Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Well you know it is completely true. You never see people posting about crimes, etc., in East Nashville but in reality you know there are much rougher areas and more serious crimes in East Nashville, tho any little thing that happens in Antioch, even if it's years ago, gets blasted on here.
It's completely true? What's completely true? That you made a blanket statement? Well I suppose so.

I understand why you get defensive when people stereotype the entire Antioch area as somewhere to avoid, and I think it's a good thing to get a different perspective on Antioch than what we see on here most of the time.

However, I think it undermines your credibility when you use the same arguments that are used against Antioch on other areas of town. East Nashville is also a very large area, and has its dangerous areas as well as its safe areas.

You wish people would stop making uninformed generalizations, yet you use them yourself. Do you not see the problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 02:43 PM

34 posts, read 75,167 times
All of this is really confusing. We only get three days to scout for a home so we really need to have a good list before we come out there. With our budget I feel we could easily end up in a bad area. Are there any websites that could show me what areas are safe? We are from a suburb of richmond and are used to very verrrry low crime rates so we are pretty intimidated by this whole process. Many people have conflicting answers.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
CrimeMapping.com has very accurate crime maps for Davidson County. You can also sort it to show you specific types of crime...like robbery, vandalism, larceny and remove crimes like DUI, domestic disturbance, etc. That might give you a better idea of how serious the crimes committed are.

If you haven't already, check out realtracs.com for real estate listings. EDIT...just read your original post and it sounds like you're renting. They do have rental listings on realtracs, but I'm not sure how good they are when compared to other services.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:58 PM

96 posts, read 172,581 times
If you really want to avoid crime, live and never experienced any crime and don't know anyone that has. in one of the surrounding counties. I have lived in Hendersonville for 40 years. Check the crime maps. the closer to the projects the more the crime.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:03 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
I looked at realtracs. Found this house in Mount Juliet:

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

I have friends who live or lived in Antioch. One in an apartment and one owns a condo. Neither had any problems. So I wouldn't totally rule it out. IF you see something in Antioch that looks good, why don't you run the address by the folks here on the board? There are good and "bad" parts to every city.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
I have a friend who lives in Antioch and has never had issues (single female). Not sure which area, but saying "Antioch" is dangerous is painting a small area with a giant roller. A co-worker bought a house in the general area (out closer to Percy Priest Lake) and again, never an issue.

If you're that freaked out, do extended stay for a month when you get here and then take your time to find a place.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenewcomb9 View Post
All of this is really confusing. We only get three days to scout for a home so we really need to have a good list before we come out there. With our budget I feel we could easily end up in a bad area. Are there any websites that could show me what areas are safe? We are from a suburb of richmond and are used to very verrrry low crime rates so we are pretty intimidated by this whole process. Many people have conflicting answers.
Not telling you need to stay in Antioch, I could easly suggest Donelson or Hermitage, both just as close, but I do know that you will find that Antioch is one if the friendliest communities in the Nashville, and more progressive out of Donelson and Hermitage. You will get more of your money's worth in Antioch...Don't let the silly comments you may read on here scare you, they are foolishness... As someone said on this post some see multi cultures living in an area and automatically mark it as being bad, sadly...that being said, black and white are the majority.
You will hear about crime in every part of Nashville and surrounding areas, no area is crime free, however Antioch is not an area you have to worry about random crimes tho.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
If you're that freaked out, do extended stay for a month when you get here and then take your time to find a place.
I think this is the best advice I've read in the thread thus far. Take your time to get to know several areas and make a more informed decision as a result.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:21 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Yes, and some of them do take pets!

Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 PM

34 posts, read 75,167 times
Thank you for the info. And yes, we are def renting if I hadn't mentioned that before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville