Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 PM

8 posts, read 9,831 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from Chicagoland (Naperville) to the greater Nashville area. We've visited a few times but it's hard to get the flavor of the town with only a few days' stay. We're wondering what families do for fun, specifically in Nashville itself (we've done the tourist-y things and visited the honky tonks, but I doubt that's what residents with young families are doing on the weekends). Here in Naperville, our family has a list of several local recreational things we love to do and, if all else fails, we just walk downtown, get ice cream, people watch, and throw crackers at the ducks on the Riverwalk. Oh, and the bike trails are numerous here in our area. So what do families do for fun in Nashville? And what about out in the Brentwood/Franklin area?

Thanks for any info. We want to fall in love with the area but so far, we haven't seen anything to rival Naperville. We love it here but the weather and COL have got us interested in seeing what else is out there. Job is a non-issue bc hubby works from home.

If any of you are familiar with Naperville, could you tell me what part of Nashville would most closely compare with Naperville? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:26 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Don't move here expecting it to be Napierville. It's Nashville and you need to be open to changes if you really want to move here. I'm just being honest. If you have not found anything here to "rival" Napierville it might not be the place for you?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 PM

473 posts, read 521,260 times
There's tons to do here with kids:

-an abundance of parks, including Dragon Park
-free music concerts in Centennial Park
-festivals galore, from Franklin to Centennial to East Nashville
-Nashville Zoo
-Adventure Science Center
-the children's theater
-hiking at Radnor Lake
-going to the pool or playing tennis
-the "night" Farmer's Market
-ice cream at Pied Piper and Jeni's

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Our life revolves a lot around our kids.

We do the zoo (which is getting a huge expansion), we go to local parks (Pinkerton in Franklin, Natchez Trace, Warner Parks, Radnor Lake. During the summer we spend a lot of time at our HOA pool, evening concerts, going to downtown Franklin for ice cream (Sweet Ceces) but a new ice cream place looks like it about to open too.

During the school year a lot of weekends are taken up with soccer, birthday parties and such. Just daily life. We try to go swimming at the Y on Sunday afternoons, etc.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:08 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post
There's tons to do here with kids:

-an abundance of parks, including Dragon Park
-free music concerts in Centennial Park
-festivals galore, from Franklin to Centennial to East Nashville
-Nashville Zoo
-Adventure Science Center
-the children's theater
-hiking at Radnor Lake
-going to the pool or playing tennis
-the "night" Farmer's Market
-ice cream at Pied Piper and Jeni's

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
Great suggestions...especially the children's theater. They really do an exceptional job there.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM

8 posts, read 9,831 times
Good suggestions. And by "rivaling Naperville," I apologize that that sounded snobby. Didn't mean it that way. Just meant to imply that we have built a nice comfortable routine of family activities here and we have favorite things that we love about this community. Spending a few days visiting a new town is not enough time to figure out what new activities we would grow to love in a new place. So I was just hoping that those of you who live there already can share your favorite things. And hopefully some of the things that my family loves about Naperville could be found in a new place. Just not sure which of Nashville's areas is the best fit for us.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Christine

Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
This magazine is a good resource for things to do with the family in the area. It comes out monthly and you can find it at any grocery store in town for free as you walk out. Of course, not living here yet, you are going to have to settle for the online version.

For the record, there is a ridiculous number of things you can do with your family on any given evening or weekend. I don't expect you will have a hard time finding a routine here or keeping yourselves active and entertained...

Nashville Parent - Events and Parent Resources for Middle Tennessee.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:03 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaissanceMom4 View Post
We are considering a move from Chicagoland (Naperville) to the greater Nashville area. We've visited a few times but it's hard to get the flavor of the town with only a few days' stay. We're wondering what families do for fun, specifically in Nashville itself (we've done the tourist-y things and visited the honky tonks, but I doubt that's what residents with young families are doing on the weekends). Here in Naperville, our family has a list of several local recreational things we love to do and, if all else fails, we just walk downtown, get ice cream, people watch, and throw crackers at the ducks on the Riverwalk. Oh, and the bike trails are numerous here in our area. So what do families do for fun in Nashville? And what about out in the Brentwood/Franklin area?

Thanks for any info. We want to fall in love with the area but so far, we haven't seen anything to rival Naperville. We love it here but the weather and COL have got us interested in seeing what else is out there. Job is a non-issue bc hubby works from home.

If any of you are familiar with Naperville, could you tell me what part of Nashville would most closely compare with Naperville? TIA.
That sounds sort of like Hendersonville, except the downtown part. I lived in Naperville for a year and love Nashville.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaissanceMom4 View Post
Good suggestions. And by "rivaling Naperville," I apologize that that sounded snobby. Didn't mean it that way. Just meant to imply that we have built a nice comfortable routine of family activities here and we have favorite things that we love about this community. Spending a few days visiting a new town is not enough time to figure out what new activities we would grow to love in a new place. So I was just hoping that those of you who live there already can share your favorite things. And hopefully some of the things that my family loves about Naperville could be found in a new place. Just not sure which of Nashville's areas is the best fit for us.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Christine

Don't apologize. There's nothing snobby about it.

I'm sure you realize that Nashville can't compare to the Chicagoland area. Yes, I'm from the area.

That said, Hendersonville is a favorite of mine. It's also home to Windy City Pizza. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville