Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM

9 posts, read 18,218 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone, I just registered so I'm brand new here. MY wife and I just spent a few days down there over spring break with our two kids and loved it. We have been wanting out of IL for some time now. Just wanted to know how you all like your "way of life". It seems as though for the most part your elected officials running the state seem like they know what they're doing (unlike IL). Our main goals are less of a tax burden and a milder climate. This winter was absolutely brutal up here. As far as the tax thing, I like the fact that TN has no state income tax and your property taxes are one fifth of what they are up here. We have kinda been looking at Murfreesboro, seems like a nice little town. I would especially like to hear climate opinions from anyone that has relocated from the upper midwest.
Thanks Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:35 PM

372 posts, read 593,412 times
We relocated from Cleveland, Oh to Nashville in 2010. It was a ROUGH transition. I was at least hoping for the weather to be our saving grace, but the weather was frigid and awful that first winter and brutally hot that summer. The tornado warnings gave me panic attacks and I was in tears most of the first year I lived there.

The second year things brightened up a bit and the natural beauty of the area came into full light. The slower way of life is nice and people seem happier. Good luck! What town are you thinking of. We have since moved back up north, but I do miss a lot of TN.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog On Bed View Post
Just wanted to know how you all like your "way of life".
Way of life is subjective obviously, and you'll find all different kinds of "ways of life" in Middle TN from rural/suburban/urban, hillbilly/hip hop/hipster, and all points inbetween. But by and large we're live and let live types of people here. Mostly laid back but not to be confused with being lazy or unmotivated.

Quote:
It seems as though for the most part your elected officials running the state seem like they know what they're doing (unlike IL).
Well, that's very debatable, even "for the most part". Generally speaking, of course, TN's government has been wise to keep taxes low and be attractive to businesses. I'll try not to lay or step into any minefields here, but you can Google some rather unconventional proposals made (and passed) by the state legislature in recent years mostly on social issues and gun rights. So, while some transplants like the impression TN's government sends out of being low tax and pro business, they may be puzzled at the legislature's focus on social issues. Or just Google "Stacey Campfield" for hours of entertainment.

Quote:
Our main goals are less of a tax burden and a milder climate. This winter was absolutely brutal up here. As far as the tax thing, I like the fact that TN has no state income tax and your property taxes are one fifth of what they are up here.
I think you'll find the taxes to be a welcome break. The weather...well as citymama said, we do get 4 seasons here and winter (especially this last one) can be downright cold. Of course, it's not as long or as bitter as Illinois, I'm sure, but I would be aware that you will not want to leave your big winter coats up north if you move here. You may not need the snowblower, but bring the thick coats. Summers are very hot and humid. Late July - August can be brutally hot. Still, we have a good climate overall if you're looking to minimize the exposure to snow and sustained frigid temperatures.

I've got friends who settled here from upper Indiana and while they didn't enjoy the cold, they had a good perspective of "as bad as it is here, it's worse there."

Quote:
We have kinda been looking at Murfreesboro, seems like a nice little town.
Murfreesboro is a great city. Far enough out of Nashville to be seperate, but close enough to be within relatively easy driving distance (45 mins +) to the big city. What kind of area are you looking to settle in? Something rural? Suburb? That might help us steer you in some areas to explore online.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:14 PM

337 posts, read 448,735 times
I live in Murfreesboro. Be glad to answer any Murfreesboro specific questions. DM me if you want.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:19 PM

>Don Corleone- We would be looking at some place in the middle of of city and small town (I know that's a full spectrum of poss.). We're in small town now and the drama is driving us nuts, but we don't want to be downtown. We don't desire to pay more for housing simply to be located downtown. we just want most of the amenities like a home depot without having to drive 30 minutes to get there like we do now. a population of 30-60k I presume.

You guys are making me a nervous with the weather. What's an average winter day temp in Jan, Feb? I suppose I could look this up.
Chris

Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
I live in Murfreesboro. Be glad to answer any Murfreesboro specific questions. DM me if you want.
Thanks

Old 04-08-2014, 02:27 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog On Bed View Post
>Don Corleone- We would be looking at some place in the middle of of city and small town (I know that's a full spectrum of poss.). We're in small town now and the drama is driving us nuts, but we don't want to be downtown. We don't desire to pay more for housing simply to be located downtown. we just want most of the amenities like a home depot without having to drive 30 minutes to get there like we do now. a population of 30-60k I presume.

You guys are making me a nervous with the weather. What's an average winter day temp in Jan, Feb? I suppose I could look this up.
Chris
The weather is completely overblown because this was one of the coldest on record and it's still in peoples minds. It's normally mild in comparison to most of the country. There are normally cold fronts and it's also not uncommon for it to be in the 50s and 60s at times in the middle of the winter during the day. It's just forgotten (and rightfully so) because of the rare stuff we just went through.

By the books, the average temps from November to March are:

November - High: 60
Low: 39

December- High: 50
Low: 31

January- High: 47
Low: 28

February- High: 52
Low: 32

March- High: 62

Old 04-08-2014, 02:30 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Here was this February in Nashville:

Nashville February Weather 2014 - AccuWeather Forecast for TN 37219

One February my camellia bush was blooming and I stained the deck. I honestly didn't find it particularly cold, just long. I wore gloves twice. But I moved from CT so it's all relative!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
The weather is completely overblown because this was one of the coldest on record and it's still in peoples minds. It's normally mild in comparison to most of the country. There are normally cold fronts and it's also not uncommon for it to be in the 50s and 60s at times in the middle of the winter during the day.

By the books, the average temps from November to March are:

November - High: 60

December- High: 50
Low: 31

January- High: 47
Low: 28

February- High: 52
Low: 32

March- High: 62
Thanks Drake, I just looked up our winter here in Rockford area, and the avg this winter was 14.1F with an average low of 5.1F, with about 47 inches of snow. Multiple records were set for low temps each month of -20 or less. Yikes!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Here was this February in Nashville:

Nashville February Weather 2014 - AccuWeather Forecast for TN 37219

One February my camellia bush was blooming and I stained the deck. I honestly didn't find it particularly cold, just long. I wore gloves twice. But I moved from CT so it's all relative!
Hey Countrygirl, your kinda what I've been looking for, someone from a frigid area to offer some perspective. I think we went a solid 3 months up here this year without hitting a high of 30 during the day let a lone 20's. That gets depressing. Given, this year was exceptionally bad. To get a fifty degree day during Jan or Feb would be a downright blessing.
Thanks Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville