Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 05:34 PM

28 posts, read 96,560 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone can help me with some decision making. We recently went under contract on our home and it will be a quick close. I am going to have to pick a house very quickly. We would like a house with at least 2 acres. After spending hours on the internet, we are still unsure. Can anyone give me opinions on these areas. I know they are geographically dispersed, but we saw homes in these areas that met our criteria of price, acreage and size of home. My husband job will be near the airport. I haven't even begun to look for a position yet. I would like to know commute times to airport area during rush hour, overall opinion of area, do you think it will hold its value, is there any shopping or amenities in that area.

1. Hermitage
2. Gallatin
3. Mt. Juliet
4. Burns
5. Kingston Springs
6. Dickson
7. Smyrna
8. Lebanon

Thank you so much for any insight anyone can give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 06:16 PM

225 posts, read 1,144,098 times
That is certainly a lot of pressure to find a home that quick - and during the holidays! The areas you mention are all extremely different. Are schools important to you? What type of hobbies or interests do you have? Do you mind a long commute? Once you are home, do you need amenties like shopping and entertainment close by or do you prefer a more rural atmosphere. Rutherford and Wilson Counties are both convenient to the airport, and most cities there (Mt. Juliet, Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Lebanon, LaVergne) are going to have shopping and amenities within a short drive time. They are all relatively close to Nashville if you decide to take employment there. Hermitage is in Davidson County so it is by far the closest to Nashville. Feel free to send me an email or contact me through my website if you need specific information on areas.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 PM

28 posts, read 96,560 times
Schools are only important as to resale, as our children are in college. We really are more homebody types, but I do want to have basic shopping in my vicinity. Also like to have some restaurants in the area also, not just fast food. Right now it takes me one hour to commute 12 miles to work, so I would really like to keep commute to 30 minutes or less.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:31 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,334 times
Dickson and Burns will be a tough commute and will be further than I think you want to drive. Depending on traffic, it might take you an hour to get over near the airport. Kingston Springs is not quite as far out that way, but it's in the same direction and will still take you at least 35-45 minutes. Gallatin might be a 40-45 minute commute. Lebanon will probably be a 30 minute commute. From your list, Hermitage and Mt Juliet are the closest at 10-15 minutes roughly. Smyrna is the next closest, but I hear the traffic towards the city is rough coming from that direction.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:44 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
I'd agree with "denawilliams" about commute times (and on a bad day, the commute could be even longer than the time she mentioned). I would strike Gallatin, Burns, Kingston Springs, and Dickson off my list if I were you. I would probably lean towards Mt. Juliet.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,751 times
How much are you looking to spend for this property?

Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
I would say Mount Juliet as well.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:16 PM

100 posts, read 352,264 times
I sent you a personal message a couple days ago regarding our area. Let me know if you did not get it.

I would say Mt. Juliet or Lebanon. The only problem with Mt. Juliet is getting onto and off of the interstate at "prime drive time" is a pain. They are widening the ramps but with the growth going on over there I don't know if it will be enough to handle the congestion.

We took Lebanon since it is way easier to get on and off the interstate by going a few miles down the road. You can easily get to the Providence shopping and restaurants by taking the back roads from Lebanon and it is a straight shot down 231 to all that is in Murfreesboro. We have been pleased with the location. It really feels like we are in the county--which my husband loves--we had 3 deer in our back yard this morning. We are also close to the consumerism stuff--which I love. I could not take being stuck in the boonies somewhere where it takes forever to get to the store.

If you need any more info on Lebanon from a new comers perspective--let me know.

Last edited by hulalula; 12-25-2007 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-05-2008, 11:06 PM

64 posts, read 246,146 times
If you are still looking, you might try East Nashville (acreage may be a problem) or even the Madison are, commute on Briley to airport area may not be that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville