Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:28 PM

25 posts, read 33,298 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

Is Tennessee still a sellers' market for Antiques?

What sells and where??

Looking forward to hearing all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 AM

96 posts, read 171,877 times
My parents have a couple of booths in antique stores and large furniture antiques are hard to sell. Smaller items seem to be the most active.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 PM

374 posts, read 690,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemarlin08 View Post
My parents have a couple of booths in antique stores and large furniture antiques are hard to sell. Smaller items seem to be the most active.
Wondering if anyone else has noticed that the demographic that is typically in the market for furniture is no longer interested in antiques.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 PM

57 posts, read 141,365 times
My wife and I love to go antique shopping however, what we find is; overpriced junk and painted furniture. People! please don't paint antique furniture, it does not add value, it subtracts value and it takes me many hours to strip it.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 PM

374 posts, read 690,027 times
I think we have this woman to blame. Look at the lovely grain on that piece she's ruining. All for a silly trend (Shabby Chic II -- The Turquoise Years) that won't die soon enough.

Annie Sloan - Chalk Paint® tutorial No.1 - one-colour distressing technique with dark wax. - YouTube

Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM

25 posts, read 33,298 times
I've seen that furniture has been selling low (might just be a good time to buy and hoarde!), and glass - glass has been tough because fewer and fewer people are learned in it, so it is hard to price well. If it sells cheap because the value is underestimated, it is hard for an educated person to get true pricing. Smalls, books, paper, antique jewelry, advertising etc.. always seem to hold up in any market.

I agree with overpainting, but not just overpainting - i hate to see someone take something nice and weathered and chippy and scrape the paint to make it even -- Me yelling Nooooooo!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,431,090 times
Goodlettsville (north by northeast of downtown Nashville) has a very long tenured history of antique stores. I've talked to people who will drive hours and stay in local hotels to check out the antique malls there. To each his/her own, I suppose. Other than Gville, the monthly Nashville Flea Market at the TN State Fairgrounds has lots of antique dealers there too.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 PM

914 posts, read 1,971,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Grayce View Post
My wife and I love to go antique shopping however, what we find is; overpriced junk and painted furniture. People! please don't paint antique furniture, it does not add value, it subtracts value and it takes me many hours to strip it.
If it truly subtracted value then people I wouldn't do it in large numbers. What you say is probably true for a small minority of antiques, but for most antiques dealers and resellers can make more money by refinishing them. I was listening to NOR a few days ago and a segment they covered was on the declining value of antiques. Antiques have lost value over the last 10-15 years.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:59 PM

57 posts, read 141,365 times
This is my most recent piece, a bachelors chest. It was given to me, free of charge. If you look closely at the drawer lock it reads "W&J Sloane" If you Google that name you will find that this was a fine furniture designer/manufacturer/retailer in New York that catered to the affluent clientel back in the late 1800's early 1900's. This company had a staff of furniture designers and decorators. They were very exclusive, they even designed furniture for and decorated the White House as well as many celebrities of the day and cruise ships.
Under that hideous blue paint I found Quilted and Tiger Maple. Typically I don't even look at painted furniture, this one almost got away. Painted, this chest was free, stripped and restored I'm estimating $2000. maybe more.

Last edited by Early Grayce; 07-12-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 08:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,558,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Grayce View Post
This is my most recent piece, a bachelors chest. It was given to me, free of charge. If you look closely at the drawer lock it reads "W&J Sloane" If you Google that name you will find that this was a fine furniture designer/manufacturer/retailer in New York that catered to the affluent clientel back in the late 1800's early 1900's. This company had a staff of furniture designers and decorators. They were very exclusive, they even designed furniture for and decorated the White House as well as many celebrities of the day and cruise ships.
Under that hideous blue paint I found Quilted and Tiger Maple. Typically I don't even look at painted furniture, this one almost got away. Painted, this chest was free, stripped and restored I'm estimating $2000. maybe more.

What the heck was going through the mind of the person who first put a paintbrush to that beautiful piece??

My husband and I used to buy English oak pieces all throughout Franklin and southern Middle TN, but it does not appear that the market is as strong as it was in the early 90s. It's just not the style, but the painted furniture and salvage stuff that is popular now.

I agree that the antique malls I visited recently seemed to have mostly chotchkes and nostalgia pieces and not as much great furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville