Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,297,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
No, beer is stinky, awful-tasting, urine-colored fizz water.
You've never had a good beer, have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,297,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
Haha! Great replies, Nash and CountryGirl. If I end up moving out that way I'll have to meet up with both of you.

We definitely have the 'sweet' and 'unsweet' thing with tea up here, though it's a fairly recent thing. You hear it mostly in fast food places and restaurants. Speaking of which... most of our meals at sit-down restaurants come with only TWO sides, LoL! You guys are living in the lap of luxury down there.

Sidewalks in the suburbs are hit and miss. Usually the main streets are paved, but the side streets are not.

ETA: You can buy beer and wine coolers before 1pm on Sundays (up here), and anything else after that.
FYI, at a 'meat and three' (some places call them cafeteria style or plate lunches) you can usually order a meat and 2 or even a "vegetable plate" of 3 (though it's really not as healthy as it may sound).

Sidewalks in the burbs are pretty much the same here. Some newer developments have them, but not all. Most main roads in developed areas have them. The funny thing is that some of the neighborhoods in Nashville -- even fairly close to town -- have spotty sidewalk coverage.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 PM

189 posts, read 274,878 times
Re: wine coolers

This was ten years or so ago, it's worth pointing out, so maybe they don't make them anymore!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,715,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
FYI, at a 'meat and three' (some places call them cafeteria style or plate lunches) you can usually order a meat and 2 or even a "vegetable plate" of 3 (though it's really not as healthy as it may sound).

Sidewalks in the burbs are pretty much the same here. Some newer developments have them, but not all. Most main roads in developed areas have them. The funny thing is that some of the neighborhoods in Nashville -- even fairly close to town -- have spotty sidewalk coverage.
You mean mac and cheese, fried okra and fried apples aren't a healthy meal???

Tennessee declares macaroni and cheese a vegetable - Notsville.com

(Note, the article is satire, although I know with Stacy Campfield mentioned that might be hard to decipher.)

Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 PM

Kind of a Tennessee-centric version of The Onion?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,258 times
there are a lot of ohio/midwest transplants here in nashville! my husband is from toledo and i'm from indiana but went to college in springfield, ohio. we moved here from indiana. for us the main adjustments are things already mentioned...people don't know how to drive in rain/snow/ice. cost of living seems to be somewhat higher overall, but not too much. biggest differences from where we have lived before to nashville is higher rent and higher cost of groceries (partially because food is taxed here). utilities seem cheaper though, and so is gas. we really like living here and didn't have TOO much culture shock, just little things here and there.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM

24 posts, read 27,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Well, you CAN buy beer in grocery stores after a certain time, and you CAN buy local wine at the Belle Meade Plantation on Sundays. But that's it. You have to plain ahead if you want to get snockered.
Hey! Why no booze on Sunday? Are bars open on Sunday then? Can you still get alcoholic drinks in any restaurants?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,072,977 times
Yes, bars are open and you can order a drink in a restaurant. Although there are even some totally "dry" counties in Tennessee. The default for all the counties in TN is "Dry" so each county has to amend their laws to allow drinks by the glass, etc. There is a big move here in Middle TN to allow wine to be sold in grocery stores (liquor stores are lobbying against it) which also doesn't happen here.

I moved from CT where you couldn't even buy BEER on a Sunday. The grocery stores would throw big tarps over the beer case. 12 states don't allow any alcohol being sold on Sundays and in two states (PA and UT) you have to buy alcohol from a state run store.

Back in the 60's my family took the train from across country from PA to CA and my parents liked hanging out in the bar car. The servers would come around and tell everyone that the train was about to enter a dry county, and if they wanted another drink to order it NOW!

I guess we haven't all recovered from Prohibition just yet . . . .

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 08-11-2014 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 10:33 AM

914 posts, read 1,977,875 times
I recently lived in Ohio (Toledo) and now live here with Lexington, KY, serving as home in between Ohio and Nashville.

There are a TON of Ohioans that have transplanted here, and none that I know would ever return to Ohio. While there are some slight cultural and economic differences (more Protestant here vs more Catholicism there, more White Collar and arts oriented here vs more blue collar there) your day to day is going to be be fairly similar. Nashville definitely feels more modern than places like Toledo, Dayton, Akron, Cleveland and is fairly similar to Columbus. Nashville is still a tad bit smaller than the three C's in Ohio, but metro Nashville will likely overtake all three in the next 10-15 years if the growth rates remain similar. The downside to that is that the housing costs are higher here, although there are some cost savings here (lower real estate taxes, no income tax).

The thing that has struck me about being here in Nashville is the amount of innovation and entrepreneurship that is present. People do cool, innovative stuff here in regards to IT, real estate, medicine, healthcare administration, music, etc., and it seems to be infectious. Part of the reason is that my station in life has changed, but the biggest piece is the location IMO. I think you'll really like it here.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The servers would come around and tell everyone that the train was about to enter a dry county, and if they wanted another drink to order it NOW!
In case the cops stop the train and do a raid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville