Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,657 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Nashville by June of 2008 (that is the goal). I have my BA in art history and am searching for jobs in the Nashville area and was wondering what the art scene was or if anyone knew of any art jobs out there. Any and all help is appreciated! Thank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 01:27 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,126,151 times
First that me salute you for following your dream. I also assume you know it's going to be a little tough getting a job with a BA in art history in a city the size of Nashville. Have you given any thought to getting an MA?

Some possibilities . . . Watkins Institute (as an instructor), the Frist Center, Cheekwood, one of the private schools, the state government.

Last edited by alleycat; 12-02-2007 at 01:42 AM..

Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 PM

Thank you so much for your speedy reply! Yeah I know it is hard in general to get a job with a BA in Art History. Currently I am working in a museum as an assistant curator and also at a Latino Institute at the University of Notre Dame as a Project Coordinator for a federally funded grant and a curator of their galleries (I lucked out!). I have applied to the Frist Center and Cheekwood and I will for sure have to look into the Watkins Institute.

By chance do you know of a place that would give me a comprehensive guide to the private schools in the area b/c that was a thought that crossed my mind too and the ones I have come across thus far has been some sort of academy which are also looking for someone with a higher level of education or a teaching certificate. I do know that private schools usually do not have the same requirements as public especially catholic schools.

Concerning going and getting my MA I have considered it but due to how late in the year it is going to very hard for me to get a good application together and I don't want to send applications out if they are great!

Thanks again:-)

Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Some other possibilities . . . the State Museum, Rossi College of Art (a small private art school), O'More College of Design in Franklin (another small private college), and the arts program that is run by Nashville Parks (primarily at Centennial Park).

There's a website that lists all the private schools in the area. I don't have a link offhand but you could Google and probably find it.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Great! Thanks so much! This is great information and I will look into all of this!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Oops. I just notice a typo. I meant Nossi College of Art, not "Rossi".

You might also look at Nashville State Community College. They have continuing education courses in a variety of areas. As these are not courses for degrees, they are more flexible about the instructors (in other words, someone doesn't have to have an advanced degree to teach the classes).

Old 12-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Not a problem at all, I knew what you were talking about. You are definately a wealth of information about the Nashville area. I am still looking without a whole lot of luck thus far but people keep saying that after the 1st of the year will be better!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:53 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,335,328 times
If you want to check into Private High Schools,

http://www.greatschools.net/schools....&state=TN&lc=h

There is a huge list of those.

Diane

Old 12-23-2007, 01:32 PM

thanks so much I will look into these!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville