Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,282,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
ever heard of peebles?
Belk is an interesting animal. The older stores in this area were outside of malls and in small towns, and probably did resemble Peebles...but the newer mall stores are probably more like JC Penney. The Cool Springs store is one of their nicer ones, from what I understand. With the expansion, they are making it a flagship store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,347,380 times
Does it have any other flagship stores?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,282,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post
Does it have any other flagship stores?
According to wikipedia:
Charlotte (South Park Mall)
Atlanta (Phipps Plaza)
Birmingham (Riverchase Galleria)
Birmingham (The Summit)
Raleigh (Crabtree Valley Mall)
Dallas (Galleria Dallas)
Columbia, SC (Columbiana Centre)

Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,671,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracybader View Post
Oh man- so no nordstroms or macys? We had a belk in fl. It was ok but not the greatest.
The same mall already has a Macy's in it.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 AM

9,645 posts, read 9,264,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
What would Belk compare to?
It is generally on par with Peebles/Goody's, Kohls, J.C. Penney, etc. The flagships are on par with a standard Macy's or low end Nordstrom, Von Maur. While a flagship location is great news for the community, Cool Springs could support much more high end stores than this.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,407,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
Malls are out. Nobody cares about malls anymore. In 10 years, Cool Springs Galleria will be filled with military recruiting offices, nail salons, and the world's largest Title Max. That's the future of every mall (which is why a new one hasn't been built in the US since 2006).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
The mall model is definitely out, but that doesn't mean they will all die a quick death. I think the lower-performing malls will go quickly, but places like Cool Springs and Green Hills are still quite strong in terms of sales. Retailers aren't going to bail on something that works.

I think in 10 years you will see fewer malls...perhaps a lot fewer. But I don't think they'll be gone. 10 years is no time at all.

What I do think you will see is a consolidation of malls...i.e. malls that fail and close will help stabilize the stronger malls and prolong their life (somewhat). There was a point where Nashville was over-saturated with malls...but with the closing of Bellevue and Hickory Hollow, I think things are more manageable. I think most would expect Rivergate to be the next to fall.

The interesting thing will be to see how much mall operators are willing to invest in their properties over the next decade or two-- which in the case of Cool Springs, Green Hills, and Opry Mills, is still considerable.
Interesting. I noticed some malls I grew up going to are on the decline, I just figured the neighborhoods were on the decline too after housing crash and economic recession.

Why do you suppose the "mall" is on it's way out? Online shopping? To me (and maybe just because I grew up going to them with GF's and such) they seem pretty convenient--having many different stores in one walkable location.

Are we sure the "mall bubble" just didn't just burst where we built way more than necessary or is it a true inevitable extinction?

Last edited by Sigequinox; 02-25-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 AM

838 posts, read 1,206,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
Malls are out. Nobody cares about malls anymore. In 10 years, Cool Springs Galleria will be filled with military recruiting offices, nail salons, and the world's largest Title Max. That's the future of every mall (which is why a new one hasn't been built in the US since 2006).
While I agree that malls are no longer in their heyday, you can't ignore the correlation to the last mall being built and the general decline in the economy.

While malls may be on the decline, one of the last malls built in 2006 was La Cantera in San Antonio. I would expect more than a couple of developers to take a look at the success it has had. I don't expect you will never see another mall built, just probably not at the same rate they were in the 80s and 90s.

While I think online shopping has definitely taken a bite out of the malls profitability, people still like to go and see, touch, try on before they purchase. Brick and mortar stores will never completely disappear. Add to that the fact that in much of the country, a mall provides a place to shop for a lot of different things at once, without having to brave the elements.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 AM

593 posts, read 1,351,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Why do you suppose the "mall" is on it's way out? Online shopping? To me (and maybe just because I grew up going to them with GF's and such) they seem pretty convenient--having many different stores in one walkable location.
Large shopping centers are still being built, they've just changed form, from enclosed buildings to open-air so-called lifestyle centers e.g. The Avenue in Murfreesboro. I guess they figured people will show up for the right store mix whether or not the walkways are air-conditioned. It is definitely a lot less expensive to build a non-enclosed shopping center.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,347,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Large shopping centers are still being built, they've just changed form, from enclosed buildings to open-air so-called lifestyle centers e.g. The Avenue in Murfreesboro. I guess they figured people will show up for the right store mix whether or not the walkways are air-conditioned. It is definitely a lot less expensive to build a non-enclosed shopping center.
You beat me to it. Lifestyle centers are replacing indoor shopping malls.

I can see the benefit to both. Driving up to one particular store you like is nice, but it doesnt lead to much browsing at other stores. Whereas at the mall, I visit many different stores since its easy. I may go for JC Penny but since I am there I will walk over to Gap as well.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,775,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It is generally on par with Peebles/Goody's, Kohls, J.C. Penney, etc. The flagships are on par with a standard Macy's or low end Nordstrom, Von Maur. While a flagship location is great news for the community, Cool Springs could support much more high end stores than this.
Agreed. I was really hoping Von Maur would take the place of Sears at CoolSprings.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville