Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:52 AM

126 posts, read 332,131 times

Advertisements

Is it common down there to either
a) renegotiate the sale price after home inspection findings to reflect cost of necessary repairs
b) to ask seller to issue a credit to the buyer that would be in a negotiated amount
c) or do they only repair themselves?

Our realtor is really causing us doubt on what to expect.

Thank you all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
It depends in what it is. And if course, everything is up for negotiation. If it is a safety issue (loose brick, faulty wiring) it will be revealed to the next buyer if you pass so they would be wise to repair it. I ended up with a carpet credit (cut badly at the top of a step) and she repaired a loose threshold. Fixed crack in tub that would have leaked. Wouldn't budge on ugly paint colors. Appliances sold as is with a little insurance package. But yes, you can ask for them to fix things or give you a credit. They can say no. Then it's up to you. No harm in asking.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times
When we bought our house, the inspector found three fairly minor things. One of them we just overlooked, one the seller fixed and the third item we negotiated $2,000 off the sale price.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
The last time we bought, we had them make three minor repairs with documentation. We let any really minor stuff pass. There was nothing major.

We did not renegotiate the price.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:54 PM

126 posts, read 332,131 times
all the windows (there are a lot) have broken seals or are sealed shut and have no screens. i asked our realtor if it was advised to just ask for a credit or reduction in sale price rather than have the sellers attempt to fix in a short timeframe. i'm being told by our realtor that it is VERY unusual to have money discussed and usually they just have it fixed. i find that very hard to believe. she said 90% of the time people just negotiate fixing it and doing anything related to credits/money gets very messy??

Old 07-10-2014, 01:00 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I would think sealed shut would be a safety issue? I'd say with screens you are on your own. Can you get an estimate and then ask for half back in closing costs or a credit? My sister received $2000 in closing costs for a dying heat pump. I would ask. Not sure about the difference in a renegotiated price vs. a credit. Might mess with your realtors commission????

Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
As Countrygirl said, everything's up for negotiation. But I'd just use some common sense and don't be too difficult.

For example, after inspection the buyers of our last home had a laundry list of things of mostly superficial for us to fix (many were petty like a light bulb that was burned out, putting a weight on the ceiling fan, cleaning out cobwebs in the garage, adding a bag of dirt to a flower bed). He/She was being a bit of a diva we thought. More substantial items like a cracked window and a crack in the masonry I fully understood. But cobwebs and a light bulb? Come on. We complied but it left a somewhat bitter taste in our mouths at the time and had the purchaser asked for any kind of break on price we'd have kindly rejected the whole offer. It also manifested in an instance when the buyer wanted to do a walk through to measure for decorations right as we were moving out (this, before their final walkthrough before closing). We did not allow this, mostly because the last thing we needed was to juggle our hectic moving schedule around a diva buyer. They showed up anyways, and we kindly told them to take a hike. Had they been a little less demanding, we probably would have allowed it.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's absolutely your right to ask for the owner to repair or give you the proper sum of money to make repairs. Just do so with more tact than my buyer did and make sure you're asking for a reasonable repair or amount of money. I'm sure you won't have an issue.

EDIT: The OP replied as I was replying...

In the case of sealed windows, I would definitely ask for the repair OR credit. I'm not a realtor, but I have heard enough stories from friends who have either asked for repair credits or doled them out in the way of lowered prices. It may not be common, but I am certain it is not unusual. I wonder if you could get someone to give you an estimate just by doing an exterior exam and then send that to the homeowner when you make your request?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
I think your agent is being a pain. You can do it either way. The last house we sold, the buyers asked us to fix 3 minor things. We offered them $1,000 instead. They said yes and done deal. Sometimes giving money is easier because then the buyers can get it fixed exactly how they want.

I would figure out how much you want in lieu of them fixing the windows, and then have your agent offer both options. But if you still really want the house, be reasonable, you don't want to lose the deal.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:29 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Broken window seals are very common. It doesn't significantly reduce the insulation value of the windows. Fogging of the panes is the biggest drawback. New windows are VERY expensive, and the sellers probably don't have time to get quotes and schedule a seal repair.

You could ask for the credit at closing, which is the most common solution I hear around here.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenrn View Post
Is it common down there to either
a) renegotiate the sale price after home inspection findings to reflect cost of necessary repairs
b) to ask seller to issue a credit to the buyer that would be in a negotiated amount
c) or do they only repair themselves?

Our realtor is really causing us doubt on what to expect.

Thank you all!!!
When we bought our house and we had the appraiser/inspector come in the house, they asked us if there was anything I wanted fixed, and they'd make sure it was added before the sell date.

Our neighbors across the street had their former owner replace all of the carpeting and electronics downstairs before they bought it after the inspection.

Seems pretty common where I am at for the inspector to find things, then the owner has the choice to fix them or just not sale to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville