Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:33 PM

34 posts, read 75,085 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I was just wondering some specifics about nashville climate. I know y'all get four seasons, but how long does each one last? Anyone from the east coast (Virginia or North Carolina mainly) who can compare the two? I grew up in Florida and told my husband I wouldn't ever move anywhere without fall and winter. I know y'all get both, but from what months?

For instance, here in richmond we get nice fall weather from about the end of October to about the start of December. Then It's pretty much cold until March or April when it starts to wArm up. Mid May to beginning of October is typically pretty hot, and def humid in June-August, so I'm not worried about the hot and humid summers, just curious on how long the heat lasts.

Is nashville similar to this? I know to expect less snow, but I don't wanna give up winter all together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,795 times
Pretty similar. Short story: Fall starts mid/late October through late November/early December. Winter through early December with the worst of it being in mid January through mid/late February. Spring starts in mid/late March but doesn't really kick in until early/mid April for planting. Summer runs from late May - September with the most oppressive heat/humidity being July-late August...although this year July was extremely nice.

Long story: winter temps begin in December but the threat of winter weather really doesn't start in earnest until mid-January. It is not uncommon for us to get 3-7 days (or longer) of sustained frigid temps (lows in the single digits, highs in the low 20s). But for the most part winter is bearable here though we love to complain about it. Snow and ice, though not significant in accumulation generally, do pose serious problems for commuters here. Transplants love to make fun of how poorly we drive in winter weather (fair point) but many realize that it's just different driving in winter weather here because a) we generally get ice with the snow and b) there are few/no snowplows and snow removal systems in place. So, just be aware that people do freak out about a forecast of 2-3 inches of snow...let alone the snow itself...but in my opinion it is justified because commuting is so difficult and slow. Fortunately, we usually average about 2 of these snows per season...though schools will close down for much less.

Early spring (March) is rainy and the potential for severe storms increases. Usually by tax day in April, plants are safe from the last frost and temps and humidity are very nice. Spring sometimes reaches into early June temperature-wise, but anytime from late May-early June you can expect humidity to be higher and even have low 90s for highs.

Mid/late July brings (usually) the potential for oppressive heat and humidity all the way through late August. Usually it seems like one day in mid September I wake up and realize that the humidity has broken and it's actually pretty nice outside.

Then fall begins in earnest mid October though sometimes we get a heat spell that will test that theory. By Halloween night, its usually crisp, but not too cold...though some years we bundle the kids up before heading out. The leaves are usually at their peak in late October/early November and by late November, they're bare. Thanksgiving can be hit and miss with one foot in Fall and another in Winter. I can remember getting sleet on Thanksgiving and recently serving the turkey in short sleeves. But expect brisk temperatures overall. There's also another increased chance of severe weather usually in October/November which sometimes catches people by surprise.

December, again, is pretty crisp usually. We rarely get white Christmases, but we had one in the last few years (a dusting).

Hope that helps...we definitely get 4 seasons, but summer is the longest. Probably not too different than what you're used to.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM

34 posts, read 75,085 times
Wow DonCorleone thank you! Sounds like it's almost identical to richmond, just less snow. Which wouldn't be the worst thing ever I guess. The snow in richmond is unpredictable. Last year we got several (5 or 6 I think) occurrences of about 3 inches. But that was much more often than usual. Usually we get a few inches in January and February, then one last hoorah in March.

Anyways, thank you for such a detailed answer!

Old 08-25-2014, 11:24 PM

63 posts, read 99,570 times
I've only been in Nashville for a little over a month now. I'm from NC, Greensboro specifically. That said, it seems like Nashville is about 10 degrees hotter with an average increase of humidity of 10-15%. For me, it's uncomfortable warm.

The people I work with that have lived in Nashville for 30+ years say this has been a mild summer.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balatro View Post
I've only been in Nashville for a little over a month now. I'm from NC, Greensboro specifically. That said, it seems like Nashville is about 10 degrees hotter with an average increase of humidity of 10-15%. For me, it's uncomfortable warm.

The people I work with that have lived in Nashville for 30+ years say this has been a mild summer.
It was a very mild summer until about 10 days ago, then summer arrived.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,795 times
Exactly. We are paying today for our mild July. That said, in recent years we've had periods of temps from 99-102 for several days in a row which is intolerable no matter where you're from. So at least it hasn't been that bad yet.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Exactly. We are paying today for our mild July. That said, in recent years we've had periods of temps from 99-102 for several days in a row which is intolerable no matter where you're from. So at least it hasn't been that bad yet.
Coming from San Antonio, while I agree that 99-102 is intollerable, the fact that is is only a few days in a row makes it tolerable. San Antonio stays in that pattern from late May through late October. A couple of years ago they had more than 100 straight days over 100 degrees. THAT is intollerable.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 AM

41 posts, read 78,717 times
I am looking forward to winter this year. Colder weather and no bugs.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,228 times
FYI

Last winter was extremely cold for here but the forecast is the same for this winter according to the farmers almanac.....

StateGuidesUSA.com - Tennessee - What are the average monthly temperatures in Tennessee?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 AM

815 posts, read 2,017,651 times
Usually when we have extreme weather, 99-102, we are not alone. Usually we follow the same weather paterns as the rest of our part of the country up to 500 miles or so around. When its really hot like that more than likely its hotter to the west and northwest of us. St. Louis, MO, and parts of western Illlinois and other plain/midwestern states have had excessive heat warnings for the past several days. While its been hot here we still haven't topped the temps and humidity in those areas just to our west and northwest. Same thing with the extreme cold this past winter, most of the eastern half of the US experienced it at the same time. On average in the summer we top out around 95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville