Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

If you are making $43k net, you could easily afford a thousand or a little over. TN has no state income tax, and NC does, so you'll get an effective raise equal to the NC income tax rate. The real concern is what other debt you have - that's what will make or break the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 04:59 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Berry Hill is a very good choice. You'd be close to downtown & the night life, and you'd have about a 15 minute drive to work.

Other than that, I would recommend the Edmonson Pike area. I wouldn't get very far our from work. . You'd just be pumping cash into your gas tank.

Maybe after you've been here for a year or so, you'll have a better feel for the area, and you can move forward from there.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:51 PM

367 posts, read 585,317 times
I second the Berry Hill recommendation. You will be convenient to all the social things your looking for with any easy commute to Brentwood.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:08 AM

8 posts, read 14,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you are making $43k net, you could easily afford a thousand or a little over. TN has no state income tax, and NC does, so you'll get an effective raise equal to the NC income tax rate. The real concern is what other debt you have - that's what will make or break the effort.
Debt-free- thank God. I'd be moving with some savings in the bank, but a lot of that will have to go towards a new car soon, I'm afraid. Over 200,000 miles on my old girl.

Yep, the income tax is a plus, but it seems they do their damnedest to make up for it with high rent and sales tax!

Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 AM

235 posts, read 287,751 times
The sales tax can be negated by driving up to Kentucky. I was in Brentwood a few weeks ago, and what killed me was paying 9% or whatever the exact amount was for food. When and if I move it would make more sense to drive over the border once a month to stock up on food. I drive a made in Chattanooga Passat, and can get close to 60 MPG hwy so distance isn't a real concern.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:55 AM

That's an option, but it can get old quick.

It's an hours drive up to Franklin KY and an hour back. 2 hours of drive time, plus gas, plus wear & tear on my car just isn't worth it.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:00 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
The sales tax can be negated by driving up to Kentucky. I was in Brentwood a few weeks ago, and what killed me was paying 9% or whatever the exact amount was for food. When and if I move it would make more sense to drive over the border once a month to stock up on food. I drive a made in Chattanooga Passat, and can get close to 60 MPG hwy so distance isn't a real concern.
you will spend more on gas driving to KY than you would save in sales tax in most cases driving from Brentwood.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
The sales tax on food is 5% plus the local tax rate, which in Brentwood is 2.25%. So you paid a max of 7.25% on whatever food you bought, unless it was prepared food, dietary supplements, candy, alcoholic beverages or tobacco, which are subject to the general state sales and use tax rate of 7% plus the applicable local sales and use tax rate.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:08 PM

235 posts, read 287,751 times
It would cost me less than $7 to drive to the super Walmart in Franklin KY from Brentwood and back again. I have plenty of free time, so once a month to come back with a car full of groceries to stock the pantry with. Border hopping is common here in Chicago because of high sales taxes on non food items. Those of us on the north side drive to Wisconsin, those on the south side go to Indiana.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:19 PM

I used to live in NW Indiana, and I remember the Illinois people that would drive over.

The big difference is South Chicago is just across the State line .. it wasn't that far to travel.

55 miles up to Franklin is ok is mind-numbing. I've got better things to do with my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville