Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 AM

65 posts, read 95,484 times

Advertisements

Looking on google earth, and it does seem like their are a good enough amount of pools in Hendersonville area, I will be looking for one of those if I decide to join you fine folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 11:59 AM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It looks like that lot has a pretty significant slope. Who knows what went into the prep work to get that pool in. You have to figure in the costs of grading and digging out rock, which are VERY high.
Yep. Fencing, same deal -- when we put in a 4' picket around our backyard in Mt. Juliet, we had to pay a "tough dig" surcharge on every single fencepost, because they had to jackhammer through rock most of the way to the proper depth. Ended up being almost 20% of the total cost of the project, if I remember right.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Thanks exislander , Long Island is where I'm thinking of moving from, was that your move also?
If so, how do you like it?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:17 PM

362 posts, read 645,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Link to listing? I'm curious to see the 100k backyard myself.
I think it's in contract. Forget the # but it's on Loch Leven Way in Hendersonville

Old 05-30-2014, 07:14 AM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape From NY View Post
Thanks exislander , Long Island is where I'm thinking of moving from, was that your move also?
If so, how do you like it?
No, we moved from Florida (and moved back last year). We really liked Tennessee, though.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
Escape from NY, I'm originally from Long Island and moved here after being in CT for 10 years.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 AM

42 posts, read 60,999 times
Another X-LI person

My first house had a above ground pool. By July the water was as warm as a bathtub, wound up giving it away on Craigs list.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 AM

Thanks guy and gals, will definitely be looking to pick the brains of the ex- long islanders.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:17 AM

138 posts, read 600,586 times
I agree.. community pools are not my thing.. however.. It would certainly make me stay in shape.. hmmm lol

Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 AM

362 posts, read 645,435 times
So I went to a pool installer yesterday. The area I am going to move into, one of the homes being built is having a built in installed. We walked around back and spoke with the two men digging the hole. They were 5 feet down and hit rock so had to stop. We asked them the name of the company.
So yesterday we decided to stop into their retail location since we were in the area. (Will not say name openly although they have a decent reputation)
So, we spoke to the owner about fiberglass and steel wall/liner installation. The difference in pricing is approximately $5000-$10,000 depending on size of fiberglass pool.
It seems like basic 16' x 32' rectangle steel wall pool with 3' cement concrete surround would cost about $35,000.
The owner either doesn't like northerners and has trouble hiding it or was annoyed at our questions. We are seasoned pool owners. We wanted to know why the cost was so expensive. I just don't see why the cost would be that high. We watched them dig to 5 feet. Here you have the option to stop and modify depth of pool. It seems it's also common to have shallow pools, which I would consider.
So we can't figure out why it is double the cost to install a basic inground. Same materials, same cost for materials, cheaper labor costs.
I would like a legit answer to why it is so expensive. First the girl at the shop said demand. Well that's not true as only 20% at most have inground pools.
They have a fee for everything. $4000 a day if they need to blast rock. Fee to remove excess dirt, etc....
I'm thinking it's more like there are not an abundance of pool installers here and they can dictate market pricing.
No exaggerating here. 3 years ago we redid our backyard in NY. We didn't install new pool but let's say we did, that would be $16,000 and include all new equipment.
We did huge paver patio throughout backyard, surrounding pool (and in mean huge with Multi colored design, custom layout to accommodate outdoor furniture, BBQ area, etc...
Paver patio $18,000 (this also included new paver entrance in front & new driveway)
New looploc $1000
New liner $3,000
Irrigation front and backyard (all flower beds too) $2000
Landscaping $4000
We didn't do fencing over but estimate for 6' privacy resin fencing $10,000
We were planning to put a fireplace in but decided to move, estimate $10,000

You get the picture.

Something is very off. And to top it off, he said approximately 6 weeks. WHAT? Why so long?
I'm just not getting why it's so expensive? Personally I think they are overcharging because they can (not that it will stop me from getting one. I'll just be pissed through the whole process)
Ok, just venting here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville