Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:39 PM

65 posts, read 197,611 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, real musicians will be priced out of Nashville soon enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:00 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.rn.chandler View Post
I don't think Nashville has yet to embrace rock. Not real rock. Crossover rock, yes.
It is definitely happening now. Three of the biggest rock bands in the world all live here and record here. The Black Keys, Kings of Leon, and Jack White are all here. None is bigger for Nashville than Jack White because he also runs Third Man Records which has attracted several smaller bands to live here like the Raconteurs and Alison Mosshart of The Kills. That also doesn't count the numerous bands that don't live here but travel here to record at Third Man. Paramore also calls Nashville home, and everyone knows that Ben Folds call Nashville and Music Row home.

Quote:
I never lived in Austin or NYC, been there which doesn't account for much. I did live in LA for a long time and I don't necessarily find it to be 'better' or 'worse' than Nashville, but different. The vast majority of LA is built (or was as so many seem to be moving away... some here) on both music and film. That's the only reason LA even exists in some senses. And all of my music biz friends who are on the west coast will vehemently argue that LA is THE place to be for music. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.

For songwriters, Nashville is tops. For performers and players, Nashville is not tops.
LA is definitely bigger than Nashville in terms of pop music, but Nashville isn't a slouch there. Taylor Swift (since she now seems to identify with pop more than country), Meghan Trainor (All About that Bass), and Ke$ha are all pop acts from Nashville.

There's a good article from Richard Florida about Nashville in The Atlantic from 2011 that shows how Nashville absolutely dwarfs every other city in North America in terms of the concentration of the music business. There is no doubt that in terms of the per capita impact on the music industry/music culture, Nashville is the runaway leader. The Changing Geography of Pop Music - The Atlantic

As for Nashville not being tops for performers, where is better? Maybe LA or NYC, but I can't imagine that it is any easier in LA or NYC to break into the big time than it is in Nashville. A lot is made about the cost of living in Nashville, but it is still a far cry from LA and even further from NYC.

Quote:
Our city government does do a good job of working with local businesses to keep up good things here. No doubt. But where was our fair city when we wanted to tear down RCA Studios (arguably the 2nd or 3rd most historic music related building in the city)? And what did they want to tear them down for? Condos.
You do know that RCA Studio A has been saved, right? The city is really limited legally from doing anything "official" to save these types of properties without the owner's consent, but there is absolutely some behind the scenes political pressure that the city can apply.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:19 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think365 View Post
Don't worry, real musicians will be priced out of Nashville soon enough...
So by this logic, New York, LA, Austin, Chicago, etc, etc don't have real musicians?

Old 12-06-2014, 06:47 AM

69 posts, read 87,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
"Even more music biz folks live in Malibu and fly here when they need to sign something."

Can't they just fax it???

hahahaha!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Check out the list of Grammy nominees that call Nashville home.

While I am sure it is quite comprehensive, the Grammy's don't mean anything to me about music. The Grammy's are a dog and pony show. All due respect.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
So by this logic, New York, LA, Austin, Chicago, etc, etc don't have real musicians?

No, all those cities have 'real' musicians.

Every major metro that is in anyway revolving around the arts is slightly over priced. And in my experience, with the exception of the old session guys and the guys that fill in on big tours, the vast majority of regular musicians (famous or not) struggle to live in their respective metros because they just don't make enough to get by.

Even some of the paper pusher folks in the music business don't make enough to continue doing what they do in some of these metros.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
It is definitely happening now. Three of the biggest rock bands in the world all live here and record here. The Black Keys, Kings of Leon, and Jack White are all here. None is bigger for Nashville than Jack White because he also runs Third Man Records which has attracted several smaller bands to live here like the Raconteurs and Alison Mosshart of The Kills. That also doesn't count the numerous bands that don't live here but travel here to record at Third Man. Paramore also calls Nashville home, and everyone knows that Ben Folds call Nashville and Music Row home.

LA is definitely bigger than Nashville in terms of pop music, but Nashville isn't a slouch there. Taylor Swift (since she now seems to identify with pop more than country), Meghan Trainor (All About that Bass), and Ke$ha are all pop acts from Nashville.

There's a good article from Richard Florida about Nashville in The Atlantic from 2011 that shows how Nashville absolutely dwarfs every other city in North America in terms of the concentration of the music business. There is no doubt that in terms of the per capita impact on the music industry/music culture, Nashville is the runaway leader. The Changing Geography of Pop Music - The Atlantic

As for Nashville not being tops for performers, where is better? Maybe LA or NYC, but I can't imagine that it is any easier in LA or NYC to break into the big time than it is in Nashville. A lot is made about the cost of living in Nashville, but it is still a far cry from LA and even further from NYC.

You do know that RCA Studio A has been saved, right? The city is really limited legally from doing anything "official" to save these types of properties without the owner's consent, but there is absolutely some behind the scenes political pressure that the city can apply.

Yes, I am aware RCA was saved by a beneficent donor, not the city. I don't know they specifics, but wasn't it saved on the last possible day to be saved? If that studio had gone down, Mr. Folds would've gone elsewhere as 95% of his operation now is out of that studio.

You have a good point about big rock bands; I had almost totally forgotten about those bands (who all made their money and fame prior to setting up shop here) But to be fair, all the bands Jack White 'attracts' are the ones he forms, the ones he plays with. It's not like bands are coming here because Jack did, Jack brings people he likes here so he doesn't have to go far to jam. Can't say as I blame him. I'm lame, I know, but I can't even tell the Black Keys and The White Stripes apart. The White Keys and The Black Stripes.

I have no idea if there is any truth to this, maybe some of you would know: a good friend of mine from Muscle Shoals had told me some years ago that Jack wanted to take his base of operations there, however, something about the $ and the city and he couldn't get what he wanted in the way that he wanted it and so on.... Nashville, however, ponied up and said "C'mon!". Could've been really different.

This underscores my point about Music Business City vs. Music City: There's a good article from Richard Florida about Nashville in The Atlantic from 2011 that shows how Nashville absolutely dwarfs every other city in North America in terms of the concentration of the music business.

I don't think LA or NYC is better or worse. Said that already. I really can't speak for NYC but any music city is gonna be a bit clicky. I personally found LA to be a tad easier to break into only because there are so many people and not everyone can keep up with everyone. For better or worse, LA has no regard for history or loyalty: if you're better or richer or whatever, let's go. Nashville, for better or worse, sort of is an old system. Those folks honor family lineage and what not. Thus, it's hard to break into because, in a way, you really do HAVE to know someone... or someone HAS to know you. In LA you could be the biggest thing since Jesus and do it all on a whim.

I remember moving here and giving out my resume to studios (most of the work I did while I lived in LA was in studios on one side of the glass or another). I would go around thinking nothing of anything handing people this pretty solid studio resume of artists I had worked with and for (some pretty darn well known names on there too) and people looking at me cross-eyed because I knew no one here, had no family here, had no roots here, never traveled here... on and on.... I'd get a lot of "Man, that's something. Real impressive stuff kid." And then nothing. haha. When I went to LA without knowing anyone, no roots and on and on: I ate sushi with a guy on my 2nd day there which ended up leading me to do studio work for a few folks and about a year later, I was drinking and partying with this fellow who ended up giving me a job a studio. Total whim.

COL in Nashville in some areas is definitely consistent with LA and NYC now. Easily. Sure, Franklin isn't Malibu and midtown ain't Hollywood (and thank god for it). But when you can get a 450 sq ft apartment in Hollywood for something like $850-1000 and on 8th South you can that same 450 sq ft apartment (albeit newer, cleaner) for $850-1000.... It's about the same.

I live in the heart of downtown and I pay $1200. A place this size in LA in a similar style and location would be roughly the equivalent price. Maybe only $100 or 2 more.

Last edited by k.rn.chandler; 12-06-2014 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-06-2014, 08:27 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
No, all those cities have 'real' musicians.

Every major metro that is in anyway revolving around the arts is slightly over priced. And in my experience, with the exception of the old session guys and the guys that fill in on big tours, the vast majority of regular musicians (famous or not) struggle to live in their respective metros because they just don't make enough to get by.

Even some of the paper pusher folks in the music business don't make enough to continue doing what they do in some of these metros.
That's kind of what I was getting at.

Ah, the life of a starving artist...

Old 12-09-2014, 04:35 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
Quote:
You have a good point about big rock bands; I had almost totally forgotten about those bands (who all made their money and fame prior to setting up shop here) But to be fair, all the bands Jack White 'attracts' are the ones he forms, the ones he plays with.
He (presumably) mentioned Paramore and Kings of Leon, both of which are primarily from Nashville. The Paramore guys, and girl, went to Franklin High School. KOL sort of traveled around before they got their start, but they were in the Nashville area growing up, and Caleb (singer/guitar) has said in a documentary that the guys returned to Nashville from Oklahoma for the sole purpose of starting a band with his brothers and cousin, rather than join the military. I actually went to high school with Jared in Mt. Juliet for a little while until the band really took off and he dropped out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville