Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
But there's always quality of life, and location, maybe safety? Nashville is blooming. There may be more opportunities down the line here than there are in Buffalo. And that is worth something.
It's definitely worth something, but you can't pay a mortgage and feed a family with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
No, but I'd rather have a smaller house and eat a lot of rice than be in an unsafe or dying city. I'm always amazed at what I can live without if I have to (like 160 cable TV channels with NOTHING I want to watch!)

Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
No, but I'd rather have a smaller house and eat a lot of rice than be in an unsafe or dying city. I'm always amazed at what I can live without if I have to (like 160 cable TV channels with NOTHING I want to watch!)
I know what you mean. I don't want to hijack this thread, but it is very difficult to live the "rice and beans" lifestyle IN THIS AREA with 2 or 3 or more kids.

I know all the Dave Ramsey faithful will say it's worth it, and I know it can be worth it. My only point is that it's just very difficult. Adults can understand that kind of sacrifice, but it is harder for kids to understand it.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 AM

75 posts, read 201,663 times
I moved from Buffalo, but in a different situation. I am in my mid 30's, no kids, and single. I make about $34,000 and am very comfortable. But I also owned my own house, in Buffalo with no mortgage so sold that and took out a VERY small mortgage here. My payment is very low because most of my house was paid for with the money from the house I sold. That being said, taxes are much lower, I dont pay a school tax, no state tax, gas for car is quite a but cheaper, gas and electric here are about the same, I use all electric here and it is about what both my gas and electric bill were combined there, maybe a bit cheaper. Water is more. Sales tax is high but it was just about as high in Buffalo. Only big difference is food is taxed here. I would never go back to Buffalo except to visit. I love all the nature here, it is a good quality of life for me in my situation.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 AM
anz anz started this thread

27 posts, read 97,829 times
Thanks for all the great feedback. We will make it, even if it means working 2 jobs. We are looking for a new start and Buffalo really has nothing to offer.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Great attitude! Yes, the are opportunities here so even if you start out 'small', there's room to grow. And I don't think we give kids enough credit. They are highly adaptable creatures. All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville