Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,674 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I will be starting a position with the State of TN located downtown Nashville.. The problem is I've never lived in a setting like this so I am super nervous.. I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me the best possible way to get to working Monday-Friday?

I will be relocating somewhere close to Nashville very soon (Still in the process of finding a place) but I would ideally like to Park and use the shuttle services OR possibly use the Music City Star Train system.

I do know that State employees can apply to get a Swipe N Ride card which allows free public transportation.. but does anyone have any insight on how the Sate employee parking by the ball Fields works? I have so many questions and any insights or information would help

Thanks so much in advance!

-E.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
BY the "ball fields," I assume you mean the RTA's 91X Relax and Ride shuttle, which picks up and drops off in the Civitan ballfield parking lot on Concord Rd. in Brentwood. That bus also picks up in Franklin in the Williamson Square Kroger parking lot.

State employees tickets for that bus are subsidized by the state; you would need to park in that lot and catch the bus there.

http://www.musiccitystar.org/Middle-...-schedules.asp

Really, it's hard for us to recommend anything without knowing where you will live. Above all, we need to know your housing budget. Are you planning to rent or buy? If you're planning to rent, you would have MANY more options in Franklin than Brentwood.

The Music City Star train only goes to Hermitage, Donelson. Mt. Juliet and Lebanon.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:37 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
I think she means the parking at LP Field. They then take the shuttle into Downtown to work at the State office buildings.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 AM

So you would drive all the way into downtown to park at LP Field only to ride a shuttle across the bridge??

Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
Here are the routes for the Swipe & Ride:

Tennessee Smart Commute

Nashville is really lacking in public transportation options, BTW . . . .

Old 05-27-2014, 09:36 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So you would drive all the way into downtown to park at LP Field only to ride a shuttle across the bridge??
A lot of people park at LP field and take the shuttle.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
A lot of people park at LP field and take the shuttle.
Hmm. I guess that helps with the downtown parking problem but it doesn't really keep cars off the interstates.

Anyway, I hope OP comes back soon with more details.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post

Nashville is really lacking in public transportation options, BTW . . . .
That is correct.

One of the biggest concerns for people who want to ride public transit is that once the Star or Relax and Ride bus drops you at the terminus (Music City Central or Riverfront train stop), there is not really a way to get to your office except to walk.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:11 AM

914 posts, read 1,982,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That is correct.

One of the biggest concerns for people who want to ride public transit is that once the Star or Relax and Ride bus drops you at the terminus (Music City Central or Riverfront train stop), there is not really a way to get to your office except to walk.
While I think that's true for much of Nashville, I don't think that's true at all for people working downtown or in the Gulch (and hopefully midtown and West End if the AMP is built). The downtown circulator sand the MTA shuttles all pick up at the Star terminus, and the circulator is timed for the arrival of train. For the OP the circulator drops off at most 2 blocks away for state employees along 5th Ave.

If I lived along the Star route and worked downtown I would love to take it to work.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
While I think that's true for much of Nashville, I don't think that's true at all for people working downtown or in the Gulch (and hopefully midtown and West End if the AMP is built). The downtown circulator sand the MTA shuttles all pick up at the Star terminus, and the circulator is timed for the arrival of train. For the OP the circulator drops off at most 2 blocks away for state employees along 5th Ave.

If I lived along the Star route and worked downtown I would love to take it to work.
True, the Music City Circuit is free and awesome, with many stops:

Nashville MTA Music City Circuit - Free bus service to key destinations in downtown Nashville

I think of it as a tourist bus; not sure how I forgot it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville