Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 09:23 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,082,341 times

Advertisements

As 850 was basically saying, relocation is heavily predicated on financial reasons. I don't see the team having those issues dire enough anytime soon to consider relocation. Stadium issues are usually the biggest roadblock to keeping a team in a city. LP Field and Nashville are probably fine in that regard for the foreseeable future, but when you see all these incredible new stadiums popping up across the NFL, you can see ours slowly becoming more and more behind the times as the years go by. It's going to be an inevitable issue down the road. I'm a Chargers fan, and our fanbase keeps hanging on year by year without voting for approval to build a new stadium, as ours is a complete dump. Granted it's 30 years older than LP Field but still. San Diego has been trying to get a new stadium for the better part of 20 years to no avail, and without a public vote of approval for generating money for a new stadium, the Chargers will be headed somewhere, very possibly Los Angeles. They can't play in a toilet of a stadium forever.

I bring it up because I don't think there's any immediate need to be concerned about the Titans moving, it's just going to be an issue over time to build a new stadium or make significant renovations as they're needed. That's the issue to look out for. With a viable stadium, I think Nashville will have the Titans for a long long time.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:00 PM

1,683 posts, read 810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I remember watching McNair as a teenager and early adult, and while the Titans weren't ever a truly awesome team, they were always in the mix, respectable, and made the Superbowl once.

The past six years have just been awful. They've beaten the Colts once since 2009. I live in Indy now and am from Kingsport. Mother got a Titans polo for me for Christmas. It's a very nice shirt...but was half off, and I'm guessing it's because the team is so bad. No one seems to care. I watched the Titans play the Jags the weak before last. The Jags had heart and wanted to win. Titans couldn't care less.

The whole organization needs a change starting with ownership, to the front office, to the coaches, down to the roster. This is the most heartless sports team I've ever seen.
When the team had McNair, George, Wychek, Mathews, Mason, etc. they played with a sense of purpose and a sense of pride. The current team has no identity. They won a game at KC who played awful, heard all week how great they are for winning at KC who played awful and proceeded to pretty much stink it up for the most of the the rest of the season. And now Tampa is going to get the Heisman trophy winner on a technicality leaving the Titans to pick a lineman (which they obviously will also need but won't create any interest or excitement surrounding the team). They needed something to rally around (like a Heisman trophy winner not named Manziel) and will now continue to be a program without an identity.

Last edited by BeeHoyal; 12-29-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 07:21 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,299,311 times
I keep thinking we went thru this with the Predators. Could have lost the team a couple of times. You never know what a new owner with deep pockets may do. Took a couple of bad seasons with high draft choice to get some very good players & a new coach too. Give this bunch a couple of years to get the Titans fixed.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:06 PM

1,683 posts, read 810,079 times
Whisenhut's last winning season as a coach was 2009. You really think this franchise is going to make progress with him as coach? His last four seasons: 2-14/5-11/8-8/5-11. His record as a head coach in the NFL is 47-65.

In three years of Ruston Webster as General Manager the titans are 15-33. Eleven years since the last playoff win. Three winning seasons during that eleven year span. People need to stop going until they can turn it around. If people continue buying tickets while the product is inferior, they will get lots more of the same.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:47 AM

Default The Future of LP Field

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a Titans fan so I'm trying to be objective about this. I don't root against them, I just have another favorite team. It's not a rant against the team.

It seems to me as the years go by and different NFL cities start building/upgrading stadiums that LP Field is becoming bland, dull, older and just very....average. It doesn't look very appealing to me. I overlook the stadium at work every day and have to park in one of its parking lots every day and this is something I just can't ignore. Visually it's just....different shades of concrete. It seems like it's becoming outdated and needs to be better taken care of. The logos on the back of the scoreboard facing the parking lots are extremely old and faded (the 1999 AFC Champions and TSU Tigers ones, even though TSU doesn't even play there anymore). There's signs on fences with warnings or phone numbers on them that look like they haven't been touched since 1999, with some writing so faded you can't read it. It's just a bummer. It seems like there's no commitment to the details and upkeep of the place. That's not even taking into account the ever-worsening experience inside the stadium on game days.

The reason I bring this up is that in this day and age, it's inevitable that the Titans will, at some point in the not so distant future, either need to bring LP Field more up-to-par or the talk of building a new stadium somewhere will start. Look at Atlanta, the Georgia Dome opened in 1992 and they're already building a new one. The Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis opened in 1995 and the Rams are essentially gone to Los Angeles, despite the city's efforts to build a brand new stadium for the team. The Redskins play in a stadium that opened in 1997 and they're already trying to build a new one.

I feel that LP Field is quickly becoming a desolate and outdated place to watch a game. Sure, if the team wins there will be more buzz surrounding them and these things may not be that big of a deal but where sports fans are right now, I feel like the stadium experience has to be worth leaving your couch or the bar for, and the number that feel that a game at LP is, are becoming less and less. I think that a state-of-the-art gameday experience is becoming more and more of a necessity for teams around the league that aren't in cities deep-rooted with NFL tradition and I don't think LP Field offers anything close to that, and it doesn't look to be improving anytime soon. I don't want Nashville to become a city with stadium issues like many others are.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,321,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a Titans fan so I'm trying to be objective about this. I don't root against them, I just have another favorite team. It's not a rant against the team.
Understood, and I'll try to keep that in mind with my responses.

As a quick side question, as a native that is about my age, what is your favorite team and why did you not adopt the Titans?

I ask out of curiosity. I'm not going to criticize your fan allegiance (unless, of course, you're a ****tsburgh fan -- then we have issues).

Quote:
It seems to me as the years go by and different NFL cities start building/upgrading stadiums that LP Field is becoming bland, dull, older and just very....average. It doesn't look very appealing to me. I overlook the stadium at work every day and have to park in one of its parking lots every day and this is something I just can't ignore. Visually it's just....different shades of concrete. It seems like it's becoming outdated and needs to be better taken care of. The logos on the back of the scoreboard facing the parking lots are extremely old and faded (the 1999 AFC Champions and TSU Tigers ones, even though TSU doesn't even play there anymore). There's signs on fences with warnings or phone numbers on them that look like they haven't been touched since 1999, with some writing so faded you can't read it. It's just a bummer. It seems like there's no commitment to the details and upkeep of the place. That's not even taking into account the ever-worsening experience inside the stadium on game days.
I'll be honest -- from day one, I was not blown away by the design. There really aren't any unique aspects to the stadium (aside from the terrible LP concessions areas behind the end zones -- at least Tampa Bay has a cool pirate ship).

I think perhaps some of your perception of the stadium's dated aspects does have to do with your familiarity -- parking in the lot, and seeing the building every day. When I went to Meigs, I rode the bus past the same buildings every day. You do that for a few years and you start to notice things in ridiculous detail. The little quirks and things can really start to annoy you.

I'm not saying that you are not correct with your observations -- but pointing out that you are no longer a casual observer. A first time visitor to the stadium isn't likely to notice many of those aspects (or understand them -- such as the TSU logo)...and those aspects will be even less noticeable to the TV audience (which seems to be the primary concern in this day and age).

All that said, I think it would be prudent for the city to invest a modest amount of money in some cosmetic upgrades to remedy many of the things you mention.

Quote:
The reason I bring this up is that in this day and age, it's inevitable that the Titans will, at some point in the not so distant future, either need to bring LP Field more up-to-par or the talk of building a new stadium somewhere will start. Look at Atlanta, the Georgia Dome opened in 1992 and they're already building a new one. The Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis opened in 1995 and the Rams are essentially gone to Los Angeles, despite the city's efforts to build a brand new stadium for the team. The Redskins play in a stadium that opened in 1997 and they're already trying to build a new one.
My personal preference would be to invest in periodic cosmetic upgrades at a modest cost and extend the life of the stadium to at least 2028, which is when the Titans' lease expires. They've already finished some improvements with new scoreboards and elevators.

Honestly, the stadium is in an ideal spot -- so unless there is a fundamental change in stadium design (which there very well could be), then I see no reason to replace the stadium. In 10 years, I'd rather spend the equivalent to today's $400 million to upgrade the stadium rather than the $800 million-1.5 billion that seems to be the going rate for new stadium construction. Unless there is a critical deficiency in design, I see no reason to raze the stadium simply to appease the team.

Quote:
I feel that LP Field is quickly becoming a desolate and outdated place to watch a game. Sure, if the team wins there will be more buzz surrounding them and these things may not be that big of a deal but where sports fans are right now, I feel like the stadium experience has to be worth leaving your couch or the bar for, and the number that feel that a game at LP is, are becoming less and less. I think that a state-of-the-art gameday experience is becoming more and more of a necessity for teams around the league that aren't in cities deep-rooted with NFL tradition and I don't think LP Field offers anything close to that, and it doesn't look to be improving anytime soon. I don't want Nashville to become a city with stadium issues like many others are.
I'm not sure desolate is a term I would use. Outdated? Sure....but only compared to the newest of stadiums.

Here is the list of stadiums older than LP Field:

O.co Coliseum (Raiders - 1966)
Qualcomm Stadium (Chargers - 1967)*
Arrowhead Stadium (Chiefs - 1972)
Ralph Wilson Stadium (Bills - 1973)
Mercedes-Benz Superdome (Saints - 1975)
Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins - 1987)
-----------------5 years older----------------------------------
EverBank Field (Jaguars - 1995)*
Edward Jones Dome (Rams - 1995)*
Bank of America Stadium (Panthers - 1996)
M&T Bank Stadium (Ravens - 1998)
Raymond James Stadium (Bucs - 1998)
LP Field (Titans - 1999)
First Energy Stadium (Browns - 1999 - essentially the exact same age)
Paul Brown Stadium (Bengals - 2000)
Heinz Field (Stealers - 2001)
Sports Authority Field at Mile High (Broncos - 2001)
CenturyLink Field (Seahawks - 2002)
Gillette Stadium (Cheatriots - 2002)
NRG Stadium (Texans - 2002)
Ford Field (Lions - 2002)
Lincoln Financial Field (Eagles - 2003)

I stopped with stadiums 5 years newer.

14 stadiums were built within the 10 year window before or after LP Field. That's roughly half the NFL. 6 are from well before LP Field (not including Lambeau or Soldier Field, which have been extensively renovated).

I definitely think it would be wise to stay ahead of the renovations, and not make people think that the stadium is ever a "dump" or so outdated that it is beyond repair (of physical structure or reputation).

But some of this definitely should fall to the team's commitment. If the city is willing to commit money for stadium improvements, then the team should be willing to commit to a longer lease term.

Not to get off topic, but the Preds are willing to put their OWN money into some improvements to the arena. The arena generates far more non-sports income for the city than the stadium does (by virtue of being more versatile).

The question becomes are the Titans a partner or a tenant.

I also think, in the short term, our *IT CITY* status probably does protect us more than, say, being Jacksonville.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:41 AM

4,343 posts, read 4,715,404 times
The reason it's becoming desolate is because the team sucks! The stadium isn't that bad. No it's not new and shiny but it's fine. They really need to focus on the product on the field. Because why would anyone who has a team from other cities move here and want to support them?

What would be great is if there were good, easy public transportation that dropped off right at the stadium or the other side of the walking bridge.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:55 AM

3,035 posts, read 3,299,311 times
What would be great is if there were good, easy public transportation that dropped off right at the stadium or the other side of the walking bridge.[/quote]

The demise of the Amp gives an opoortunity to do something else.The final nail for the Amp was the routing from Broadway to Music City Central & the route east. Maybe they can do a game day route from Vandy past the convention center & to LP field.

The new Sounds stadium will need another new route from downtown. 5th streat could be used to get from the stadium back to the Ryman, Broadway, & the Arena.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:55 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,925,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
The reason it's becoming desolate is because the team sucks! The stadium isn't that bad. No it's not new and shiny but it's fine. They really need to focus on the product on the field. Because why would anyone who has a team from other cities move here and want to support them?

What would be great is if there were good, easy public transportation that dropped off right at the stadium or the other side of the walking bridge.
Agreed on all counts.

As for the public transportation thing, I know when the stadium first opened there were "party trains" that brought fans to the stadium, I mean the train stopped right there between the stadium and the river. I think it was the Music City Star. And I think the General Jackson even brought fans over from Opry Mills. Do they not do that anymore? I always thought that the train and boat were great ideas.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-02-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Understood, and I'll try to keep that in mind with my responses.

As a quick side question, as a native that is about my age, what is your favorite team and why did you not adopt the Titans?

I ask out of curiosity. I'm not going to criticize your fan allegiance (unless, of course, you're a ****tsburgh fan -- then we have issues).
I'll just cut off the quote here, but I agree with a lot of your points. You have to keep in mind that I'm talking about a scenario in, say, 5 years or so...not at this minute. I just feel that the stadium could start going downhill like I mentioned in the coming years if the place isn't kept up with. Sure, the performance on the field will drive interest and fan atmosphere, but that doesn't mean much long-term if the actual structure itself continues to grow older without the proper maintenance and upgrades/renovations that today's NFL (and future NFL) requires in a lot of markets.

As far as my favorite team, it's the Chargers. I never really caught onto the Titans a lot when they came here for whatever reason and when I moved to San Diego for the first time I became a Chargers and Padres fan. Speaking of the Chargers, they might be why this is on my mind, with us desperately trying to build a new stadium and not leave for LA. Granted Qualcomm Stadium is the textbook definition of a dump for an NFL venue (okay, I haven't been to Oakland but whatever), LP looks like the modern-day Qualcomm to me. It's a visually-unappealing hunk of concrete that hasn't seen a lot of additions through its years.

I've been to Seattle's stadium three times and it's light years ahead of LP Field IMO, despite only being 3 years newer. When the Titans went to Baltimore this season, the Nashville media couldn't stop raving about how great of a stadium experience they have....and their stadium is older. I just get the feeling ours is behind the times I guess. Maybe I'm off base, I don't know. I just feel like on those rare occasions that I do go inside LP Field it's just not that impressive by today's standards, which is a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville