Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, let's use NY as an example of how to do it.

13 of the largest 25 publicly traded companies in Nashville are based here.

24% of the fastest growing companies in TN are based here.
Nice try, but you know full well I'm not using NY as an example of how to do anything. But in case you actually don't understand, they are the leading example of what NOT TO DO.

Quote:
No one is turning anyone away. The only thing I would turn away is people who claim they want one thing but really want another.
Who exactly are you accusing of what? Your loaded with animosity right now and I have no idea why...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
North Carolina is probably a good example of what scares them. Too many of us northerners move down there on the single issue of cost of living, then, when we get there, vote for the exact same people and policies that are ruining the north in the first place--eventually making it unaffordable for some natives with low paying jobs that have been there for generations.

I do hope I feel welcome when I move, but I don't blame their initial apprehension. That being said, most of the people moving (especially to Williamson County area) are working class people bringing education, skills and money with them. Many are bringing business' and jobs with them. Considering the poverty level in TN, you would think Tennesseans might welcome this type of influx a little more than they are showing. Then again, they might just be "breakin ya balls" as they say on LI
Just to clear up a couple of things, Sept moved here from MA. She is a transplant herself.

Secondly, I have to say that I totally agree with wmsn's reaction to your second paragraph. Williamson County has been one of the wealthiest counties in the country for years, long before Nashville was making all the "hottest cities" lists.

I like you and find you to be generally reasonable and friendly on the board, but that paragraph is pretty offensive.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

Who exactly are you accusing of what? Your loaded with animosity right now and I have no idea why...
You really don't see how your post is a tutorial on carpetbagging?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Just to clear up a couple of things, Sept moved here from MA. She is a transplant herself.

Secondly, I have to say that I totally agree with wmsn's reaction to your second paragraph. Williamson County has been one of the wealthiest counties in the country for years, long before Nashville was making all the "hottest cities" lists.

I like you and find you to be generally reasonable and friendly on the board, but that paragraph is pretty offensive.
I didn't even realize that's what was going on here. Didn't mean to be offensive in the least. Now that you mention that I think I realize why that comment didn't even make sense to you folks: you don't have a state income tax.

I have never lived in a state without a state level income tax. Because of this, I assumed (somewhat incorrectly--minus sales tax) that ANY jobs and ANY workers are necessarily better for the state. That's why I said "Tennesseans" but I realize now the impact is much more localized.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 AM

362 posts, read 645,599 times
I'm actually a little confused to what the problem is with northerners. First, the term "yankee" is not cute or funny. Neither is halfback, which someone said straight to my face. That would be like calling Tennesseans "hicks" which means uneducated with no class. Would any of you from the south like that? (and there are much worse names than that)

And what's with the accent thing? Every state has their own little accent.

I agree I would not want someone moving in to my neighborhood (whatever neighborhood that might be) and complaining how they wish it was this way or that way (like where they came from).

I am personally moving for a different way of life. I am also bringing an established business to the state of Tennessee. I would think that would be a plus.

I don't want to push my views on anybody or change a thing about Tennessee.

Franklin and Brentwood are wealthy communities. Anyone who has the money to buy into the communities can and will. Why would the natives care? I can understand if the change is deteriorating the neighborhood but I doubt it is. Talk about traffic, personally speaking, your traffic is nil compared to a big city. I'll take your traffic plus 10 more years of growth anytime.

There SEEMS to be some form of resentment/bitterness about others moving into the state. Believe me, people coming into your state from others states will most likely bring a certain amount of education/wealth. And I can't imagine anyone moving into your state to lower their cost of living would vote to raise taxes.

It seems that those who are not in favor of "northerners" moving to Tennessee are holding back what they actually feel. But I guess that is the southern way. Kill you with a smile.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Good thing your not in office with that attitude. NY is begging companies to come back. Their airing commercials all over the country offering a 10 year tax break to business that start in NY and you want to turn them away? That's laughable.Guess that "Southern Hospitality" has faded over the generations. Or maybe it's all the transplants?
I think most Tennesseans are fine with transplants that move here and embrace Tennessee for what it is. But I can see how your comment can be taken as an insult, too. You may have not intended it that way, but Wmsn4Life is right, Williamson County is one of the wealthiest counties in the entire country. It's not like it is a place that has a dearth of education, skills, money, or jobs. Beggars can't be choosers, but Williamson County isn't a place for beggars (except for selling newspapers at Cool Springs Blvd @ Mallory -- y'all know what I'm talking about). So I can see where she comes from when she says 'it's not like we're waiting for you to rescue us'. Nashville is the most prosperous metro in the state, and Williamson County is the most prosperous area in the metro.

There are, however, counties outside of Nashville that are desperate for jobs, money, and education. If you were referring to one of them, then I could see why you would ask "why would you turn us away"?

Also take into account that Williamson County has grown by 138% since 1990. Residents that have lived there for longer than a few years have seen just how wildly things have changed. Some things are good -- loads of shopping, both high end and regular, tons of restaurants, lots of good-paying jobs, increased reputation, high tax revenue (a lot via sales tax). Some things are not so good -- loads of cookie cutter houses blanketing what used to be quaint farmland or pretty country drives, exponentially increased traffic in some areas, strains on public infrastructure to keep up with roads and schools.

So you could see why Williamson residents might want to slow things down a bit? Growth is fine. In fact, I'd say growth is good. But you have to be able to handle it. Williamson County, and most of the Nashville area in general are struggling to handle it.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
I'm actually a little confused to what the problem is with northerners. First, the term "yankee" is not cute or funny. Neither is halfback, which someone said straight to my face. That would be like calling Tennesseans "hicks" which means uneducated with no class. Would any of you from the south like that? (and there are much worse names than that)

And what's with the accent thing? Every state has their own little accent.

I agree I would not want someone moving in to my neighborhood (whatever neighborhood that might be) and complaining how they wish it was this way or that way (like where they came from).

I am personally moving for a different way of life. I am also bringing an established business to the state of Tennessee. I would think that would be a plus.

I don't want to push my views on anybody or change a thing about Tennessee.

Franklin and Brentwood are wealthy communities. Anyone who has the money to buy into the communities can and will. Why would the natives care? I can understand if the change is deteriorating the neighborhood but I doubt it is. Talk about traffic, personally speaking, your traffic is nil compared to a big city. I'll take your traffic plus 10 more years of growth anytime.

There SEEMS to be some form of resentment/bitterness about others moving into the state. Believe me, people coming into your state from others states will most likely bring a certain amount of education/wealth. And I can't imagine anyone moving into your state to lower their cost of living would vote to raise taxes.

It seems that those who are not in favor of "northerners" moving to Tennessee are holding back what they actually feel. But I guess that is the southern way. Kill you with a smile.
Pipe down, Yankee!

I don't speak for everyone, but I don't mind accents. I mind attitudes. No matter where you are from, if you come to Nashville and enjoy it for what it is, then you are welcome in my book.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
You really don't see how your post is a tutorial on carpetbagging?
No, that seems a rather strong historical term. I am not moving down south to exploit the region, I'm moving down there because it is more congruent with my philosophies, politics and the values in which I would like to raise my family.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Considering the poverty level in TN, you would think Tennesseans might welcome this type of influx a little more than they are showing. Then again, they might just be "breakin ya balls" as they say on LI
Oh my. This is precisely the kind of attitude that irks Southerners about some Northerners who swoop down here with the attitude that they're going to "save us" from ourselves. The thinly veiled motive is that we Southerners are obviously too stupid to know what's best for us, so we need the saving graces of Northerners to point out what we're doing wrong so we can be redeemed and be just like them.

It's a pompous and arrogant attitude that is full of false assumptions. And we all know what happens when we assume.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Oh my. This is precisely the kind of attitude that irks Southerners about some Northerners who swoop down here with the attitude that they're going to "save us" from ourselves. The thinly veiled motive is that we Southerners are obviously too stupid to know what's best for us, so we need the saving graces of Northerners to point out what we're doing wrong so we can be redeemed and be just like them.

It's a pompous and arrogant attitude that is full of false assumptions. And we all know what happens when we assume.
Jeez lol. That comment is being taken for wayyyy more thasn what I meant it to be. I don't think the north is going to "save" anybody--I think the north is going to self destruct from unsustainable economic and social policies.

I know that williamson county is and has been a very affluent area, I explained my error about it in another post.

All that was meant by that statement is that jobs and money in an area are good. Thats all. No matter how rich or poor, South or north. I guess there was a degree a pomposity in that I was implying our transplants tend to be working class rather than the criminal element in New Haven, Hartford or the Bronx, but certainly no insult was meant to TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville