Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:23 PM

28 posts, read 56,065 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Franklin, Tenn tomorrow and was wondering which is the easiest route; a way to avail tows as much as possible and easier shorter trip. I truly appreciate your advice. You guys rock!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 02:19 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Are you going all the way in one day?

Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
I've got family that comes up from Melbourne...75N all the way to Chattanooga, then 24W into Nashville. I'd tell you to peel off at 840 just north of Murfreesboro and take 840 W to I 65 N. Franklin's just north of this interchange. Makes more sense to get on 840 right there at Murfreesboro than drive into Nashville and back down 65. Yes, you hit Atlanta and Orlando, but maybe timing could avoid some of this.

They can make it in a day...but I recognize you're adding another 2 hours probably coming up from FtL instead of Melbourne.

I guess you could also hit I 10 at the panhandle to hwy 231 up through lower Alabama then get on 65 around Montgomery...but my guess is that would be a slow go once you get off the interstate. At least that's been my experience.

Either way, it's a haul.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italeki7 View Post
I will be traveling from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Franklin, Tenn tomorrow and was wondering which is the easiest route; a way to avail tows as much as possible and easier shorter trip. I truly appreciate your advice. You guys rock!!!
Did you mean "avoid" towns as much as possible? If so, I've done that route. Well, from Tampa. But it's almost the same. From Fort Lauderdale take the Florida Turnpike to where it meets I-75 between Orlando and Ocala. Yeah it means you'll have to drive through Orlando, but the turnpike through Orlando is really not that bad (the tolls probably scare people away).
  • Head north on I-75 to Lake City (just north of Gainesville).
  • Take I-10 west to Marianna.
  • Just west of Marianna take US Hwy 231 to Dothan AL.
  • Stay on US Hwy 231 all the way to Montgomery AL.
  • At Montgomery, take I-65 north all the way to Franklin.

You'll have to go through Birmingham, but driving through Birmingham is infinitely better than driving through Atlanta which is what you'd have to do if you stayed on I-75 all the way to Tennessee.

**If you're not trying to avoid cities, then definitely do what DonCorleone suggested and take I-75 all the way to Chattanooga, then I-24 to Murfreesboro, then Hwy 840 over to Franklin.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 PM

I see there are multiple ways to get there.The map says it will take me about 13 hours and a half. Thanks for the information. I will take it all into consideration.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:16 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,334 times
Having made a similar trip many times (currently living in Melbourne but former Nashville-area resident), I concur with the advice. The 75/Atlanta route will be faster *if* you're going through at a time of day outside of rush hours (in Atlanta, "rush hour" is three hours long, at least). The route that goes through Alabama will be slower in the best-case-scenario, but it's less stressful and more predictable. The stretch between I-10 and I-65 in lower Alabama is all four-lane, and outside of Dothan and Troy, it moves along well (65 mph speed limit in many places).

I've also done the trip by going through the Carolinas (from Florida, that would be 95 to 26 in South Carolina, 26 west to Asheville, pick up 40 and go west), which avoids large cities. But it adds considerable time. We only did that when we had side trips in mind.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:45 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,502 times
Practice, practice, practice?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys! I was told by a truck driver friend that it's best to take the Florida i95 from South Florida to Jacksonville, then take the i10 w/b then connect to the i75 n/b then i24 to Franklin. Is this also a good route?

Last edited by italeki7; 07-17-2014 at 09:33 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italeki7 View Post
Thanks guys! I was told by a truck driver friend that it's best to take the Florida i95 from South Florida to Jacksonville, then take the i10 w/b then connect to the i75 n/b to Nashville. Is this also a good route?
I'd take the Turnpike. 95 seems to have a lot of traffic...and is a longer route.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:37 AM

I finally made it last night. Actually in one piece . It was a rough experience driving from Florida to Franklin, Tenn. On route to Tenn, there were down pours, heavy fog, darkness, curvy roads, blazing trucks spraying heavy water against my windshield etc..., causing my experience to be very hazardous, and at time, life threatening. I prayed God to keep me during the trip and he did It took me over 15 hours to get to Franklin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville