Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 11,214 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both high school teachers. We are originally from IL, by way of Charlotte, NC! We are going to be starting a family of our own soon, and want our children to be a little closer to their grandparents and the rest of the family. We have visited the Nashville area a couple of times, and enjoy what it has to offer.
I am concerned that TN does not have an income tax, yet a higher sales tax. Does this effect anyone's daily routine? What is your take on this?
It seems as if Metro Nashville is a growing area. Are new schools being built? What does the outlook look like for employment? i.e. is there a lot of turnover in teaching jobs in Nashville? what about the surrounding counties?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhargitt View Post
My husband and I are both high school teachers. We are originally from IL, by way of Charlotte, NC! We are going to be starting a family of our own soon, and want our children to be a little closer to their grandparents and the rest of the family. We have visited the Nashville area a couple of times, and enjoy what it has to offer.
I am concerned that TN does not have an income tax, yet a higher sales tax. Does this effect anyone's daily routine? What is your take on this?
It seems as if Metro Nashville is a growing area. Are new schools being built? What does the outlook look like for employment? i.e. is there a lot of turnover in teaching jobs in Nashville? what about the surrounding counties?

Thanks for your help!
There seemed to be new teachers when my daughter was there. A new HS in Metro is openning in Aug-Cane Ridge HS. You should apply and see what's available.
The Higher sales tax does not affect us. With the no state income tax your paycheck will be higher, also no taxes on bank interest.
You can check Williamson and Wilson County also, growing areas.

Diane G

Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhargitt View Post
Are new schools being built?
Neighboring counties, such as Williamson and Rutherford, are building more new schoools, but still only have around half of the students that Davidson county does.

Quote:
What does the outlook look like for employment? i.e. is there a lot of turnover in teaching jobs in Nashville?
That would depend on the individual school. I know of one middle school that lost only about 5 teachers. However, I also know of another middle school that lost about 30.

If you have experience and want to work I doubt you'll have a problem finding a job. Some people never get hired in middle TN, but I that's more of a reflection of their motivation.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM

64 posts, read 246,122 times
Since you are just “starting” a family you have a ton of options in Nashville. You are a good 5-6 years from worrying about school districts and could really hone in on growth areas of Nashville where you might be able to make a fine investment and turn a profit before the children are of school age. I came here kicking and screaming when I was transferred here 15 years ago (from Winston Salem) and like most people I know, fell in love with the City. It really is a great quality of life all around. You can afford a house, room for the dog, kids, good restaurants, shopping, lots of young professionals, etc. I would say the teaching prospects are similar to what you had in Charlotte, and like Charlotte, Nashville is a growing community and teachers are in short supply. My opinion is you will never notice the sales tax and will greatly appreciate not having the state tax (hefty in NC) taken off your check each month. I believe there is still a flat sales tax deduction we can take on our Fed taxes in Tn as well. Property taxes for an average home should be in the 1500 to 2500 a year. Anyway, I am very Pro Nashville; feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if I can be of any assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: