Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 01:30 PM

96 posts, read 185,502 times

Advertisements

My husband is IT and I am an RN. Getting a job for me as an RN, usually is not too difficult as I have 20 years experience and healthcare is one of the easier fields to find work. My husband has 20 plus years in IT, but Michigan has been a drag for the past 7 years, at least for him in finding good, IT jobs that do not involve contract work.

What we have noticed is the phone is ringing and the calls are from Nashville area! We have been applying for a while in a lot of states and companies do not like to hire out of state people, but my husband is starting to get calls from TN, specifically Nashville. Unlike our home state, where you can apply your heart out and get an interview or call maybe once every 3 to 4 months it seems.

Do you that live in Nashville area feel that there is job growth? I was shocked to get an offer for a job without ever having an in person interview ( I do have a non traditional Nursing role background, more administration now), but anyhow, it is good news for your state, are ya feeling it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:41 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
For nursing work, I'm not shocked to hear you might get offers sight-unseen. With Nashville being such a huge medical hub and a nursing shortage on top of it, I'd imagine a nurse with experience would be in demand.

For IT work...I might be a little surprised at that actually.

I will say that you guys are doing it right by finding jobs before moving. We read a lot of posts here from prospective Nashvillians who are ready to move first without a job...which is a very risky proposition.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM

That is extremely risky in this economy, let alone one that may be strong! Yes, we will be accepting offers before coming down at least one of us.

I did hear the IT market is pretty good in the Nashville area, maybe not super, but good. I am wondering if anyone has any experience in the IT field could speak on that?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,762 times
I think it depends on what kind of IT you're talking about. Is it desktop support, that market is probably just as saturated here as it is anywhere else in the country. If he is in development or database the market is much better - particularly if he is a .NET developer. If he is in project management or business analysis there is a pretty good amount of demand here.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I think it depends on what kind of IT you're talking about. Is it desktop support, that market is probably just as saturated here as it is anywhere else in the country. If he is in development or database the market is much better - particularly if he is a .NET developer. If he is in project management or business analysis there is a pretty good amount of demand here.
Thanks bspray...he is Systems/Network Admin. He is currently working towards database certs. because of the demand. I know very little about IT, all I know is he is working on programming.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:27 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengables View Post
Thanks bspray...he is Systems/Network Admin. He is currently working towards database certs. because of the demand. I know very little about IT, all I know is he is working on programming.

Programmers are in demand right now as well as DBAs. If he is looking at getting into programming, I can't over emphasize the level of demand there is for .NET programmers right now. While I won't say that he will be able to name his salary, market rate for .NET developers is high and he could basically pick where he wants to work.

While Sys Admins and Network Admins are in slightly higher demand than desktop support, that is still a fairly saturated field. I don't know if I would relocate for that type of job.

If he could jump into a 6 month training program for .NET or DBA, even at a very junior level, the market would probably look appealing for a relocation early next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville