Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,662,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I'm obviously not familiar with the area, but mabe he looks more...ghetto than moat folks in town
In what way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 02:14 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,407,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In what way?
Again, I'm not going to pretend to know the culture there and I don't want to speak for the person who made the comment, but a backwards fitted hat is often something worn by "aspiring rappers". All of his clothes are the same color (blue), which sometimes indicates an affiliation to a gang. From what I understand, Franklin is a professional working class town, this guy looks very able-bodied but was home at 1pm on a Wednesday afternoon. Shoes look shotty, looks like a pack of cigarettes in his pocket.

Nothing is wrong with any of those things and they are certainly not incriminating, and, quite frankly up here you see plenty of people dressed like that. Arguably more "urban" than "ghetto" but i'm no fashion expert or a sociologist either. Nevertheless, like everything, it projects an image. I think most people would rather their kids hang out with someone who is well put together and plays sports or music or something than the guy wearing sterotypical rapper clothes and chain smoking cigarettes on the stoop at noon instead of being at school or work.

just my $0.02. More important is his resume.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM

328 posts, read 566,905 times
Yeah..mostly that ^^^^. Not at all trying to judge or be rude. Just my first impression. I, too, don't know much about the area or culture, but he is a convicted felon living in a $460,000 house.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:21 PM

Come on, y'all.

Most everybody who posts here wants to know if they'll fit in or if they'll be judged, and then this happens.

A crime like this is NOT the norm in Westhaven.

But as for his appearance, he's wearing what my husband wears while going for an early Saturday morning milk run.

Cigarettes in his pocket or ... cell phone??

I'm betting there are addiction issues here, which we all know don't care about income or mortgage levels.

I hope septimus gets here soon since she actually lives in Westhaven.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:24 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,407,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Come on, y'all.

Most everybody who posts here wants to know if they'll fit in or if they'll be judged, and then this happens.

A crime like this is NOT the norm in Westhaven.

But as for his appearance, he's wearing what my husband wears while going for an early Saturday morning milk run.

Cigarettes in his pocket or ... cell phone??

I'm betting there are addiction issues here which, we all know don't care about income or mortgage levels.

I hope septimus gets here soon since she lives in Westhaven.
Your absolutely right, most of the time stuff like this is benign. But your husband probably doesnt wear shorts when jogging in the winter or backwards hats when exercising and it wasn't a Sunday. Clearly he wasn't going for a jog.

His prior arrests are what speak loud and clear about his character.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 PM

51 posts, read 76,420 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

The wife and I have our hopes set on moving to the greater Nashville area of TN. Our Number one choice right now is Franklin.

Looking at the crime stats, TN has some issues there. However, I am seeing that over 50% of "crimes against persons" (assaults?) are domestic. But still there are over 30k violent assault crime reports/year and about 2k forcible rape, etc (2012 crime report below).

http://www.tbi.tn.gov/tn_crime_stats...ee%20Final.pdf

Do you folks feel majority of these crimes are concentrated and the rest of the state is pretty safe, or is the problem more or less wide spread? greater Nashville area a problem or nothing to worry about?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure how this forum works, so not sure if you will get this or not. My daughter just moved from CA to Franklin and LOVES it. I have to assume she checked out the crime there and is satisfied. Seems a bit expensive to me, but then I haven't visited her yet. They both have their own business, so not sure about the job situation but she says the economy is good there. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Your absolutely right, most of the time stuff like this is benign. But your husband probably doesnt wear shorts when jogging in the winter or backwards hats when exercising and it wasn't a Sunday. Clearly he wasn't going for a jog.

His prior arrests are what speak loud and clear about his character.
When you do visit here, you will probably notice that frat boys and country boys and MANY musicians here wear their ball caps backwards.

If I saw that photo and had not seen his rap sheet, I certainly would not have called his clothes "ghetto."

(Except for the handcuffs, of course.)

Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 AM

620 posts, read 1,194,136 times
I hope you Franklin people never leave Franklin. Especially don't come to California. You might run into Beverly Hills. Plenty of people with matching clothes and backwards hats in places like Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, an Francisco, Lake Tahoe. Stay away for your own good.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,535 times
yes i feel safe but not always .

Old 03-14-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
I hope you Franklin people never leave Franklin. Especially don't come to California. You might run into Beverly Hills. Plenty of people with matching clothes and backwards hats in places like Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, an Francisco, Lake Tahoe. Stay away for your own good.
Um, you know the people who made the "backwards hats" comments don't even live in TN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville