Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 04:59 PM

22 posts, read 170,854 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I am in error. Is this just for real estate? If it is this site can still be useful, but what I started out looking for is job listings for the nashville area, and I ended up here. I'll tell ya my (short) story and you can kick me out if need be.

My daughter will be graduating college in May "08, and looks to be a full time recording artist/entertainer, at least that is her goal. I am paving the way a little bit wanting to know the area, prices of things certainly, rent especially, and also can she get a job down here in music? She is a vocalist mostly but can play some piano, guitar and also is a song writer with her own material.

I am looking for some info and maybe a contact person who has ties to the music scene. Rents prices too would be helpful. Thank you for your help, this really seems like a nice site. I apologize in advance if this posts needs deleted.

Davey M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 05:21 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
I assume you and your daughter are aware that that's going to be a tough road. A lot of people try, and a few succeed. If she's got a lot of talent and a lot of luck she might be one of those who succeed . . . but even then she'd probably have to "pay her dues". I'm not in the music business, but the first steps would probably be to hang out with other musicians and songwriters in town; get a feel for the way things work; try to play as many clubs as possible (for tips); get her songs in as many hands as possible (and that means knocking on a lot of doors and being persistent). Does she have any other skills so she can make a living while she tries to break into the music business?

Old 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I assume you and your daughter are aware that that's going to be a tough road. A lot of people try, and a few succeed. If she's got a lot of talent and a lot of luck she might be one of those who succeed . . . but even then she'd probably have to "pay her dues". I'm not in the music business, but the first steps would probably be to hang out with other musicians and songwriters in town; get a feel for the way things work; try to play as many clubs as possible (for tips); get her songs in as many hands as possible (and that means knocking on a lot of doors and being persistent). Does she have any other skills so she can make a living while she tries to break into the music business?
Ac, thanks for the response.

Yes she is an amazing talent and she will have a college degree with a music major. She will be qualified to be a teacher but I assume would have to get a State of Tennessee teaching certificate.

She is exceptional on the computer, but I really think her heart and mind is 100% let's get busy I have been in college for 6 years I am ready to share my music with the rest of the world phase.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 PM

I might as well ask while I am here is there anyone out there that has a band or knows of one in the Nashville area that is looking for an "awesome" female singer/song writer?

Old 12-25-2007, 03:13 PM

100 posts, read 352,209 times
Have you looked on Craigs List or talent6.com?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulalula View Post
Have you looked on Craigs List or talent6.com?
No I haven't, but I will. Whats Graig's list?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:23 AM

100 posts, read 352,209 times
http://nashville.craigslist.org/

Here is a link to the Nashville section of Craigs List. There is a section for each state--and usually broken down to be city specific. People can post jobs, real estate, etc. Alot of times there are job openings posted too. I have seen ones for singers and models. Just review everything with a critical eye. If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Best of luck to your daughter in starting her career. I know it has to be an anxious time sending her off to a new place. The people here are pretty helpful so just post if you need something.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
There's also the Nashville Scene. It's a free weekly newspaper that the arts and music communities reads. There's always "musician wanted" ads.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 PM

32 posts, read 133,453 times
Davey,

The music industry is a hard business to break into. I've probably known 2 dozen people who have moved here to become singers, songwriters or sound engineers. I know one who has "made it" at a reasonable level of sucsess. Most had degrees in music or recording. I'm not trying to discourage you and your daughter. I just want you to know how hard it can be. I've seen too many people go from musicians to permanent singer/song-waiters.

As far as apartments go, check out two newspapers: The Nashville Rage and Nashville Scene. Check out Craigslist. Most importantly--drive the neighborhoods. That's where the best bargins are.

Check out the bulliten boards at the coffee shops (Fido, Bongo Java, etc.) and music stores for possible gigs. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddurkee75 View Post
Davey,

The music industry is a hard business to break into. I've probably known 2 dozen people who have moved here to become singers, songwriters or sound engineers. I know one who has "made it" at a reasonable level of sucsess. Most had degrees in music or recording. I'm not trying to discourage you and your daughter. I just want you to know how hard it can be. I've seen too many people go from musicians to permanent singer/song-waiters.

As far as apartments go, check out two newspapers: The Nashville Rage and Nashville Scene. Check out Craigslist. Most importantly--drive the neighborhoods. That's where the best bargins are.

Check out the bulliten boards at the coffee shops (Fido, Bongo Java, etc.) and music stores for possible gigs. Good luck.
Thank you everyone for your insights and concerns. Allow me to say we are not going in to this blind. This has been seven years in the making and allot of doors slammed in our faces. What I do know she has a unique sound, original material, and a great voice and most importantly the Passion. All we need now is the luck. Maybe we'll run accross it, maybe not.

But what is life if you can not share your passion, or follow it for that matter? Hey, if she fails at it full time, she will teach and do local gigs on weekends. That's heaven as well. we'll see.

Check her out...www.cdbaby.com/alm

or if you want more of a country folksy flavor she wrote check out her song "Another Day Lost" on www.myspace.com/jiltedloversband

Thank you for your interest and geniune concern.

Last edited by DaveyM; 12-27-2007 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville