Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 PM

83 posts, read 142,373 times

Advertisements

I'm planning an out-of-state move from Nashville in May. Does anyone have any recommendations on reputable moving companies in Nashville? I had such a horrible experience with the last company I used (i.e. movers showed up five hours late, were high and drunk, and double-charged me) and I don't want that to happen again obviously.

Also, what is a reasonable amount to pay for moving expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 11,067 times
I have done a couple of out-of-state long distance moves. Depending on the distance you have a few options. My suggestion is to call a few movers directly and get an estimate. I have used mayflower twice and was pleased with both moves. Or call a smaller company like two men and a truck. Or you could pack a POD and have them move it for you, then unpack when they deliver the POD to your new address. You can hire local movers to unload/load the POD. There are a lot of options and if you pack everything yourself, you will save money.

Whatever you do, do NOT solicit bids or estimates from the internet. They are brokers who will harass you for months trying to get your business. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:23 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
We payed almost $5000 to move from CT to TN in April 2010 for a 3 bedroom house. It really does depend on where you are moving from, how much stuff you have (like we left our washer and dryer . . would have cost another $400 to move them I think he said), and the time of year.

Lucky we weren't charged more for moving to a flooded area!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 AM

125 posts, read 197,981 times
We used Glenn Enterprises (a family-owned operation of 3 brothers based in Nashville -(615) 834-4499) for our move from Boca Raton to Nashville. They came down to Florida and gave an estimate (which was better than the national moving companies) and even though a couple of glass items were broken, they stood by the job and paid for the repairs with no issues.

They were honest, dependable and seemed very reliable in all aspects - and men from the Nashville area did the packing and drove the trucks up from Florida. The furniture was delivered within 2 days of the pick-up (which you know if you received national quotes is not guaranteed by the national firms). The national firms told us a one week to two week window for delivery which was impossible to accept.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:01 AM

362 posts, read 645,693 times
I am in the process. My stuff is in storage right now but the move from NY to Tennessee (Nashville area) with Wheaton is $8000 for 11 rooms of furniture, approximately 2400 sq ft living space.

I know people have had problems with Wheaton but we know the owner personally so I'm hoping my stuff makes it there without too much damage.

Total count of pieces 355, boxes alone 155 and that's with a baby grand piano.

Hope that is helpful.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:08 PM

16 posts, read 17,734 times
We moved from NJ to the area in Jan and used continental van lines. We moved a 2 bedroom house and a lot of stuff from storage ( used to have a 4 bedroom which we sold and moved half our stuff into storage). They packed all the furniture but we packed the china, books, kitchen stuff etc. we around 8500 for everything and they delivered in 2 days. It was snowing heavily in NJ the day they loaded everything so it took longer than expected but we still got the delivery on time and they unpacked abd reassembled everything. The only casualty of the move was a picture frame ( which was my fault - wasn't packed properly).
Overall very happy with the movers. They were the only ones we found that were moving by actual weight of our stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville