Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:39 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times

Advertisements

Sure! Direct message me or post here if you have any more questions.

Gallatin has its sore spots...very low income and public housing in some areas. Some older subdivisions that are in need of some tlc. But as Edgefield said, there are also some subdivisions and areas that are some of the most expensive in the entire county. So it's a mix. Gallatin does have more of a unique DNA to it than other areas of town, since it is the county seat and has more of a history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:50 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
(reaches into pocket and gets out 2 cents...)

Gallatin is a better version of Lebanon.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post

Aleppo is a better version of Lebanon.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I absolutely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnysgrl View Post
Hello all!

I've been reading through this thread and there's wonderful info here! However, many of the replies are several years old now, so I thought I'd see if there is any new info about the mentioned spots. My husband, 2 kids and I are looking at most likely moving to TN in anywhere from 2-7 years from now. While I realize things can still change drastically in that amount of time, it would be nice to know how things may have changed since the first post in 2005/2006, until now. Cities/towns mentioned were Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Spring Hill, Hendersonville, Cookeville. On another forum somewhere, I read how awful Gallatin was. Any insight to that? Had found an awesome house and property there, but now I'm not sure if I want to continue looking there. We would like to have a property of no less than 2 acres, but up to 10 would likely be ok. We are currently in CA, and honestly, cannot wait to leave, but there are details to be worked out first, long story, which is why our span of time until moving is so long. We want to be near medical facilities, shopping and great restaurants, but we don't require them to be in our door. We are so done with surburbia and houses so close together that you can hear your neighbors having a conversation. I want space! Thank you, in advance, for info!
If you're trying to escape suburbia, I would scratch Hendersonville and Spring Hill off your list. They are the very definition of suburbia. I mean, as far as suburbs go, they're nice. But if you're trying to get away from suburbia, it doesn't make any sense to go to Hendersonville and Spring Hill. Gallatin and Murfreesboro are different, although they're both growing like crazy with many of the foibles that come with modern suburbia; traffic, soulless commercial blocks, cookie cutter housing developments, etc. But at least they have real, honest-to-goodness downtowns and older, established in-town neighborhoods.

But if you're wanting land away from suburbia--and this will come as no surprise to the regular readers here--I'm going to have to recommend Cookeville. It's far enough from Nashville that it has zero ugly suburban characteristics. Land is a lot cheaper there than in the Nashville ring counties, its hospital is partnered with Vanderbilt and is ranked as one of the top 100 community hospitals in the nation, it's got a thriving downtown with lots of independent, excellent restaurants, galleries, cafés, etc., lots of shopping, and it's surrounded by beautiful countryside with waterfalls, lakes, and a half-dozen state parks. Plus, it's only an hour from the Nashville airport.

https://visitcookevilletn.com/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Agreed Gallatin is a better Lebanon. Lebanon has so much potential, especially with its square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
If you're trying to escape suburbia, I would scratch Hendersonville and Spring Hill off your list. They are the very definition of suburbia. I mean, as far as suburbs go, they're nice. But if you're trying to get away from suburbia, it doesn't make any sense to go to Hendersonville and Spring Hill. Gallatin and Murfreesboro are different, although they're both growing like crazy with many of the foibles that come with modern suburbia; traffic, soulless commercial blocks, cookie cutter housing developments, etc. But at least they have real, honest-to-goodness downtowns and older, established in-town neighborhoods.

But if you're wanting land away from suburbia--and this will come as no surprise to the regular readers here--I'm going to have to recommend Cookeville. It's far enough from Nashville that it has zero ugly suburban characteristics. Land is a lot cheaper there than in the Nashville ring counties, its hospital is partnered with Vanderbilt and is ranked as one of the top 100 community hospitals in the nation, it's got a thriving downtown with lots of independent, excellent restaurants, galleries, cafés, etc., lots of shopping, and it's surrounded by beautiful countryside with waterfalls, lakes, and a half-dozen state parks. Plus, it's only an hour from the Nashville airport.

https://visitcookevilletn.com/
JMT raises great points about suburbia in Hendersonville and Spring Hill. Cookeville could be a good option too as long you're aware of the distance from Nashville. It also has a great university there as well.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:57 AM

586 posts, read 554,726 times
There's always Bowling Green, which is just over the state line to the north. It has a wonderful and historic downtown area.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:00 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
There's always Bowling Green, which is just over the state line to the north. It has a wonderful and historic downtown area.
And it's cheaper than it should be. Personally, I love BG as I went to college at WKU.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,715 times
I am familiar and have been to Bowling Green, and while nice, it's not where we want to be. Thank you for the suggestion though.

We are not altogether opposed to surburbs, but we don't want, as someone earlier described, cookie cutter tract home kind of suburbs. I don't want to live where the nearest grocery store is 45 min away. I do an obscene amount of online shopping (mostly out of convenience) but I do occasionally like to head to the mall and Target/Walmart. Having a Sam's Club or Costco near is important as we do a decent amount of shopping there too. I did look at Cookeville and it does look lovely, but I do think we'd like to be closer to an airport, at least a municipal one that would connect us to a larger one. When I started this research, we were looking at Chattanooga and Signal Mountain. Then we added Murfreesboro. Then I started browsing around the map at the different surburbs of Nashville. I'm not as flighty and disorganized as my search sounds, it's just hard to get real feels of places on the internet, which is why I come here to ask those who live there

Old 11-15-2017, 11:00 PM

37 posts, read 47,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnysgrl View Post
Hello all!

I've been reading through this thread and there's wonderful info here! However, many of the replies are several years old now, so I thought I'd see if there is any new info about the mentioned spots. My husband, 2 kids and I are looking at most likely moving to TN in anywhere from 2-7 years from now. While I realize things can still change drastically in that amount of time, it would be nice to know how things may have changed since the first post in 2005/2006, until now. Cities/towns mentioned were Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Spring Hill, Hendersonville, Cookeville. On another forum somewhere, I read how awful Gallatin was. Any insight to that? Had found an awesome house and property there, but now I'm not sure if I want to continue looking there. We would like to have a property of no less than 2 acres, but up to 10 would likely be ok. We are currently in CA, and honestly, cannot wait to leave, but there are details to be worked out first, long story, which is why our span of time until moving is so long. We want to be near medical facilities, shopping and great restaurants, but we don't require them to be in our door. We are so done with surburbia and houses so close together that you can hear your neighbors having a conversation. I want space! Thank you, in advance, for info!
Did you decide to move there? We're in Napa, CA and considering a temporary and possibly permanent move to Gallatin next month. There may be an opportunity for a travel nurse position to get us there. Let me know if you went, too!

Old 11-18-2017, 09:12 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
Would like to hear more follow-ups too from people who decided to move to these "small towns" around Nashville.

JMT, I can't upvote you right now (as I need to spread a little love according to C-D) but the Aleppo crack was hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville