Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2021, 04:03 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,439,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Soho House isn't a night club. Nashville has no nightclubs. It's something that boggles my mind. If I were entrepreneurial, I'd open a legit night club in Nashville and occupy my free time spending and investing my newfound wealth.
It's an exclusive club that has a wide array of perks for its members. It is a popular night-time destination to go out and "see the hottest and IN sort of people in many industries mingle."

So nightclub in the traditional sense, not really. It's a night life destination for those who belong to the club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 03:41 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Soho House isn't a night club. Nashville has no nightclubs. It's something that boggles my mind. If I were entrepreneurial, I'd open a legit night club in Nashville and occupy my free time spending and investing my newfound wealth.
Amen! I've been saying this for years now.

Would you believe that 2nd Avenue used to be lined with numerous non-country nightclubs about 15 years ago? 2nd Ave was where all the action was before downtown Nashville became a major party destination and before Lower Broadway started to become a huge tourist trap. 2nd used to be dominated by locals of all stripes too rather than drunken tourists. Nashvillians used to heavily cruise down 2nd in their cars lining the street on weekend nights. This building used to be a huge, multi-floor nightclub complex called Music City Mix Factory.

As country music tourism grew, 2nd Ave gradually changed from a variety of local-oriented clubs and bars to essentially a spillover from Lower Broadway with more honky tonks and country music artist museums. There were also a bunch of random nightclubs of all kinds scattered around the light industrial periphery of downtown including rave-like after hours where you could dance the night away to house music. They all got wiped out as the old warehouses made way for new highrises and apartment buildings. I believe Karma Lounge was the last notable nightclub downtown. It was the upper floors at 3rd & Broadway with an entrance where the door for Luigi's Pizza is currently.

There are still some nightclubs here and there around the city, but Nashville's club scene has yet to recover from the closure of the old downtown spots. Some of the Broadway bars have rooftop dance parties, but it just doesn't hit the same especially with the belligerent tourists. Nashville went too heavy-handed on the country music tourism around Lower Broadway. I love having a vibrant downtown, but I no longer find Lower Broadway to be very enjoyable or welcoming and, like you, crave much broader entertainment options downtown. As a native, it saddens me that downtown has become an area that I avoid outside of concerts or events. For Nashville to truly mature into a world-class destination and warrant its "Music City" moniker, it needs to continue to expand its music and entertainment offering downtown. Fifth + Broadway is a strong start. We can leave Lower Broadway as is, but let's get some of the less active cross streets lined venues other than generic honky tonks with cover bands and retail other than boots.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:26 PM

809 posts, read 469,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Amen! I've been saying this for years now.

Would you believe that 2nd Avenue used to be lined with numerous non-country nightclubs about 15 years ago? 2nd Ave was where all the action was before downtown Nashville became a major party destination and before Lower Broadway started to become a huge tourist trap. 2nd used to be dominated by locals of all stripes too rather than drunken tourists. Nashvillians used to heavily cruise down 2nd in their cars lining the street on weekend nights. This building used to be a huge, multi-floor nightclub complex called Music City Mix Factory.

As country music tourism grew, 2nd Ave gradually changed from a variety of local-oriented clubs and bars to essentially a spillover from Lower Broadway with more honky tonks and country music artist museums. There were also a bunch of random nightclubs of all kinds scattered around the light industrial periphery of downtown including rave-like after hours where you could dance the night away to house music. They all got wiped out as the old warehouses made way for new highrises and apartment buildings. I believe Karma Lounge was the last notable nightclub downtown. It was the upper floors at 3rd & Broadway with an entrance where the door for Luigi's Pizza is currently.

There are still some nightclubs here and there around the city, but Nashville's club scene has yet to recover from the closure of the old downtown spots. Some of the Broadway bars have rooftop dance parties, but it just doesn't hit the same especially with the belligerent tourists. Nashville went too heavy-handed on the country music tourism around Lower Broadway. I love having a vibrant downtown, but I no longer find Lower Broadway to be very enjoyable or welcoming and, like you, crave much broader entertainment options downtown. As a native, it saddens me that downtown has become an area that I avoid outside of concerts or events. For Nashville to truly mature into a world-class destination and warrant its "Music City" moniker, it needs to continue to expand its music and entertainment offering downtown. Fifth + Broadway is a strong start. We can leave Lower Broadway as is, but let's get some of the less active cross streets lined venues other than generic honky tonks with cover bands and retail other than boots.
This is so true! As a born and raised too, it's sad to see the club scene go away once the rest of the country "discovered" Nashville. I grew up on lots of house music, rap, blues, and gospel. Nashville has always been an eclectic place. It used to be folks from country towns in the region would go to Nashville to be free and discover themselves and mix with the locals, which was pretty cool.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:22 PM

592 posts, read 591,411 times
Thought I'd chime in as another native. The club scene started to fade right around the time of the construction of the Music City Center in 2013, just a few years after the massive flood that hit the city in 2010.

As stated there used to be many non country clubs downtown on 2nd Ave and Broadway. Graham Central Station, Club Dream, Hurricanes, Club 701, Sky Lounge, Rhythm Kitchen, and that's just off the top of my head. Not to mention in Antioch, you had Club Prizm, The Outer Limits, Silverados etc. These clubs played all types of music, mainly hip hop, top 40, house etc. Right around the construction of the center I believe the removal of a lot of the clubs was to make downtown more 'family friendly' in order to bring in the tourist dollars. Mostly everything now is roof top bars and lounges. There's still spots like the WKND and Kung Fu Saloon but they cater mainly to the younger crowd.

Last edited by jkc2j; 12-10-2021 at 06:46 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 05:15 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
That Is what I thought.

As far as diversity in DT goes, I saw an Apple store at 5th and Broadway last time I was there.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Nashville boasts highest percentage increase in six-figure jobs, report finds

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...ate=2021-12-27

As the pandemic continues to accelerate wage growth for many workers, a new study is shedding light on just how prevalent six-figure job growth has been over the past five years in cities across the country.

According to the study published by Stessa, the Nashville region had a 270.9% increase in six-figure jobs from 2015 to 2020 — the largest percentage increase among the country's large metros.

The area was ranked No. 1 in a list of large metros with the most growth in high-paying jobs over the last half decade.

Fifty-three thousand eight hundred twenty workers — or 5.6% of the metro area's workforce — brought in six-figure salaries in 2020. That's slightly under the national 7.9% of workers making $100,000 or more.

In 2015, only 14,510 workers in Greater Nashville boasted those salaries.

STUDY: https://www.stessa.com/blog/cities-w...ng-job-growth/

Old 12-27-2021, 05:05 PM

256 posts, read 482,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Nashville boasts highest percentage increase in six-figure jobs, report finds

According to the study published by Stessa, the Nashville region had a 270.9% increase in six-figure jobs from 2015 to 2020 — the largest percentage increase among the country's large metros.

The area was ranked No. 1 in a list of large metros with the most growth in high-paying jobs over the last half decade.

Fifty-three thousand eight hundred twenty workers — or 5.6% of the metro area's workforce — brought in six-figure salaries in 2020. That's slightly under the national 7.9% of workers making $100,000 or more.

In 2015, only 14,510 workers in Greater Nashville boasted those salaries.
And Middle TN Real Estate values echo the increase and transplant figures as well.

Good news on one hand, but the charm of many small towns are quickly evaporating within commuting distance to Nashville.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:07 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitymike View Post
And Middle TN Real Estate values echo the increase and transplant figures as well.

Good news on one hand, but the charm of many small towns are quickly evaporating within commuting distance to Nashville.
Very interesting what is going on in Nashville with the salary growth. To go from 14k six figure jobs to 53k in just five years is beyond insane.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:57 PM

256 posts, read 482,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Very interesting what is going on in Nashville with the salary growth. To go from 14k six figure jobs to 53k in just five years is beyond insane.
Amazon's supposed to bring in something like 5000 jobs for their logistics/operations hub (office) in the Gulch, with salary averages in the $130k+ range (not counting their massive warehousing operations throughout middle-TN). Then you have Oracle bringing in up to 8.5k jobs by 2031, (initially starting out with 2,500 jobs by 2027). Oracle's average salary will be $110k.

These two employers alone will grow that 53K jobs number by 24%. In addition, Oracle recently bought a major electronic medical records company (Cerner), and since Nashville is considered the HealthCare operations capital of the country, it will be interesting to see if Oracle adds EMR developers to their River North development project.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:25 AM

592 posts, read 591,411 times
According to the Nashville Chamber of Commerce, Nashville’s MSA population growth expected to accelerate adding an additional 200,000 people in just five years. That's accounts to roughly 40,000 per year.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...rk/6568429001/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville