Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot1 View Post
Didnt read the whole thread, but here are A few things:

1) Better mass transit - light rail, better buses, AMTRAK (it's insane that AMTRAK doesn't service Nashville).
2) Major League Baseball. I know, FTP just opened, but it's still just MiLB. I'm a baseball nut and I've dreamed of MLB in Nashville my whole life.
3) More direct international flights in and out of BNA. It sucks that to fly anywhere internationally not named Cancun or Toronto that you have to connect through another city. Hoping that we can get a direct from BNA to Heathrow. One day, I hope.

These are just a fEw. I'd also like for a retractable roof stadium for the Titans in 20 yearS. I want a Super Bowl in Nashville. Its the only way it'll happen.
An AMTRAK line from Atlanta to Memphis with stops in Chattanooga and Nashville would be awesome.

BNA to Heathrow would be awesome the British consulate has been doing more events the last couple years here in Nashville which i great. The flights to London lately have been cheaper out of BNA than Chicago or NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:51 AM

39 posts, read 46,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
An AMTRAK line from Atlanta to Memphis with stops in Chattanooga and Nashville would be awesome.

BNA to Heathrow would be awesome the British consulate has been doing more events the last couple years here in Nashville which i great. The flights to London lately have been cheaper out of BNA than Chicago or NY.
I'm flying to Venice, IT in 3 weeks but I live out west. I thought it'd be cheaper if I just flew to Nashville, spent a couple days visiting family and friends, then headed out of BNA to VCE. Wrong. Even though flying out of Vegas and Nashville both require multiple connections to get to Venice, my flight was going to be 1400 instead of the 1125 I paid. I didn't get it.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot1 View Post
I'm flying to Venice, IT in 3 weeks but I live out west. I thought it'd be cheaper if I just flew to Nashville, spent a couple days visiting family and friends, then headed out of BNA to VCE. Wrong. Even though flying out of Vegas and Nashville both require multiple connections to get to Venice, my flight was going to be 1400 instead of the 1125 I paid. I didn't get it.
Airline fares rarely make sense.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:30 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,742 times
connecticut

Old 02-12-2017, 02:13 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
I realize this is an old thread, but Whataburger was listed by many here as what people would bring to Nashville. It looks like that may be happening soon.

Could Whataburger be coming to Nashville?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:15 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Portillos, from chicago... portillos food is phenomenal.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:08 PM

800 posts, read 951,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
I agree with your statement about light rail being a trophy. As a Nashville transplant living in Boston I believe the whole light rail thing may be cultural. Us southerners are so use to the convenience of our cars and not having to plan activities around public transportation that we do not take advantage of it. Frankly, public trans can hinder spontaneity aka freedom. In fact, we even learn at a young age that once you are old enough to drive you are "free." This makes us less likely to jump on the light rail or city bus to go into town because it was never habitual for most of us, and even taboo for some. Besides, we do not have the same parking congestion and high parking costs as Boston, NYC, Chi, etc so there is not much of an incentive for southerners to utilize public transportation. Once it starts to take two hours to drive from downtown to Goodletsville, Antioch or Old Hickory or you spend an hour driving around looking for ANYWHERE to park when you drive downtown then public transportation will start to be a real option and not so taboo.

This statement is utterly ridiculous. Boston has three massive infrastructure advantages over Nashville -- Logan is right next to downtown, over a dozen Amtrak trains to NYC each day, and the T. Two of those aren't possible in Nashville but the third -- a real transit system -- is and is essential to Nashville functioning as the population grows.

Other cities the same size as Nashville don't have the same traffic problems. There is hardly such thing as a traffic jam in either Indianapolis or Columbus, OH. A lot of that is dumb luck with the flatness of each and the layouts that didn't anticipate metros of 2 million but adapted pretty well. Nashville's layout is very annoying at 2 million and simply won't function at 3.

The only way the city can keep growing is by an intensive, multi-billion remake of several of the major arterials so as to concentrate population growth in walkable areas with rail transit. For example, Gallatin Pike should be rebuilt as a wider street from the stadium out to Briley Parkway with rail in a center landscaped reservation, real sidewalks, and rezoned so that the fast food and tire places and strip malls can be replaced with midrise residential and office. That can be replicated on part of Charlotte and a few of the other arterials.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:41 PM

153 posts, read 197,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
This statement is utterly ridiculous. Boston has three massive infrastructure advantages over Nashville -- Logan is right next to downtown, over a dozen Amtrak trains to NYC each day, and the T. Two of those aren't possible in Nashville but the third -- a real transit system -- is and is essential to Nashville functioning as the population grows.

Other cities the same size as Nashville don't have the same traffic problems. There is hardly such thing as a traffic jam in either Indianapolis or Columbus, OH. A lot of that is dumb luck with the flatness of each and the layouts that didn't anticipate metros of 2 million but adapted pretty well. Nashville's layout is very annoying at 2 million and simply won't function at 3.

The only way the city can keep growing is by an intensive, multi-billion remake of several of the major arterials so as to concentrate population growth in walkable areas with rail transit. For example, Gallatin Pike should be rebuilt as a wider street from the stadium out to Briley Parkway with rail in a center landscaped reservation, real sidewalks, and rezoned so that the fast food and tire places and strip malls can be replaced with midrise residential and office. That can be replicated on part of Charlotte and a few of the other arterials.
Uhm, I'm going to have to step in here and get this off my chest. There are many metros similar to the size of Nashville that are currently growing right now here in the South that face traffic issues like Nashville. Orlando, where I'm from, is one city where traffic is a HUGE issue. The major highway Interstate 4 is currently being revamped from Daytona across to Tampa. Every major roadway in the city is being expanded or is in talks of being expanded because the city has grown so fast. And guess what? Orlando has a metro population of 2 million+ (just like Nashville.)

There are slightly just a couple of walkable, dense areas in the entire Orlando metro region (most of the city is suburban sprawl with tons of cars, strip malls and freeways) and Orlando has been growing for a VERY long time now and was discovered as a popular place long before Nashville was.

Orlando also just put in light rail a couple years ago (mind you, it is barely used). Also, all of Florida is FLAT, just like Indianapolis and Columbus. The major metros Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando etc. all suffer from traffic issues, poor infrastructure and rapid population growth. Go visit the forums on here and you will see similar complaints.

Nashville is FAR from being alone in this case of crazy traffic and rapid population growth.

It all trickles down to comprehensive city planning, the brains of politicians and money that will get these metros to support better infrastructure and thus, create a better living environment for their citizens.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:48 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times
I would rather have Nashville be on the western edge of the Eastern Time Zone instead of the eastern edge of the Central Time Zone so it'll be daylight out longer, I just love the long summer days and felt the summer days are too short in Nashville compared to many other cities.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:03 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Uhm, I'm going to have to step in here and get this off my chest. There are many metros similar to the size of Nashville that are currently growing right now here in the South that face traffic issues like Nashville. Orlando, where I'm from, is one city where traffic is a HUGE issue. The major highway Interstate 4 is currently being revamped from Daytona across to Tampa. Every major roadway in the city is being expanded or is in talks of being expanded because the city has grown so fast. And guess what? Orlando has a metro population of 2 million+ (just like Nashville.)

There are slightly just a couple of walkable, dense areas in the entire Orlando metro region (most of the city is suburban sprawl with tons of cars, strip malls and freeways) and Orlando has been growing for a VERY long time now and was discovered as a popular place long before Nashville was.

Orlando also just put in light rail a couple years ago (mind you, it is barely used). Also, all of Florida is FLAT, just like Indianapolis and Columbus. The major metros Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando etc. all suffer from traffic issues, poor infrastructure and rapid population growth. Go visit the forums on here and you will see similar complaints.

Nashville is FAR from being alone in this case of crazy traffic and rapid population growth.

It all trickles down to comprehensive city planning, the brains of politicians and money that will get these metros to support better infrastructure and thus, create a better living environment for their citizens.
Naww, Nashville's traffic is definitely worse. I have been to Orlando countless times and never just sat for hours on the interstate for no apparent reason other than a bottleneck or fender bender blocking movement for several miles. Orlando is moving forward with interstate expansions, investment in sidewalks, greenways, and light rail in which Nashville is doing none. Florida may have tolls, but their roads are in much better shape, particularly within the city of Orlando....Tampa could use a major revamp...Jacksonville is not bad...and well Miami is Miami. I understand Nashville is not alone, but none of the peer cities often mentioned (Columbus, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Charlotte) come close to being as bad as Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville