Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,796 times

Advertisements

Right now, the cost for an infant in Nashville is $280 per week at the daycare I use. My two-year old's tuition is $250 per week. The center is open from 7am-6pm and it provides all meals and supplies, with the exception of diapers and baby formula. I've seen some centers that charge for cots and/or nap mats, and others that require you to bring in fresh bedding every week. I use a local nanny service for my 2 & 5 year old, and I usually end up paying about $15/hour. I have someone that picks up my daughter from school every day and drives her to my office (about 2.5 miles) for $20/day.

The waiting lists for infant child care are insane - in order to have a guaranteed spot at 6 weeks old you need to get on the waiting list about 12-18 months before you plan to have the baby. There is normally a non-refundable fee of about $75+ to get added to the waiting list; I have seen places that charged 3 or 4 times that amount.

There are a couple of drop in centers that charge $8/hr for up to 6 hours, but you have to send snacks and/or lunch or purchase food from them (which really drives up the cost). I use sites like sittercity.com and care.com and I have had good results from both. It's a good forum for last minute childcare needs like snow days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:15 AM

104 posts, read 190,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAmommy View Post
Right now, the cost for an infant in Nashville is $280 per week at the daycare I use. My two-year old's tuition is $250 per week. The center is open from 7am-6pm and it provides all meals and supplies, with the exception of diapers and baby formula. I've seen some centers that charge for cots and/or nap mats, and others that require you to bring in fresh bedding every week. I use a local nanny service for my 2 & 5 year old, and I usually end up paying about $15/hour. I have someone that picks up my daughter from school every day and drives her to my office (about 2.5 miles) for $20/day.

The waiting lists for infant child care are insane - in order to have a guaranteed spot at 6 weeks old you need to get on the waiting list about 12-18 months before you plan to have the baby. There is normally a non-refundable fee of about $75+ to get added to the waiting list; I have seen places that charged 3 or 4 times that amount.

There are a couple of drop in centers that charge $8/hr for up to 6 hours, but you have to send snacks and/or lunch or purchase food from them (which really drives up the cost). I use sites like sittercity.com and care.com and I have had good results from both. It's a good forum for last minute childcare needs like snow days.

Wow, that's more than we currently pay in the DC Metro area...I'm definitely surprised about this as we were expecting the costs to go down. It sounds like there is more demand than supply for childcare services in the Nashville area!

With this being the case we may have to look into my wife taking a few years of work off instead of paying a fortune in childcare costs.

Thanks for the information!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,521 times
We pay a total of $418 per week for an infant and a toddler. We toured about 3 childcare facilities and found this to be the average. It includes meals. We supply diapers and formula for the infant.

I don't think you will find lower than that (unless you trust in home daycares). You can definitely find higher.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:23 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenewcomb9 View Post
I find it impossible to believe there aren't any parents on here who put their children in Preschools or Daycares! Obviously people do, just no one is answering Ksmart. Weird. Even if you don't have an infant, whatever you pay for an older child won't be THAT far off. Infants are always the most expensive, but it's usually (in virginia) about it 200 more a month for an infant vs. 4yr old.

No one has any direct information?
Are you sure that isn't $200./per WEEK? If it isn't take that slot and keep it as long as humanly possible, as I know of NO childcare, esp for infants, that cheap. (I'm in NC).

Old 03-05-2015, 09:30 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSMEMRSJ View Post
When we moved here we had my 3 year old in a daycare that was recommended by a coworker in cool springs but they were glorified babysitters, no structure and lots of turnover it still cost about $815 per month. We quickly moved him to a great daycare that has a very structured day its $975 a month.
That is more like the rates here in NC...at least for most. I am just curious if she mentioned what the 'fee' was for 'late pick-ups' at the daycare? They pretty much ALL have those, but I only know from 1995-ish when mine was a toddler. It was $10./per MINUTE late...and had to be paid PRIOR to taking the child back the next day! Don't think it deterred many but it did ME...as I was in college paying for that, too.
Good childcare is expensive, but for me, whatever the price, it was well worth knowing my child wasn't being molested or tortured while I was in classes. I didn't even care that he was being taught colors, ABCs, manners, social skills. My childcare did have teachers assist. and some structure...but many days they just watched movies...and that is mostly what the kids do at home.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 AM

24 posts, read 53,070 times
The school is open 7am to 6pm, we have maybe been 15 minutes late twice since my sons been there and there was no charge or issue. I'm sure if you are consistently late there would be some penalty or charge.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,762 times
Our 4 year old son goes to a Montessori school in Brentwood. We pay $1100 a month for that but that does not include meals or snacks. That does include their aftercare program. We can drop off as early as 7 and pick up as late as 6.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM

18 posts, read 29,394 times
We pay $180 per week in Nolensville for an almost 3 yo. Our facility does not have infant room, but the other one in town takes around $220/ wk for that group age, if I remember correctly...

Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 PM

114 posts, read 140,813 times
Not sure how helpful, but throwing it out there... I pay $235 for a two day a week MDO for a toddler. Next year will be three days a week and $345. Live in Nashville and my child goes to a MDO in Brentwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville