Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 PM

38 posts, read 129,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromAL View Post
Any "where to live/where to avoid" advice specific to Murfreesboro?
I live in the Medical Center Parkway/Blackman area as well. It's really convenient for me as it's close to my job. Also, it seems to be the newest/fastest-growing part of town. I know around me there's about 4 developments either about to expand or totally start new. Also in this area there's a good mix of homes, townhomes, and apartments.

When I was looking for a house about a year ago, things were moving really quickly. I was checking RealTracs every day and sending links to my Realtor as soon as I saw them. Apparently, houses were going to pending within a couple of days going to the market, especially in my price range. I ended up in a townhome, which has its positives and negatives.

Feel free to PM me as well if you have questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM

124 posts, read 236,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan08 View Post
I live in the Medical Center Parkway/Blackman area as well. It's really convenient for me as it's close to my job. Also, it seems to be the newest/fastest-growing part of town. I know around me there's about 4 developments either about to expand or totally start new. Also in this area there's a good mix of homes, townhomes, and apartments.

When I was looking for a house about a year ago, things were moving really quickly. I was checking RealTracs every day and sending links to my Realtor as soon as I saw them. Apparently, houses were going to pending within a couple of days going to the market, especially in my price range. I ended up in a townhome, which has its positives and negatives.

Feel free to PM me as well if you have questions.
Will do.

Thank you!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Default I'm Heeeerrre!!!! :-)

Hi there everyone!

I decided to settle myself in Murfreesboro currently in the Barfield Crescent area.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help and provide my perspective for those thinking of moving to The 'Boro.

About Me: I am an unmarried 30 yo, AA, young woman professional with a job that mostly involves working from home and some travel. I do not have any kids. My socioeconomic status places me in upper-middle, middle class. I live a fairly typical young professional lifestyle, though I must note while enjoy "The Turn Up", lol, as much as the next young person, I do not need to do so frequently, averaging maybe once every six to eight weeks. I am more of homebody, preferring to read or paint as fun things to do, but can be a bit high maintenance in relation to having conveniences (shopping, eating, etc.) handy. Note: This information is not at all to toot my own horn but to give readers my full perspective as this is often information I have wondered when reading someone's view of a city.

My Initial Concerns About MBoro:
  1. Not enough conveniences
  2. Having to go to Nashville anytime I wanted to be a "young professional" as far as hanging out is concerned
  3. Either being TOO much of a college town or TOO much of an old fashioned family town

My Current Views of MBoro (previous concerns addressed below):
I was delighted to find that the city is self-sustaining for my needs. I do not NEED to go to Nashville, though there are some instances in which I prefer to do so, which I will discuss more shortly. There are plethora of wonderful shopping conveniences from grocery stores, to shopping (The Avenue is AMAZING!). I also discovered a great outlet mall in Lebanon, TN that is about a 30 minute or so drive away. There are even options for me if I want to enjoy drinks out with my friends, with Bar Louie being one of my current fave choices. Finally, I find MBoro to being in more or less in the middle of the spectrum as it relates to "college town" versus "kid town". There are certainly things to do for little ones here, but it does not wreak of "this town is at the whim of those 12 and under" or "this town is at the whim of those between the ages of 18 and 24". I also love that "the country" is only a short drive away. I currently only have to drive 15 minutes or so to get farm fresh eggs, which I love!! I have enjoyed my time in Mboro (almost a year) to the point that I decided to buy a home here (currently under contract YAY!!), which given my nomadic past, is a super big deal in my world. Lol. I think that MBoro is going to continue to grow and become a big TN city in its own right, and I want in on the action! :-)

While I love, love, MBoro, I would be remiss if I didn't mention what I perceive as it's drawbacks. The first, being self-proclaimed "foodie", is its lack of culinary diversity. While there are tons of chains (and some very good ones), I am still having to travel to Nashville if I want to have a unique brunch experience, or tapas for dinner, etc. I hope that as the city continues to grow, the amount of small owned/unique restaurants will increase. The next drawback is if I want to go to a dance club, I am still having to go to Nashville for that. As a final note, given the nature of my current occupation, I do not know much about rush hour traffic in the city.

Overall, my issues with the MBoro, are IMO, those associated with any city in the throes of growing pains, and I think will decrease over time. Obviously, I believe that the Pros TOTALLY outweigh the cons and is worth consideration for anyone that is okay with living in suburbia and visiting "the city", rather than vice versa.

To any of you reading this post with more questions, feel free to DM me. It was this allowance from other awesome posters that helped me to decide that the city was right for me.

Last edited by ComingfromAL; 04-06-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 06:24 PM

Oops. Typos. Dang those homonyms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromAL View Post
Hi there everyone!

I decided to settle myself in Murfreesboro currently in the Barfield Crescent area.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help and provide my perspective for those thinking of moving to The 'Boro.

About Me: I am an unmarried 30 yo, AA, young woman professional with a job that mostly involves working from home and some travel. I do not have any kids. My socioeconomic status places me in upper-middle, middle class. I live a fairly typical young professional lifestyle, though I must note while enjoy "The Turn Up", lol, as much as the next young person, I do not need to do so frequently, averaging maybe once every six to eight weeks. I am more of homebody, preferring to read or paint as fun things to do, but can be a bit high maintenance in relation to having conveniences (shopping, eating, etc.) handy. Note: This information is not at all to toot my own horn but to give readers my full perspective as this is often information I have wondered when reading someone's view of a city.

My Initial Concerns About MBoro:
  1. Not enough conveniences
  2. Having to go to Nashville anytime I wanted to be a "young professional" as far as hanging out is concerned
  3. Either being TOO much of a college town or TOO much of an old fashioned family town

My Current Views of MBoro (previous concerns addressed below):
I was delighted to find that the city is self-sustaining for my needs. I do not NEED to go to Nashville, though there are some instances in which I prefer to do so, which I will discuss more shortly. There are plethora of wonderful shopping conveniences from grocery stores, to shopping (The Avenue is AMAZING!). I also discovered a great outlet mall in Lebanon, TN that is about a 30 minute or so drive away. There are even options for me if I want to enjoy drinks out with my friends, with Bar Louie being one of my current fave choices. Finally, I find MBoro to be in more or less in the middle of the spectrum as it relates to "college town" versus "kid town". There are certainly things to do for little ones here, but it does not reek of "this town is at the whim of those 12 and under" or "this town is at the whim of those between the ages of 18 and 24". I also love that "the country" is only a short drive away. I currently only have to drive 15 minutes or so to get farm fresh eggs, which I love!! I have enjoyed my time in Mboro (almost a year) to the point that I decided to buy a home here (currently under contract YAY!!), which given my nomadic past, is a super big deal in my world. Lol. I think that MBoro is going to continue to grow and become a big TN city in its own right, and I want in on the action.

While I love, love, MBoro, I would be remiss if I didn't mention what I perceive as its drawbacks. The first, being a self-proclaimed "foodie", is its lack of culinary diversity. While there are tons of chains (and some very good ones), I am still having to travel to Nashville if I want to have a unique brunch experience, or tapas for dinner, etc. I hope that as the city continues to grow, the amount of small owned/unique restaurants will increase. The next drawback is if I want to go to a dance club, I am still having to go to Nashville. Note: Given the nature of my current occupation, I do not know much about rush hour traffic in the city.

Overall, my issues with MBoro are IMO those associated with any city in the throes of growing pains, and I think will decrease over time. Obviously, I believe that the pros TOTALLY outweigh the cons and is worth consideration for anyone that is okay with living in suburbia and visiting "the city", rather than vice versa.

To any of you reading this post with more questions, feel free to DM me. It was this allowance from other awesome posters that helped me to decide that the city was right for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville