Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,125 times

Advertisements

My wife, 9 year old daughter, and I may be relocating to the Nashville area from outside Atlanta. I would like to find suggestions for areas that have great public schools and we won't be ostracized for being who we are. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 07:10 PM

374 posts, read 693,100 times
Budget (renting or buying)? Any commuting considerations?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:26 PM

456 posts, read 586,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niasa1215 View Post
My wife, 9 year old daughter, and I may be relocating to the Nashville area from outside Atlanta. I would like to find suggestions for areas that have great public schools and we won't be ostracized for being who we are. Thanks for the help.
I'm not sure Nashville is the right city for your guys. Regardless of what a few people will say on this forum, Nashville is still a very strong Christian community and pretty strong christian leaning morals still by most people. You will not get ostracized by all, but it will happen here that some will ostracize you no doubt.

My guess would be that Atlanta would certainly be more "gay friendly" than Nashville. Atlanta certainly seems to be more diverse.

FYI-This just happened last week:
Davidson Academy turns down children because parents are gay

Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
I'm not sure Nashville is the right city for your guys. Regardless of what a few people will say on this forum, Nashville is still a very strong Christian community and pretty strong christian leaning morals still by most people. You will not get ostracized by all, but it will happen here that some will ostracize you no doubt.

My guess would be that Atlanta would certainly be more "gay friendly" than Nashville. Atlanta certainly seems to be more diverse.

FYI-This just happened last week:
Davidson Academy turns down children because parents are gay
I'd imagine Nashville to be fine. I'm gay and live in rural Texas with my partner and even here have little problems (though I wouldn't wanna live in rural Texas or raise a family here, for the rest of my life) so I can't imagine all of Nashville to be that bad. The south is changing, and realise that Christian does NOT equal homophobic or homo-opposing.

However, gay families might get a bit of different reaction than gay male young adults, I still can't imagine Nashville to be terrible. Out of all the cities in Tennessee, Nashville seems like the best one to be gay in.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
That school being a Christian school makes this story unsurprising. They only make themselves look bad with their decision.

You guys would be fine here. You'll find the same types of people in Nashville that you've found in Atlanta. Those people being of all different races, beliefs, backgrounds and ideologies. Just like you'll find people against your choices anywhere, you'll find people that support it here just like anywhere.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:08 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
You will be fine here. One of the largest evangelical churches in Franklin came out this week in favor of gay marriage. It made the national media.

I would suggest sticking to Nashville proper or next over suburbs like Rutherford, Williamson, Sumner, and not going further out into more rural counties.

What is your budget.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:54 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I would suggest sticking to Nashville proper or next over suburbs like Rutherford, Williamson, Sumner, and not going further out into more rural counties.
Agree with this. My friends had lots of issues with the grade school in Franklin school district that their children were attending. They ended up moving back to California. They really wish they had not listened to everyone who said that they HAD to have Williamson County schools.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:59 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Agree with this. My friends had lots of issues with the grade school in Franklin school district that their children were attending. They ended up moving back to California. They really wish they had not listened to everyone who said that they HAD to have Williamson County schools.
... Or was their school in the Franklin Special School District? Do you even know? What school was it?

OP, I would look in Nashvile areas zoned for Inglewood Elem or Kirkpatrick Elem. Very active parent groups and diverse socioeconomic etc populations

Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Californians tend to move back to California. They don't adapt well outside of their natural habitat . . . .

But seriously, if you stick to Nashville 'proper' and surrounding suburbs you should be fine. Feel free to let us know what areas you are considering. Why Nashville, might I ask?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:22 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
... Or was their school in the Franklin Special School District? Do you even know? What school was it?

OP, I would look in Nashvile areas zoned for Inglewood Elem or Kirkpatrick Elem. Very active parent groups and diverse socioeconomic etc populations
Yes, Franklin Special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville