Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 PM

112 posts, read 404,814 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Chattanooga. I love it here. Not too big and not too small. Not smothered in traffic and the mountains are the allure.

I lived in Nashville several times in the 60s and 70s but the city has changed so much that I do not know where to go that fits my desire.

Let me begin by saying that i hate the burbs and houses that look at each other in all directions and are built 6 feet apart. I have about a half acre fenced here, with trees and stone quiet. All the homes are different and spaced very comfortably so that you have genuine privacy. I have two large dogs so I have to have a set up like this. I am also a ham operator so I need to be in a place that has lenient deed restrictions so I can put antennas up - most very inconspicuously anyway.

Ideally, I'd be looking for something no more than 30 minutes to music row, where I will be working. I am a single guy so big isn't a requirement. I am looking for a single story house with a 2 or 3 car garage at between 2000 and 2400 sqft.

I like neighborhoods with character and trees. No problem with well-maintained and somewhat upgraded older homes either, but newer is fine too if it is in the right place.

My budget is pretty conservative but then, I live in a very nice home here in Chattanooga that is 30 mins from town and very close to parks and lakes and I have 2700 sqft. I got into this place for around 225.

I'd like to downsize in size a little and still have 3 or 4 bedrooms and at least 2 baths so I am looking between 170-240k. Taxes are also a big factor so places that are lower than Davidson county are most preferable.

I would love to have some suggestions on the kind of places I should be looking that fits this description. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Please forgive me if I am off base here...

But you are looking for something with space...with character and trees...but definitely not suburban and preferably not in Davidson County, however within 30 minutes of Music Row.

The only things that really come to mind that MIGHT fit that description...

-Donelson (Post WWII suburban, but old enough to have character. Most homes have generous lot sizes. In your price range, but in Davidson County)
-West Meade (Similar to Donelson, but most places are out of your budget range)
-Inglewood (Some Pre WWII, some post...lot sizes vary and some may be too small, some streets may be too close to hot real estate areas and out of your price range)
-West and North of Madison on Dickerson Road (Throw out character, but the lots are generally bigger, and it's still convenient to town)
-Parts of Cheatham County (not as prone to suburban development, but not a lot of character, either)
-Grassland in Williamson County (not in your budget range. Sort of suburbanish/ruralish. Traffic would be an issue because of a commute through Green Hills)
-Robertson County -- Ridgetop/Greenbrier (a little father up from Madison...small town/rural environment -- really pushing the 30 minutes to Music Row time).
-Some of the western parts of Hendersonville (out of Davidson County, a little older -- but not what I would call "character"...pushing the time constraints...and TRAFFIC).

Most of the suburban development is taking place on the south-southeast-east-and northeast sides of the city. There may be some pockets here and there of neighborhoods or developments that would fit what you are looking for, but considering your lack of affinity for traffic or suburbia, I would concentrate on areas that are closer to town (WWII era suburbs) or on the north/northwest/west fringes of Nashville in a more rural/rugged setting, but close enough to commute.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
The only things that really come to mind that MIGHT fit that description...

-Donelson (Post WWII suburban, but old enough to have character. Most homes have generous lot sizes. In your price range, but in Davidson County)
-West Meade (Similar to Donelson, but most places are out of your budget range)
-Inglewood (Some Pre WWII, some post...lot sizes vary and some may be too small, some streets may be too close to hot real estate areas and out of your price range)
-West and North of Madison on Dickerson Road (Throw out character, but the lots are generally bigger, and it's still convenient to town)
-Parts of Cheatham County (not as prone to suburban development, but not a lot of character, either)
-Grassland in Williamson County (not in your budget range. Sort of suburbanish/ruralish. Traffic would be an issue because of a commute through Green Hills)
-Robertson County -- Ridgetop/Greenbrier (a little father up from Madison...small town/rural environment -- really pushing the 30 minutes to Music Row time).
-Some of the western parts of Hendersonville (out of Davidson County, a little older -- but not what I would call "character"...pushing the time constraints...and TRAFFIC).
I agree.

Since he only wants a half-acre, I was thinking Crieve Hall/Caldwell Hall too. And older parts of Bellevue?

But I can't imagine anything IN Nashville that will be "stone quiet." Probably the rural counties you mentioned and West Meade would be the most quiet.

Atlantis, it sounds like what you hate are tract homes, because some of Nashville's best neighborhoods that would suit you fine now were once considered "the burbs."

Old 07-12-2014, 10:15 AM

114 posts, read 140,813 times
I am a new member and in full disclosure live in the vicinity of the area that I am suggesting...

Based on your considerations, have you considered the Glencliff Estates/Glengarry area? It IS Davidson, but very affordable at the moment. (Knock on wood), I've been here eight years without a problem and am drawn to the affordability, the character of the homes (almost all are different in some way), beautiful lots, and above all, convenience! I can be anywhere downtown in 12-15 minutes when there is no traffic. In my personal opinion, the area is THE best kept secret in Nashville real estate and is growing at a stable rate. This part of town does have its drawbacks, but I have lived in other areas of the city over the years (Crieve Hall, Belle Meade, Brentwood, Donelson, Bellevue, Belmont, and West End) and have actually had a better experience here. No kidding. We initially bought this as an "investment property," moved in, and never left.

As of late, I'm starting to think about moving because schools have become a consideration, but even after being tempted by nice homes in Williamson Co., I can't bring myself to list this place! (Granted, I do need to think about budget/mortgage payment, which may not be a consideration for some.)

Either way, good luck with your search! This is a great forum and I have been lurking for a while waiting for the right time to jump in. Nice people and a wonderful source of information.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:29 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese Kitty View Post
I am a new member and in full disclosure live in the vicinity of the area that I am suggesting...

Based on your considerations, have you considered the Glencliff Estates/Glengarry area? It IS Davidson, but very affordable at the moment. (Knock on wood), I've been here eight years without a problem and am drawn to the affordability, the character of the homes (almost all are different in some way), beautiful lots, and above all, convenience! I can be anywhere downtown in 12-15 minutes when there is no traffic. In my personal opinion, the area is THE best kept secret in Nashville real estate and is growing at a stable rate. This part of town does have its drawbacks, but I have lived in other areas of the city over the years (Crieve Hall, Belle Meade, Brentwood, Donelson, Bellevue, Belmont, and West End) and have actually had a better experience here. No kidding. We initially bought this as an "investment property," moved in, and never left.

As of late, I'm starting to think about moving because schools have become a consideration, but even after being tempted by nice homes in Williamson Co., I can't bring myself to list this place! (Granted, I do need to think about budget/mortgage payment, which may not be a consideration for some.)

Either way, good luck with your search! This is a great forum and I have been lurking for a while waiting for the right time to jump in. Nice people and a wonderful source of information.
Welcome to the forum!

I think the secret about Glencliff Estates/Glengarry area is now out!

Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 AM

114 posts, read 140,813 times
Haha! Thank you for the warm welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville