Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 09:41 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Those numbers are unreal. With over 13,000 residential units either under construction or proposed--and there's no reason to believe most won't be built--it's going to be fun to see what kind of retail will follow. I think it's no secret that there will be at least one urban Publix and maybe another Whole Foods, but I'd love to see an urban Target in there, too, similar to the one in Atlanta's Midtown.
The same developers that developed Buckhead Atlanta and the River Oaks District in Houston are partnering with Spectrum/Emery to redevelop the old convention center. Expect similar retailers to show up in Nashville.

Unique Workplace, Unique Firm | OliverMcMillan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 06:55 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Lyft is moving its customer service operations from San Francisco to a new customer service headquarters on 2nd Avenue in downtown Nashville. They plan on hiring 100 at the new HQ before the end of the year and hope to have 400 working there soon. Tennessee's favorable ride-sharing regulations plus the much lower cost of doing business here and our growing talent pool helped Lyft choose Nashville.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ice-hq-to.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 AM

3,041 posts, read 3,308,574 times
Quote:
Lyft is moving its customer service operations from San Francisco to a new customer service headquarters on 2nd Avenue in downtown Nashville. They plan on hiring 100 at the new HQ before the end of the year and hope to have 400 working there soon. Tennessee's favorable ride-sharing regulations plus the much lower cost of doing business here and our growing talent pool helped Lyft choose Nashville.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ice-hq-to.html
Notice a big part of this is to allow Lyft & Uber to offer service to the airport. In other cities this makes the cabbies very upset. Chicago O'Hare & Midway had big cabbie strike over this issue.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:51 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,580 times
I'm considering driving for one or the other here for a little bit to try and get the hang of it and then do it when I go back to California for awhile. Only thing is it seems too easy to be true. I mean as a passenger everything works smoothly but as a driver I can't help but wonder if there's some negatives to this. Part of me does wonder if you can make respectable money if you're out doing this stuff 5 or 6 hours a day/night for like 4 or 5 days a week.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:33 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,896 times
My friend did all last summer to save up wedding money and he really liked it and had a lot of fuN. And you can make decent money especially when there are a lot of festivals or conventions.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:54 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,896 times
Urban+revitalization+expands+into+North+Nashville+Urban revitalization expands into North Nashville. “Everyone talks about how hot Buena Vista is. It’s up and coming.”

Urban revitalization expands into North Nashville

Old 09-28-2015, 01:04 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm considering driving for one or the other here for a little bit to try and get the hang of it and then do it when I go back to California for awhile. Only thing is it seems too easy to be true. I mean as a passenger everything works smoothly but as a driver I can't help but wonder if there's some negatives to this. Part of me does wonder if you can make respectable money if you're out doing this stuff 5 or 6 hours a day/night for like 4 or 5 days a week.
We used Uber this weekend in Hendersonville/Gallatin. I talked to the driver and he said in the suburbs (Hermitage, MtJ, Lebanon, Hendersonville, Gallatin, Madison) that he services it is just okay. His complaint was also the reason he targets those areas: they are underserved by Uber drivers. He said Uber users are used to short wait times for drivers. There are not many Uber drivers in this area. So, people "often" cancel their rides after he is en route because the wait might be 15-20 minutes. Which is frustrating to him because he has a large geography to cover...but in some ways is good because for whatever reason there just aren't many Uber drivers in those areas so the ones that do stick out the wait time he is able to cater to.

To add a second layer to that story, we waited 15 mins for him to come pick us up to take us to the Gallatin square. We were not able to get an Uber home from Gallatin square in spite of trying for about 20 mins between 9:30-9:50. Thankfully we had some friends nearby who gave us a ride home. All that to say, I would probably advise not using Uber in Sumner County until there are more drivers around.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:22 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Memphis-based Hunter Fan Company is opening a new division for industrial fans, and it's basing it in Nashville in a 30,000 square foot facility near the airport. The new company hopes to have 25 employees within the first year and 100 within three years. As to why the company expanded into Nashville rather than expanding in its Memphis home, company executives feel it will be easier to recruit and retain skilled workers in Nashville.

"It's a central location and it's a booming town," said Jeff Bredeson, senior vice president at Hunter. "It can be more difficult in Memphis to draw talent, whereas Nashville has tons of folks and is an attractive, cosmopolitan area.

"As we grow, we'll need more R&D engineers and more industrial designers. We'll need creative people in sales and marketing. Those folks are pretty widely available here, as compared to Memphis," Bredeson added. "If you're churning through those folks every six or 12 months, that gets to be devastatingly expensive for the company."

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...or-growth.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-28-2015, 02:43 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,580 times
Quote:
Memphis-based Hunter Fan Company is opening a new division for industrial fans, and it's basing it in Nashville in a 30,000 square foot facility near the airport. The new company hopes to have 25 employees within the first year and 100 within three years. As to why the company expanded into Nashville rather than expanding in its Memphis home, company executives feel it will be easier to recruit and retain skilled workers in Nashville.

"It's a central location and it's a booming town," said Jeff Bredeson, senior vice president at Hunter. "It can be more difficult in Memphis to draw talent, whereas Nashville has tons of folks and is an attractive, cosmopolitan area.

"As we grow, we'll need more R&D engineers and more industrial designers. We'll need creative people in sales and marketing. Those folks are pretty widely available here, as compared to Memphis," Bredeson added. "If you're churning through those folks every six or 12 months, that gets to be devastatingly expensive for the company."

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...or-growth.html
Total Memphis burn.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:50 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Total Memphis burn.
Yeah, no kidding. Ouch. Does he not know that his comments will be read by folks in Memphis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville