Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 AM

68 posts, read 95,050 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move to the Nashville area next month. We're focused on three areas: Bellevue, Smyrna, and Mt. Juliet. How would you characterize the rental market there for apartments? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Kind of a broad question . . . do either of you have jobs lined up and where might they be located? Mt. Juliet is 20 miles from Smyrna and Bellevue is about 30 miles from Mt. Juliet and Smyrna. What is your rental budget? Are you looking for an apartment, townhouse, single family house?? Do you have school age children? Are schools important to you?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:28 AM

We are retired - no jobs lined up. We have retirement income. Rental budget up to $1,500 per month. Prefer an apartment. No children.

I guess I should have been more specific. I am wondering what the apartment market is like. Is it hot, i.e. very low vacancy rate? Are we going to have a hard time finding a vacant apartment?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:44 AM

OK, that's better! I don't know about Mt. Juliet and Smyrna but hopefully someone will AND you can use the Search This Forum option (upper right hand corner in the blue bar, with no threads open). Just type in "Mt. Juliet" and "Smyrna" and "Bellevue" to see what people are saying about the area.

I had two friends who lived in this apartment complex in Bellevue. I was surprised to see they are expanding:

Apartments in Nashville, TN | Colonial Grand at Bellevue

Both friends lived there for several years and liked living there. It's in your price range. Just an example of how far your money will go. Bellevue is one of the more affordable areas of Nashville. Near the Warner parks and Cheekwood Botanical Gardens which is worth joining. They have lectures and some fun exhibits. You might consider volunteering there?

Just over the hill from their apartment was a big shopping center with a Kroger, Starbucks and heaps of restaurants - some family owned and of course, the usual fast food.

As for availability . . Nashville is experiencing a large influx of people and I think occupancy rates are much higher than they were maybe 3 years ago. BUT your budget is decent and I don't think you'll have any real problems finding something you like.

Some people come to the board wanting to spend $600 - $800 and that's a price point that's hard to find here.

Where are you moving from? How did you pick Nashville? I moved from CT 4 years ago and really love it here . . . .

Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM

Thank you for the input. Colonial Grand is on my list for places to check out.

We are moving from Medellin, Colombia. It was my dream to live in a Latin American country for retirement. We moved to Medellin to see if we could live here. We decided to move back to the U.S.

We picked Nashville because of the climate and taxes. I know the sales tax is high in TN, but the property tax is relatively low and the state income tax would not apply to my retirement income.

We plan to look for jobs after we get settled in an apartment. The job locations will greatly affect our decision to buy a house or a condo.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Cool! I am very interested in your stab at overseas retirement as it is something I, too, have considered but I will private message you because we need to stay on topic . . .

One thing to consider is the HALL TAX here in TN which taxes interest and dividend income. Here is the info:

Hall Income Tax

VERY much pissed my Mom off when we moved here. Been on the books for almost 90 years. There are rumblings about repealing it but so far, it's still here. . . .

PS. It may not be an issue for you but thought you should know, just in case!

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 01-05-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-05-2015, 02:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post

One thing to consider is the HALL TAX here in TN which taxes interest and dividend income. Here is the info:

Hall Income Tax

VERY much pissed my Mom off when we moved here. Been on the books for almost 90 years. There are rumblings about repealing it but so far, it's still here. . . .

PS. It may not be an issue for you but thought you should know, just in case!
Yep, there is no state income tax here, OP, but this ^^^ Hall Tax hits well-to-do retirees pretty hard.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM

456 posts, read 586,935 times
Based on what I've seen around Mt. Juliet they are pricey. Mt. Juliet has few apartments that are lower priced anymore. A few years ago Mt. Juliet didn't have hardly any apartments.

Here are some of the best ones:

Aventura at Providence | Apartments in Mt. Juliet, TN
Premier apartment community in Mount Juliet, TN
Active Adult Retirement Communities | Lake Providence | Mt. Juliet, TN | Del Webb New Home Builders (adult living community)
Deerfield at Providence | Apartments for Rent in Mt. Juliet, TN

Old 01-07-2015, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville