Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2021, 08:46 AM

10,092 posts, read 14,487,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHofKS View Post
There are two developments planned for the section of SoBro near the river that will build six towers on two adjacent blocks;

The 2nd and Peabody;

And the recently revised Centrum project with three buildings of 39, 32 and 29 stories

There are also prospects for a new tallest (if built before the YMCA property development) on the next block to the north on KVB. SoBro is growing fast.
These are all such exciting developments.

SoBro is the definite hotspot for skyscrapers in Nashville. I think that entire neighborhood--extending into Rutledge Hill--will be comprised of skyscrapers and dense infill development by the early 2030s.

At this rate, its only a matter of time before a developer finesses a skyscraper to hit 1000 ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 09:00 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,494,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
These are all such exciting developments.

SoBro is the definite hotspot for skyscrapers in Nashville. I think that entire neighborhood--extending into Rutledge Hill--will be comprised of skyscrapers and dense infill development by the early 2030s.

At this rate, its only a matter of time before a developer finesses a skyscraper to hit 1000 ft.
The current FAA cap is 750' due to proximity to the airport

Old 10-20-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
The current FAA cap is 750' due to proximity to the airport
Is that confirmed for the entire downtown and midtown region?

Old 10-23-2021, 09:12 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,334,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Is that confirmed for the entire downtown and midtown region?
There used to be a law where nothing could be taller than the state capitol. fortunately the building is on a hill so some older structures could be taller. Not sure since the AT&T Batman building if this still applies.

There is 1 runway #31/13 that runs NW in the BNA property. Not sure how often flight patterns go over downtown Nashville. this may affect the downtown region. Most of the time flights head NE to/from Donelson.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:41 PM

65 posts, read 142,485 times
Weird how BNA deal is brought up so often with the airport.

Isn’t Hartsfield-Jackson just as close to downtown Atlanta? I guess though now that I think about it, I don’t recall ever seeing planes fly over downtown ATL, while I can personally recall flying over downtown Nashville in the past on approach to BNA.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:58 AM

914 posts, read 1,986,253 times
BNA’s longest runway (31/13) has to be used for widebodies taking off with a full fuel load. For example, the 787 used to get to London or the 767s or 747s used for cargo will take off of 31 and head directly over five points area. If they are heading west there isn’t enough clearance.

The fix is supposed to be lengthening 2L/20R which would allow them to avoid using 31. That being said, it would still be a cross wind runway, so I’m still not sure if it would be allowed to go through.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick92170 View Post
Weird how BNA deal is brought up so often with the airport.

Isn’t Hartsfield-Jackson just as close to downtown Atlanta? I guess though now that I think about it, I don’t recall ever seeing planes fly over downtown ATL, while I can personally recall flying over downtown Nashville in the past on approach to BNA.
Yeah, this is why I ask. Several cities have airports reasonably close to their downtowns, yet have skyscrapers in the 800-1200 ft range.

Look at these downtowns below and the airport distances, with Nashville used as a reference:

Nashville downtown to airport: 8.6 miles
Miami downtown to airport: 9.2 miles
Philly downtown to airport: 10 miles
Austin downtown to airport: 9.7 miles
San Fran dowtown to airport: 12.2 miles
Seattle downtown to airport: ~13 miles
Phoenix downtown to airport: 3.7 miles
Boston downtown to airport: 2.5 miles
Manhattan downtown to LGA airport: 11 miles
Charlotte downtown to airport: 6.2 miles
Houston downtown to airport: ~10 miles

Does it have to do with direction of the runways--whether or not they point towards downtown for planes taking off? If that is the case, I'd say that was poor planning from the start. LOL

Old 10-26-2021, 08:05 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,334,646 times
Does it have to do with direction of the runways--whether or not they point towards downtown for planes taking off? If that is the case, I'd say that was poor planning from the start. LOL[/quote]

May have a lot to do with the flight pattern from the airport. In Washington DC recall having the runway go up/down Potomac. You have other restrictions to not fly over the monuments. Most desirable is to fly over water so no structures & no homes in the way.

Another point here is residential areas where you get complaints for noise. If you look at Midway in Chicago add in the times in the past a plane fell short & into houses. Over the years spend a lot of money removing structures adjacent to the runways. In modern times want the planes to fall into cornfields.

For BNA fortunate to have I-40 along the north border to keep planes at an altitude. I can't think of any nearby residential areas.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:41 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,728,603 times
Part 3 just dropped recently. Watch Part 1 (2016), Part 2 (2017) and Part 3 (2021) and you can really see the changes.

Welcome to Nashville, Pt. 1 | Austin and Colin - YouTube

Welcome to Nashville, Pt. 2 | Austin and Colin - YouTube

Welcome To Nashville, Pt. 3 | Austin and Colin - YouTube

Old 10-27-2021, 12:55 PM

592 posts, read 594,139 times
Texas developer proposes 2.5 billion dollar project for the North Nashville Trinity Lane area:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...5ff81e510.html

More details on Nashville Now Next:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2021/10...-trinity-lane/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville