing to rent something in Columbia or get a few roommates, how long will it take to save for a down payment on a simple condo? It seems to me the responsibility lies with her not the county. I don't get an entitlement vibe from her I get an immature vibe. She never really sat down and looked at the books so to speak. Being on your own is eye opening for everyone and she just recently sat down and realized what the real world looks like. She would make a far bigger impact if she turned that article on its head and directed it at college students. Told her story and advised students to thoroughly research and plan for their future because things aren't as you expect when you just show up.
Part of the problem may be her experience with growing up in the county. When she was growing up, starting your career and getting a house or apartment in Franklin was probably a somewhat realistic goal (probably not in Brentwood at that point). She may have not realized that as time passed, that goal became less and less realistic.

Yes, you could rent in Columbia. But then you are commuting 30-45 minutes, and at least 20-25 miles. That could be an extra tank of gas per week, depending on what kind of vehicle you drive. That could be an extra $150 per month spent on gas alone. It's hard to save money when a lot of your savings are eaten up by something else. The cost of gas is one of the major reasons why young people would rather live close to where they work. Living farther away USED to be a viable option, but in today's world, it is becoming less so.

Again, though, the point of the article isn't simply about not being able to afford what she wants, but about the county residents' resistance to even allow the possibility via higher density housing, because they are afraid of what types of people will move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville