Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 6,991 times

Advertisements

Alright, new to the forum, I am active duty Army stationed here at Ft. Campbell. I have lived here and been stationed here for about 4 years now, not going anywhere for the next few years and I'm considering buying a new home and/or having a new home built. My main question is in regards to, is it cheaper, or worth it to have a new home built because my understanding that these companies have a mass amount of lots already purchased and that allows the house to be built and customized cheaper, or it can be upgraded slightly for about the same price as just buying a new home for sale in the same area.

I didn't see a category for "Clarksville" specifically so I apologize in advance if I posted this thread in the wrong spot, so let me know if I messed that up. I know that there are some construction companies local here that offer and I would go to them and get some information, but I would really like to find someone who knows a lot about the process, maybe someone who has actually had a home built here in Clarksville and their experiences, what they would do differently, or just tips in general. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 05:50 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,219,155 times
It's been a while since I built new, but here are some general comments.

A while back, new build like you described was somewhat comparable to buying "used" as long as you kept the customizations and upgrades to a minimum. If you signed with a general contractor who handled the build and sold the house to you when finished, that is. If you served as your own general contractor and did some of the work yourself then you could build cheaper than buy.

Right now... I don't know what the market is like near Ft. Campbell/Clarksville. There may still be empty houses on the market from the housing bust a while back. Foreclosures and such are still happening. On the other hand, as you said some developers are willing to deal to get lots sold.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but I live farther south. Maybe you'll get more answers after the Holidays. Also, you might try posting in the Real Estate forum, or one of the more specialized sub-forums of Real Estate.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 6,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
It's been a while since I built new, but here are some general comments.

A while back, new build like you described was somewhat comparable to buying "used" as long as you kept the customizations and upgrades to a minimum. If you signed with a general contractor who handled the build and sold the house to you when finished, that is. If you served as your own general contractor and did some of the work yourself then you could build cheaper than buy.

Right now... I don't know what the market is like near Ft. Campbell/Clarksville. There may still be empty houses on the market from the housing bust a while back. Foreclosures and such are still happening. On the other hand, as you said some developers are willing to deal to get lots sold.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but I live farther south. Maybe you'll get more answers after the Holidays. Also, you might try posting in the Real Estate forum, or one of the more specialized sub-forums of Real Estate.
Thank you so much for the reply, yah I didn't know if I was posting in the correct spot or not. I know right now I'm in an area that I love, and there are houses being built everywhere, and there are a ton of lots that are getting prepared to be built, and there are also a lot of new homes that were just built sitting on the market for 6 months. It really is interesting that an area such as the one I'm currently renting in can have so many of all of what I just listed above. They are building like crazy in my area, and what gets me is I see a house about half way built and it says "sold" so that tells me someone went to that contractor and got a loan and the contractor is building them that home to their specifications. That's what I'm interested in.

I will trying and post in the forum you mentioned above to see if I can receive any more insight on my topic, again thank you for replying.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:12 AM

9 posts, read 12,789 times
Default Flood Zoning

If your going to build check with the country engineers or zoning office or who ever to make sure your not in a flood zone. I heard most of Clarksville was under water in 2010. Food and Wind Insurance can be costly.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 AM

9 posts, read 12,789 times
1. Also, if you going to build I would go to the bank that does constructions loans and ask them who is the most reputable builder in the area. I use to do mortgage loans and we knew who the good ones where. Also, you might want to get a geological study done to make sure your house does not shift over a period of time.

2. Geologic processes damage homes in various states every year and endanger lives. Therefore, it is prudent to identify and understand the potential geologic hazards that exist when buying, building, or selling a home.
Earthquake-related hazards include ground shaking, fault rupture at the surface, liquefaction, and earthquake-induced landslides and flooding.
Slope failure, such as landslide, debris flow, and rock fall.
Problem soil conditions, such as expansive and collapsible soils, ground cracks and fissures, and land subsidence.
Flooding in floodplains, such as from rising streams, lakes, and shallow groundwater.
Radon is a radioactive gas that is produced from the natural decay of uranium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: