Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 PM

473 posts, read 520,694 times

Advertisements

If you're young and single, I think that's a livable salary. Heck, I made less than that at one point in New York City and I survived.

What you really need to evaluate is whether this job presents growth opportunities. I wouldn't want to uproot my life for that kind of money unless I saw this position leading to bigger and better things (or I just really wanted to be in Nashville for whatever reason.)

In addition to Berry Hill, I know a number of people in their 20s and 30s who live in Nipper's Corner. It doesn't seem particularly hip to me, but maybe I'm missing something there (or maybe the relative lack of "hipness" is what keeps rents low -- sort of like Yorkville in Manhattan -- which in turn attracts young people). And it's definitely close to Maryland Farms once you learn how to avoid Old Hickory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post

In addition to Berry Hill, I know a number of people in their 20s and 30s who live in Nipper's Corner. It doesn't seem particularly hip to me, but maybe I'm missing something there (or maybe the relative lack of "hipness" is what keeps rents low -- sort of like Yorkville in Manhattan -- which in turn attracts young people). And it's definitely close to Maryland Farms once you learn how to avoid Old Hickory.
I'm 29 and have lived in this area most of my life. I've found that the Nipper's Corner area is popular with a lot of young people who are locals to Nashville and aren't willing to pay the prices that a lot of people new to town are. I don't think it is, or tries to be, "hip" but South Nashville can be a good location for a 20-something who's not focused on (or drawn to) a lot of the things that might be attractive to someone excited about moving here. People who are excited about a big move and looking to start in a new city are lured into certain areas, near certain pockets of entertainment/restaurants/nightlife etc (especially given all the positive publicity that Nashville is getting lately) while I think a lot of locals are sort of over that stuff for the most part. Generally those types already have life routines, social networks, etc, and are trying their best to generally live near what they'd like to, but still trying to avoid the escalating housing costs as much as possible. Same thing with Donelson and Hermitage IMO.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:13 AM

51 posts, read 135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
It would cost me less than $7 to drive to the super Walmart in Franklin KY from Brentwood and back again. I have plenty of free time, so once a month to come back with a car full of groceries to stock the pantry with. Border hopping is common here in Chicago because of high sales taxes on non food items. Those of us on the north side drive to Wisconsin, those on the south side go to Indiana.
I hop over to Indy too... gas and food from time to time.. I'm in Park Forest - a south burb of Chicago. So I agree to an extent..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville