Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 05:14 PM

815 posts, read 2,017,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
A miniscule portion is 37013. Lenox Village itself is 37211, and the commercial development to the south of that (near Concord) is actually 37027. Those areas have never been considered Antioch.

I understand completely what you are trying to say. I'm saying that even playing hypothetically doesn't work there. I'm not dogging Antioch. I say the same thing to friends of mine that think East Nashville is like its own city.
All of the neighborhoods just behind Lennox Village are considered Antioch... What gives??? You don't live in the area, nor do you care about it, so why are you so concerned with it? It is what it is, you can't change the facts just because you think you know everything. Somethings you don't know so just let it be.
You have debated the lake area being Antioch or not, the bell rd area, Tusculum, now this area... Debated the zip code lines and all, but have not been to a single Antioch planning meeting, nor are you and Antioch area council person, and more importantly you are not an Antioch resident. So what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
All of the neighborhoods just behind Lennox Village are considered Antioch...
That's fine. My statement was simply that Nolensville Rd. itself is not in Antioch.

Quote:
What gives??? You don't live in the area, nor do you care about it, so why are you so concerned with it? It is what it is, you can't change the facts just because you think you know everything. Somethings you don't know so just let it be.
First of all, you can't speak for what I do or do not care about. I care about the city of Nashville, including all of its neighborhoods and communities. A better Antioch means a better Nashville. Same goes for all the other areas. So quit this whiny little "everybody's against Antioch" attitude every time someone displays an opinion that you disagree with. It's old. It's stale.

Second of all, I do not know everything. I have never suggested that I come close to knowing everything. Most of the time, if there is a topic on this board that I know little about, I just stay out of it.

But in terms of maps, borders, statistics, and history -- I do know a bit. Not everything...but a bit. I grew up in Southeast Nashville (37027) and have (had) family in Donelson, Madison, Old Hickory, Inglewood, Belmont, and Forest Hills. Both my parents were raised here, and my mom's side has been here for several generations. I've spent a lot of time in various parts of the city (including Antioch).

I would let it be if you weren't being so snippy with other posters that had questions or comments about the area.

Quote:
You have debated the lake area being Antioch or not, the bell rd area, Tusculum, now this area... Debated the zip code lines and all, but have not been to a single Antioch planning meeting, nor are you and Antioch area council person, and more importantly you are not an Antioch resident. So what gives?
The part of the lake that can be considered Donelson is primarily north of Hamilton Creek Park. I'm not talking about Bell Rd between Smith Springs and Murfreesboro Rd or anything like that.

Tusculum isn't a debate at all. Tusculum is....Tusculum. Same can be said for Paragon Mills.

I haven't debated the zip code lines themselves. I only stated that zip code lines aren't always a good indicator of an actual border. Take 37211, for instance. There is a huge difference between the 37211 area in Woodbine and the area near Holt Rd and Edmondson Pk. Literally the only thing those areas share in common is the zip.

So what gives? Since you are an Antioch resident, you get to decide what neighborhoods to annex to fit your views? Since I am not a resident, I have no idea what or where Antioch is? Do I need to ask your permission next time a poster asks ME a question?

Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,472 times
I think Antioch should be renamed. There is so much negativity towards it. Almost all of it undeserved. Most people are still white, the crime is lower than all of the downtown neighborhoods, there are no housing projects there, and even neighborhoods in Antioch rename themselves Cane Ridge and Percy Priest for the sake of home values. Do away with the name Antioch.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 PM

While I agree that the name has had an adverse effect on a lot of things (such as home values), I am generally not a fan of renaming neighborhoods.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
That's fine. My statement was simply that Nolensville Rd. itself is not in Antioch.

First of all, you can't speak for what I do or do not care about. I care about the city of Nashville, including all of its neighborhoods and communities. A better Antioch means a better Nashville. Same goes for all the other areas. So quit this whiny little "everybody's against Antioch" attitude every time someone displays an opinion that you disagree with. It's old. It's stale.

Second of all, I do not know everything. I have never suggested that I come close to knowing everything. Most of the time, if there is a topic on this board that I know little about, I just stay out of it.

But in terms of maps, borders, statistics, and history -- I do know a bit. Not everything...but a bit. I grew up in Southeast Nashville (37027) and have (had) family in Donelson, Madison, Old Hickory, Inglewood, Belmont, and Forest Hills. Both my parents were raised here, and my mom's side has been here for several generations. I've spent a lot of time in various parts of the city (including Antioch).

I would let it be if you weren't being so snippy with other posters that had questions or comments about the area.

The part of the lake that can be considered Donelson is primarily north of Hamilton Creek Park. I'm not talking about Bell Rd between Smith Springs and Murfreesboro Rd or anything like that.

Tusculum isn't a debate at all. Tusculum is....Tusculum. Same can be said for Paragon Mills.

I haven't debated the zip code lines themselves. I only stated that zip code lines aren't always a good indicator of an actual border. Take 37211, for instance. There is a huge difference between the 37211 area in Woodbine and the area near Holt Rd and Edmondson Pk. Literally the only thing those areas share in common is the zip.

So what gives? Since you are an Antioch resident, you get to decide what neighborhoods to annex to fit your views? Since I am not a resident, I have no idea what or where Antioch is? Do I need to ask your permission next time a poster asks ME a question?
You may know some things but you don't know all, so stop trying to think you know everything, there are others that know more than you do so just face the fact. You get so defensive when it is not viewed your way.. As I stated, you attend any Antioch area planning meetings you know nothing..., btw, you are wrong about the Hamilton creek area, do I need to take a pic of the welcome to the Priest Lake community for you???? You are also wrong about the Tusculum area as well... So please stop trying to be an expert on everything that you know nothing about. I can post documented files to back up every thing I say.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
I think Antioch should be renamed. There is so much negativity towards it. Almost all of it undeserved. Most people are still white, the crime is lower than all of the downtown neighborhoods, there are no housing projects there, and even neighborhoods in Antioch rename themselves Cane Ridge and Percy Priest for the sake of home values. Do away with the name Antioch.
I urge you to attend area meetings and your views will be changed.. Find out who your area council member is and get added to the email list to find out about meetings... Also attend CNAP meetings that are the 2nd Tuesday of each month that will give you much insight on what's going on in Antioch... We are not living on the negative image people think about Antioch, far past that... Also, Cane Ridge and Priest Lake did not change their name... You can PM me and I can give you more valuable information on Antioch and ways to get involved with the movement out here so your views won't be skewed by comments you read on here that know nothing about Antioch.... Not trying to sound smart, but I know you are new to the area but your viewpoints are 10 years behind, but again I urge you to PM so I can guide you in the right direction to knowing what's really going on in Antioch, rather than getting info from here.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
You may know some things but you don't know all, so stop trying to think you know everything, there are others that know more than you do so just face the fact. You get so defensive when it is not viewed your way.. As I stated, you attend any Antioch area planning meetings you know nothing..., btw, you are wrong about the Hamilton creek area, do I need to take a pic of the welcome to the Priest Lake community for you???? You are also wrong about the Tusculum area as well... So please stop trying to be an expert on everything that you know nothing about. I can post documented files to back up every thing I say.
Can you read?

I already said I didn't know everything. No need for you to repeat that.

As far as getting defensive when something is not viewed my way....pot, meet kettle.

NORTH of Hamilton Creek was HISTORICALLY Donelson. That's what I said. It was Donelson before there was a lake and before all of the development near the lake. Obviously things have changed over time. No need to take a current picture because it's not a historical sign. Back then there was no "Priest Lake" BECAUSE THERE WAS NO LAKE. READ BEFORE YOU RESPOND.

I grew up with a lot of kids that lived in the Tusculum area. I have never heard anyone refer to Tusculum as Antioch. I hear them refer to it as Tusculum. It is a separate area.

I guess I'll start attending the Antioch area planning meetings when they decide to annex more areas that aren't Antioch.

Antioch and Southeast Davidson are not one in the same. Antioch is the largest, but one of many communities in Southeast Nashville. It is not an umbrella term like North, South, East, or West Nashville's. You're starting to sound like the local news with your all inclusive approach. Over time, as development increases, umbrella neighborhood names tend to shrink, not grow. For instance, what is now Rivergate used to be Madison, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone that would refer to the area as Madison today. Why? It is distinctly different from the rest of Madison. At one time, Antioch may have taken up a huge portion of SE Davidson County. But over time, individual distinct neighborhoods grew up along different corridors. But in the terms of Tusculum, even a 1960s era map of Nashville neighborhoods does not include it in Antioch -- but rather Providence.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Can you read?

I already said I didn't know everything. No need for you to repeat that.

As far as getting defensive when something is not viewed my way....pot, meet kettle.

NORTH of Hamilton Creek was HISTORICALLY Donelson. That's what I said. It was Donelson before there was a lake and before all of the development near the lake. Obviously things have changed over time. No need to take a current picture because it's not a historical sign. Back then there was no "Priest Lake" BECAUSE THERE WAS NO LAKE. READ BEFORE YOU RESPOND.

I grew up with a lot of kids that lived in the Tusculum area. I have never heard anyone refer to Tusculum as Antioch. I hear them refer to it as Tusculum. It is a separate area.

I guess I'll start attending the Antioch area planning meetings when they decide to annex more areas that aren't Antioch.

Antioch and Southeast Davidson are not one in the same. Antioch is the largest, but one of many communities in Southeast Nashville. It is not an umbrella term like North, South, East, or West Nashville's. You're starting to sound like the local news with your all inclusive approach. Over time, as development increases, umbrella neighborhood names tend to shrink, not grow. For instance, what is now Rivergate used to be Madison, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone that would refer to the area as Madison today. Why? It is distinctly different from the rest of Madison. At one time, Antioch may have taken up a huge portion of SE Davidson County. But over time, individual distinct neighborhoods grew up along different corridors. But in the terms of Tusculum, even a 1960s era map of Nashville neighborhoods does not include it in Antioch -- but rather Providence.
Again, you do not know everything... Let's pause the Antioch conversation and jet across town to Rivergate since you want bring that up.... Rivergate is simply the business name of the area while the mall sits in Goodletsville and served by Goodletsville police and Goodletsville proudly claims the mall... Madison starts on the eastside of the mall including Gallitin rd. up to the sumner county line. For business references the entire area is refered to as Rivergate... I'm in that area just as much as Antioch... Now let's jet back southeast.... Why do you continue to mention pre-lake days when the area was very rural??? I have explained that in today's times with the growth of population south of the lake, the Hamilton Creek creek area of 37217 is included in the Priest Lake Community...the area to the west of that is Una, and always has been... So we are speaking for today's times, current situations... The Tusculum area I am referring to is along Tusculm rd. between Blue Hole Rd. and Nolensville, a long stretch where part of it is 37211. The people in the area attend Cole elementary, Antioch Middle, and Cane Ridge High, and yes it too is under the umbrella of Antioch.
So they next thing you will be saying is the land is flat in Antioch right??? Or that Mill creek is not a creek in Antioch...

Old 04-13-2014, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 40,821 times
Antioch is okay with me. It used to be FUN when i moved from Michigan around 2008 or so especially when TGIF was across from the mall but it has gone downhill

Its no longer have the hip or cool feeling anymore, seems like it is more family oriented now or a place for older folks. When i first moved to Antioch in 2008 it was nothing but a younger crowd around, always something to do especially the sport bars, but it have gone downhill

I'm curious as to where all the younger women moved to?? use to be alot of nice young women around but not anymore

Antioch got bad when they started to push people out the projects/low income housing complex they were closing, Antioch Apts then starting accepting those low lifes(the reason i moved)

But i have to say police and community did a good job because the crime rate is low compared to north nashville madison area.

But really now I have to say antioch is boring to me, it is really laid back now and not the cool hip feel it use to be but I'm younger

I have no ideal where the younger crowd moved to but i would like to know

Really there is NOTHING hip about antioch,nashville except the west end

Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 PM

12 posts, read 30,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post

I've been so busy that I'm just catching up on some of the comments on this thread.

I think ANTIOCH should retain it's name - it is a Historic Community. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and I do not really have clue why the people in now Cane Ridge wanted to change their names other than for some elitist reason

Priest Lake did not change their name from Antioch. Before Antioch started growing Priest Lake grew. Areas that we always considered Una would built up dramatically after Percy Priest Lake came into being. The first subdivision was Edge-O-Lake and then most of the area was just called Priest Lake.

It wasn't until the Antioch Post Office was created that some of the area was annexed into the 37013 (Antioch) zip code.

I have lived in the Una area since 1961.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville